Author Topic: Reliability?  (Read 10859 times)

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Reliability?
« on: February 24, 2016, 06:22:46 PM »
Anyone having failure of their BloomSky?
I had it quit yesterday afternoon,  A WiFi reset started it again.
It quit again this morning but was away so could not take a look.  Now a couple of WiFi resets has again got it running.

BloomSky support have been very responsive to my calls.

Paul

Offline waysta

• Contributor
Re: Reliability?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:07:07 PM »
Update: Spoke too soon, ironically DOA and off line Feb. 25, but back online okay with a complete reset 2/26

I've been lucky so far - 100% coms reliability (including a night of -21F); no disconnects since mid January.  (at least no disconnects that required a reset, I suppose there could have been missed data here and there, but none that I've noticed)  Bloom Sky is on a pole above the garage roof, probably about a 50 to 60 foot diagonal line from an indoor wall mounted Netgear R7000 Nighthawk WiFi router at the other side of my ranch home.

Others have more experience with WiFi issues.  Tell us what you learn.

PS: I keep an old Moto Droid around to run Android "WiFi Optimizer".  It makes a spectrum analyzer like graph of the WiFi channels so you can change your WiFi router to a least used channel in your neighborhood, Channel 9 for me.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:55:55 PM by waysta »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
Hmmm

based on the comments here on the forum it looks to me like the support is very good, but on the other hand, the product quite unreliable. I mean look how many people here have it - not so many - and they've only had it for couple of days and already so many problems... with a product that should work without any problems several yrs

Offline cjohlandt

• Cedar Ridge Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 08:02:28 PM »
I wonder if there's a problem with the most recent batch of BloomSky's?  My initial Kickstarter unit had a black ring on the camera and they replaced it with no hassle.  I've had my current unit for over 6 months now and have had zero problems and the initial Kickstarter editions have been in use since last summer.  Keep in mind that the experiences on this board represent a relatively minor subset of all BloomSky users.  Looking at their map (https://map.bloomsky.com/?utm_source=Weatherlution&utm_medium=blog&utm_campaign=nav%20bar%20link), they've got over 3,000 units deployed worldwide.

-Chris
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, WeatherLink Live
WXM WiFi (identical to Ecowitt WS69), Ecowitt GW2000
PurpleAir PA-II

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 08:45:40 PM »
Knock on wood, mine is running just fine and has withstood over 2.50 inches of rain with no issues.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 09:26:41 PM »
Well, I'm one of the unfortunate.  My unit is having video issues. BloomSky's tech support has been great.

Waiting for a new unit, they are exchanging it.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 07:48:51 AM »
From my experience I’ve had one unit replaced.  This was due to what started out as a possible UV sensor failure which then seemed to work or dry out.  But, then the camera gave out.  Bloomsky was quick to replace it which included a prepaid shipping label.

One of my current units continues to have a problem (?) with the on/off button.  It was my understanding that while the device is operating normally, the on/off button will flash (green) for a few seconds.  Mine does not.  Other than that it seems be operating fine.

All of the units I’ve dealt with have very quirky on/off buttons.  Although I was able to get them turned on, they reminded me of priming a hand water pump. 

The other area that needs attention is with the app and how it handles a simple router/Wi-Fi reconnect.  Although there is a separate button in the app for this action, it appears to loop (?) back to the ‘add new device’ screen.  This is fine, except then it asks for you to name your unit.  You shouldn’t have to rename the unit if all you’re doing is resetting your Wi-Fi.

The other area of concern is that of the Wi-Fi range.  I understand this is not totally the fault of Bloomsky, however like many producers of Wi-Fi gear, the advertised Wi-Fi  range often falls short of delivery.  In defense, it’s often hard to predict or estimate the average users’ environment with microwaves, cordless phones, walls, etc. 

Only time will tell how these units hold up.  From what I’ve seen they’ve done fairly well dealing with the brutal cold weather.  The next test will be this summer when the sun can produce temps well into the 90’s and a heat index beyond that.

Overall the Bloomsky support team has been very good.  Informative, courteous and helpful.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 11:17:24 AM »
Working fine since day 1.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:45:45 AM »
Mine stopped working yesterday afternoon after working well for a few weeks.
It now says offline.  I tried several resets but it won't come back online.
I left a message with Bloomsky support.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 12:35:36 PM »
Yours too Tom? Wow... well then I guess I dont regret much I did not get one.... looks to me like it more often does not work or stops working than works fine... at least here on the forum

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 12:58:44 PM »
I'm down now too.  They might be doing some system wide upgrades/improvements?  I try to remain optimistic, but I'm having some doubts now too ...

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »
I only see two possibilities:

1. the device is extremely unreliable
2. it is what you suggested - some kind of upgrade, but then I still think this is unacceptable - not letting the users know? And in fact, even if they did let you know, the upgrades cannot be done in a way that means your cam is offline for hours/days!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 01:18:45 PM »
Mine is working at the moment.

I've been running one near half-a year now.  The only issue I've had is a "psychedelic" camera that they replaced.

I've never had it just stop reporting except when I let the battery run out.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 01:21:56 PM »
Since Dec 25, 2015:

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4rJqo

88 followers can't be wrong... 8-)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 01:22:41 PM »
Mine stopped working yesterday afternoon after working well for a few weeks.
It now says offline.  I tried several resets but it won't come back online.
I left a message with Bloomsky support.

