Author Topic: Scored an amazing deal  (Read 909 times)

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
Scored an amazing deal
« on: October 17, 2019, 12:48:26 PM »
There's a store locally I had never been to which sells returns/unboxed items that they get from Amazon by the truckload.  My buddy was in there and saw a Davis weather station and texted me to see if I would be interested.  He didn't know much about it, and I don't think the store owners did either.  I went to look at it the other day and it turns out that this was a Davis 6163, which according to my latest catalog has a list price of $1,380.  Seems like most retailers are selling it for $900 to $1,000.  It was unboxed and all the parts were taped together with packing tape, but everything appeared to be there.  They were asking $300.  I offered $250 and they accepted.   :shock:

Took it home and unwrapped all the tape.  One of the hardware packages had been opened, but I couldn't see anything that was missing.  The console had Amazon batteries included so I popped them in and tested the display.  It all worked fine.  Set the ISS outside and did the initial setup and everything seems to work.  The ISS and console look brand new.  The tipping bucket still had the zip tie on it for shipping.  I poured 150ml of water in the cone slowly and it registered 0.25" rainfall, so it seems to be spot-on per my reading here.  The only thing I can find that's missing is the A/C adapter for the console.  Everything else seems to be present, in brand new condition, and works.  Wow. 

My current station is 12 years old and is working fine, but this new one has the solar, UV, and 24-hour FARS.  So I may put this one into service and store my old one away for parts/backup.

Is there an easy way to see if this new station has the most updated temp/hum sensor in it?
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Scored an amazing deal
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 03:43:15 PM »
I poured 150ml of water in the cone slowly and it registered 0.25" rainfall, so it seems to be spot-on per my reading here. .

Is there an easy way to see if this new station has the most updated temp/hum sensor in it?
One quarter of an inch for a VP2 is 136ml.

To see what sensor you have, slide out the mounting panel and remove the filter. The sensor will be the tiny little black thing, if it's an SHT31 (which it most likely is unless it's been sitting for several years) it will be the shape of  square. If it's the shape of an old fashioned key hole, it's an SHT11. You can also take a strong magnifier and look for the nomenclature.

Either way, if it's all genuine and working properly, you got a hellofa deal. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
You can get the adapter at scaled instruments. Plus shipping cost.
The console will run on just batteries for something like 6 months, some hang them on the wall because they don't like the look of a cord coming down use just batteries.
I personally like the console with the backlight on so power adapter is needed but this messes up the inside temperature. Because I'm such a nerd  :oops: I have 3-ISS's units dedicated to recording just inside temperature including the garage. I use the Envoy8x along with 3 different consoles located computer room, living room, and master bed.  :-)

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/parts/vantage-pro2-parts/display-console-parts/davis-6625-north-american-power-adapter-for-vantage-family-consoles/
Randy

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 05:40:01 PM »
Will have to do some research and figure out if Amazon does this locally, in Philadelphia area, with any stores.  Great deal.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »
I missed the question in your post about the temp/hum sensor. The easiest way is to open the ISS and check the code:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
The easiest way is to open the ISS and check the code:
Forgot about that. Knowing me, I'd still look.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:11:41 PM »
So I installed the station on my tower today and found a little more damage.  The anemometer was scuffed up and the wiring was also scuffed up.  No biggie, I have two other anemometers.

So I have this new ISS mounted on the same tower as my 12-year-old ISS plus I also have a 5-n-1 Accurite station mounted there too.  It's dark, sun has gone down, so solar radiation isn't an issue.  Here are my readings:

Old ISS - 49  64% RH
New ISS - 51  62% RH
5-n-1 - 50  67% RH

Local official mesonet site not far from my house - 49  65% RH

Seems like the new Davis station is reading too warm and too dry.  Hmmm.....

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Not saying it's not, but jeez, give it more than an hour or two. Many varying factors (shield design, sensor response, fan, no fan, ect.) Besides, forget the RH, use your dew point. As a met, you know better...

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 08:48:36 PM »
Not saying it's not, but jeez, give it more than an hour or two. Many varying factors (shield design, sensor response, fan, no fan, ect.) Besides, forget the RH, use your dew point. As a met, you know better...

Yeah I hear you, but it's been up on the tower for about 4 hours now.  It should be well acclimated by now.  I find it interesting that out of my three stations, it's the farthest from matching local official sites that are very close to my house.  I would have expected the newest sensors in these VP2s + fan aspiration to be the most accurate.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 08:57:08 PM »

Yeah I hear you, but it's been up on the tower for about 4 hours now.   I would have expected the newest sensors in these VP2s + fan aspiration to be the most accurate.
You haven't even had it in the sun yet for cryin' out loud...Remember also, you bought this used, sight unseen. Did you physically check to see what SHT you have as well? Even still, no matter what you have, it could still be trash, but obviously replaceable.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 08:47:34 AM »

Yeah I hear you, but it's been up on the tower for about 4 hours now.   I would have expected the newest sensors in these VP2s + fan aspiration to be the most accurate.
You haven't even had it in the sun yet for cryin' out loud...Remember also, you bought this used, sight unseen. Did you physically check to see what SHT you have as well? Even still, no matter what you have, it could still be trash, but obviously replaceable.

Nope I haven't opened it up yet to see which sensor is in there.  As of this morning just before sunrise, it was still running 1.0 to 1.5 degrees warmer than my other two stations.  I'm going to be out of town this weekend, but I may play around with it some more next week.

Technically it was "used" but in practical terms it was new as evidenced by the fact that the stickers were still on it, the tipping spoon was still strapped down, and the unit isn't even dirty.  Looks like it just came out of the box. 

It's no big deal.  I had just read a lot about the SHT-31 sensors and thought if that is what's in my new station then it's interesting that it kind of matches others' experiences with this setup...temp and RH seem slightly off.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »
If the sensor is an SHT31, I've never had a bad unit temperature-wise. I would trust the accuracy since you said the unit was a Davis FARS  6163.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 04:29:31 PM »

As of this morning just before sunrise, it was still running 1.0 to 1.5 degrees warmer than my other two stations. 

It's no big deal.  I had just read a lot about the SHT-31 sensors and thought if that is what's in my new station then it's interesting that it kind of matches others' experiences with this setup...temp and RH seem slightly off.
Well, it could simply be the VP2 is more accurate than the other two. Like ValetineWeather says, the temperature accuracy of the 31 has never really been in question (it's as good as you can get at this level, and that's pretty damn good), only the humidity. Also, was the fan running? Since you just pulled it out of the box, I doubt one or both batteries were installed, that could certainly explain the difference as well. And remember, a fan running in the daytime is basically a must for the 24hr shield as well, it's not designed to be passive.
Like I said, you're being super premature on your evaluation. This isn't an "instant gratification" type of thing, time will tell.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 06:37:44 AM »
WXman you got a heck of deal.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 06:39:47 AM »
Randy, 3 inside temp stations?
Grasshopper, you have achieved ultimate nerd status.
Congratulations.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 07:04:59 AM »
No kidding... :lol:
Randy

anything