Author Topic: [RESOLVED] VP2: Using an old console with a new instrument  (Read 829 times)

Offline uncleop

[RESOLVED] VP2: Using an old console with a new instrument
« on: February 29, 2020, 02:08:57 PM »
Over a decade ago I had a nice VP2 setup with two consoles, one with a USB data logger. Time passed, and I was left with just the old VP2 console that had the data logger. Some more time passed, and I bought a new VP2.

I set up the new instrument with its new console a couple of months ago, and it was looking good. So I dug out the older console, put in fresh batteries, and fired it up. It connected, and when I compared the two, I saw a bunch of differences. The things that were the same:
  • Both are labeled as "Product #6312"
  • Both are labeled as "IC: 3788A-6312"

What's different:
  • The old model number is 6152
  • The new model number is 6153
  • As noted in the attached picture (older console on top, newer on bottom), the inside and outside temperature add a single place decimal fraction; the old unit only displays integer info Fixed thanks to miraculon
  • The important part: the old console is reporting windspeed as less than half of the new console! Resolved thanks to the eagle eyes (johnd and dalecoy) who spotted the UNITS for Wind were set to m/s instead of MPH. d'oh!

It's the windspeed that has me particularly bothered, since I was hoping to use the old unit with its original data logger, but I am concerned that if I start reporting data it will be wrong.

I did try to completely reset the old unit with the "CLEAR-for-six-seconds" technique. I stepped through all the SETUP mode configuration items and other than the extra data-logger speed setting on the old console they are identical.

I haven't tried to contact Davis yet; that's on my list. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 10:39:17 PM by uncleop »
KC1NKL, Davis Vantage Pro 2

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Re: VP2: Using an old console with a new instrument
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 02:20:37 PM »
Do you have the cup size set correctly on the old console?
Mark

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 03:05:14 PM »
the inside and outside temperature add a single place decimal fraction; the old unit only displays integer info

You can change this by selecting "TEMP", then pressing 2nd UNITS until you get either integer or decimal degrees. You will be going through the °C mode, but it will cycle back to °F if that is what you want. Apparently the decimal (tenths) are treated as another "unit".

So it cycles as following:

XX°F >> XX.y°F  >> XX°C >> XX.y°C

When TEMP has been active/selected.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline uncleop

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 03:23:06 PM »
Thanks for the units help; that worked.

Now waiting to hear if anyone has thoughts on the windspeed issue.

Offline uncleop

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »
Do you have the cup size set correctly on the old console?

The wind cup size is set to "large" for both consoles.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 04:02:33 PM »
Re the wind speed: Not doubting your data but that sounds weird if not impossible (for two consoles seeing the same anemometer messages to be consistently differing by 50% in reported speeds). There's nothing I know of that would account for this. For optimum comparability the consoles ought, if possible, to be at the same firmware revision, though that's only going to make small differences to reported wind speed.

Are you sure that the two consoles are set to the same wind speed units? If so then I would start to suspect differences in reception, ie at least one console is missing some speed messages. But I would want to see more actual data.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 04:50:55 PM »
In your photo, the
Top console shows 2.7 METERS PER SECOND.
Bottom console shows 7 MILES PER HOUR

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 05:20:13 PM »
In your photo, the
Good catch.... I missed that too..lol
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline uncleop

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 10:36:22 PM »
In your photo, the

d'oh! Yeah, that would do it I, huh? I even did the "CLEAR" thing, and all the other UNITS were good. 

Thanks all!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 03:52:58 PM »
In your photo, the

d'oh! Yeah, that would do it I, huh? I even did the "CLEAR" thing, and all the other UNITS were good. 

Thanks all!

The Clear All command clears all stored high and low weather data including monthly
and yearly highs and lows and clears the alarm settings.  It doesn't change any settings (for example, units)

Presumption: Your old console was "always" showing meters per second for wind speed.

For future reference of other participants - how did you change the setting?

Offline uncleop

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »
In your photo, the

Thanks all!

The Clear All command clears all stored high and low weather data including monthly
and yearly highs and lows and clears the alarm settings.  It doesn't change any settings (for example, units)

Presumption: Your old console was "always" showing meters per second for wind speed.
While not impossible, highly unlikely. The older console has been in storage - without batteries - since June of 2014. I hesitate to blame "bit rot", but it's either that or some accidental and unintentional button mashing while restarting it that may have caused the change.

For future reference of other participants - how did you change the setting?
This was the relatively easy part (once you know you need to do it):
  • I selected "WIND"
  • Made sure that speed (and not angle/direction) was displayed
  • I pressed "2nd" then "UNITS" (the shift of the "GRAPH" button) until I got "MPH" under the wind speed
There are all sorts of fun options under "UNITS"...

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: [RESOLVED] VP2: Using an old console with a new instrument
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 09:05:14 AM »
The one other thing I would suggest is checking the firmware versions on both.  Would be good to get them up to date.  There are a few calculation tweaks over the years.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline uncleop

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 09:48:22 AM »
The one other thing I would suggest is checking the firmware versions on both.  Would be good to get them up to date.  There are a few calculation tweaks over the years.

You just asked my next question. I did a quick forum search, and didn't see a way to do firmware updates from Linux or MacOS. (I don't do Windows...)

Suggestions? I haven't looked to see if WINE will serve here.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »
You need to do console firmware updates from a Windows environment - there is no alternative. I think a few users may have been successful with a Windows emulator, but I'd have thought that the simplest option was to borrow a Windows laptop for a short period.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 10:16:15 AM »
If the old console is *really* old, then the firmware update may require a hardware programmer to upgrade it. What firmware version is it?
Mark

Offline uncleop

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 10:29:05 AM »
If the old console is *really* old, then the firmware update may require a hardware programmer to upgrade it. What firmware version is it?

The older console reports "Rev 1.60 (US)" and the newer console reports "Rev 3.83 (US)".

Both are physically labeled as "Product #6312", and both are indeed wireless (not cabled) consoles.

What is interesting to me is that my newer (bought last year) unit has a firmware rev higher than what is currently available on the Davis site (3.80). Of course the release date on the site is now over two years old (21-Feb-2018).

I guess at some point when the Round Tuit supply is greater a call to the Davis support line will be in order.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 11:01:25 AM »
The older console reports "Rev 1.60 (US)" and the newer console reports "Rev 3.83 (US)".

That's fine - any console with a numeric version number (or made in 2006) can be updated with downloadable firmware.

What is interesting to me is that my newer (bought last year) unit has a firmware rev higher than what is currently available on the Davis site (3.80). Of course the release date on the site is now over two years old (21-Feb-2018).

That's not of any great significance. The latest factory F/W is sometimes only compatible with recently manufactured consoles, though there are other explanations too.

I guess at some point when the Round Tuit supply is greater a call to the Davis support line will be in order.

Not sure that support will be able to tell you anything that isn't available more quickly/reliably here. (Unless eg you need a change made to a weatherlink.com account, which - in certain instances - only Davis Support can do.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

anything