It it "offline" everywhere, or just the app?

A couple weeks ago mine said "offline" in the app, but was still accessible through the web.

I had to completely shut down the app on my iPhone, then re-opened it, and then it was fine.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
My details table is being updated regularly, but the camera still shows the effect from the snow we got until mid morning, but I now see a small spot of the neighbour's driveway so it must be working.

It looks like a lot of sites are having that same snow effect on their camera, at least from clicking on the map locations in nearby Michigan.

Paul

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 01:37:37 PM »
My details table is being updated regularly, but the camera still shows the effect from the snow we got until mid morning, but I now see a small spot of the neighbour's driveway so it must be working.

It looks like a lot of sites are having that same snow effect on their camera, at least from clicking on the map locations in nearby Michigan.

Paul

Thanks Paul

Praying for warmer weather...lets melt some of that snow.

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »
I can connect to my BloomSky using app on my Android but its offline in App and Dashboard and API giving errors.  Did try resets, different router and recreating device, ng.

As mentioned they may have a system issue since there are so many new BloomSky installed over last few weeks.

I really like this product and I know they still ironing out bugs and new features so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  It's possible I have a defective unit but hopefully their support can resolve this for me quickly.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
mine's DOA since 8:56 am this morning (had hours lag in data iOS and WU before that)  Problems started some time after I sent an email about my baro thread to Bloom Sky yesterday (could be a coincidence). 

In iOS I used to have to click on some nearby station on the map one or two times to get my Bloom Sky to update.  Now, if I click on a nearby station then on my temp circle I get nothing in the lower part of the map (my station is gone ..., except for the blue temp circle, bummer)

It's been 100% reliable as to up-time for weeks before that.

Got to say, not in a hurry to climb to the roof and remove the heavy pole mount to be doing resets.

2/26 Update: So, I did the climb 2/25 evening, an entire reset using the iOS App, and all seems okay Feb 26 (but, on a wood stand in the backyard for now).

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:58:02 PM by waysta »

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 05:26:19 PM »
There is quite a bit of ice and snow built up on the unit...
A little wiping off of the lens and all is good again https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnZSmmaar

Paul

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 04:12:17 PM »
I can connect to my BloomSky using app on my Android but its offline in App and Dashboard and API giving errors.  Did try resets, different router and recreating device, ng.

As mentioned they may have a system issue since there are so many new BloomSky installed over last few weeks.

I really like this product and I know they still ironing out bugs and new features so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  It's possible I have a defective unit but hopefully their support can resolve this for me quickly.

Here is an update.

I contacted Bloomsky support and today they called me back and had me download a new diagnostics tool to help determine the problem.  The diag tools needs python which I had to download.   Unfortunately when I run tool I get errors so I'm waiting for support to give me next steps.

I've also reached out to lijun from Bloomsky who is also trying to help me.

It seems many others have a similar problems recently and found this POST on Bloomsky support.

They are working my issue but my patience is running very thin....

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 08:02:51 PM »
A week ago I started this thread that my Bloomsky had quit again, but was able to get it going again by doing a Wifi reset.   I called Bloomsky and they said they would send a new unit.  Since that time it has had intermittent shut downs and restarts - WU sends an email that it has stopped sending and a few hours later sends a message that it is uploading again, without me doing anything.  Both yesterday and today I have had 2 shut downs (no data in the detail table for those times either).  Anyone else have these shut downs and restarts?

Now today I received my replacement Bloomsky and if most other Bloomsky users are not getting these periodic shut downs then I will use the new unit.

By the way, less than one week to get a new unit from Bloomsky to me in Komoka, Canada and no charges from UPS, and no custom or taxes this time.  I am very pleased with Bloomsky support =D> =D> .

Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 08:26:16 PM »
Interesting... I know about several people who already got a free replacement, not to mention the number of units they gave away for free... looks like a very good and fair support and very unreliable product :D Which btw. is not very good combination, because they will soon run out of money...

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 09:03:33 PM »
I got my Bloomsky in December, put it outside the next day on a tripod, and it has been working ever since.  This is only a couple months, but it has seen heavy rain, freezing rain, sleet, heavy snow, and a thunderstorm.  It just keeps taking pictures which is what I wanted it for.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 02:43:48 AM »
I see no big problem with "reliability".

Customer service seems reasonable.  They issue replacements when something is clearly broken. 

However, I  find them a bit "opaque" as far as technical information goes.  For example, we still have no clear answer about the problems with pressure readings.  I don't understand why they just can't explain what is going on.  It shouldn't be a big secret.

The pressure on my original BloomSky was very wildly off, but the they said it was "in spec".  I'm talking about 40 or so mb (hPa) or worse.

My newer Bloomsky  is better, but still 8 mb off.  There's really no reason it shouldn't be within 1 mb with today's tech. 

Another example is the operating temperature range.  They make claims now that the unit only goes down to -4F, but that doesn't jibe with their original specifications and battery upgrades that go down to -40F.

In short, I wouldn't call their equipment "unreliable", but I'm not pleased that they aren't answering technical questions satisfactorily.

anything