Author Topic: Change to WS80 anemometer power design  (Read 325 times)

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
Change to WS80 anemometer power design
« on: May 23, 2022, 05:34:16 PM »
After a recent conversation with Ecowitt support I passed on the customer request for an alternative method of powering the WS80 unit - a battery extension pack.

Support came back to me saying that modifications had recently been made to the WS80 so that a newer version will draw power from the 12 volt heater power supply if used - the same as the new Wittboy WS90 array.

Our last delivery in early April did not include this revision and asking Ecowitt further the change cannot be visually identified without dismantling the product.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline DelChard

• Senior Contributor
Re: Change to WS80 anemometer power design
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 06:07:40 AM »
This doesn't help those with existing units.
I still intend adding my own power supply should increasing age/infirmity require me to do so.
I've kept the battery cover from my replaced unit just in case.

Online broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: Change to WS80 anemometer power design
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 08:15:54 AM »
I'd really like to have this but replacing the unit is not an option unless it fails under warranty.  I think they need to think about an upgrade package as I'm thinking this could be reasonably simple for at least  some folks to do.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.