Author Topic: Problems with the Meteostick! **solved**  (Read 1485 times)

Offline zakos52

• Vyronas Weather Station
Problems with the Meteostick! **solved**
« on: October 16, 2021, 09:08:05 AM »
Hi forum

I have had the meteostick for a year now, and I have identified 3 problems!

1.With calibrate the temperature and humidity the values in the dew point and in the heat index that the meteostick sends to the weather networks, are without calibrate, i.e. error! From the settings selecting th0dew and th0heatindex I can not find the appropriate value that will fix the problem.
2. The rainrate recorded by the meteostick is different from that given by the weatherlink. That is with rain 0.2mm and max rainrate 0.2 mm/h from weatherlink, The meteostick gives 0.2mm rain and 0.8 max rainrate! With rain 12mm and max rainrate 35.2 mm/h from weatherlink, Meteostick gives 12mm rain and 25.1 mm/h max rain rate!
3.Several times, the maximum daytime temperature that the meteostick receives is 0.1 degrees Celsius lower than the temperature that the console receives!

I have mentioned the above in the meteorbride forum but for problem 1, which is how serious I have unfortunately not received any answer, ie whether it can be corrected with an software upgrade or not.
      Pity

P.S I have Davis Vantage Vue, the meteostick is 20cm away from the console and receives data from it (the console retransmits) The same thing happens when the meteostick receives data directly from the ISS!
The meteobridge runs on Raspberry Pi 4 with sd card ATP SLC and with SW Version: Meteobridge 5.2 (Oct 10 2021, build 2643), FW 1.3

Best regards
Kostas
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 04:56:22 AM by docbee »

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
Re: Problems with the Meteostick!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 03:46:38 AM »
Hi, don't have a solution for you, but some thoughts.

1. What do you mean with the Meteostick sending to weather networks? As far as I know, this Meteostick itself does not have that ability. It can simply relay updates from your Davis station.

2. The rain rate. Once again, does the Meteostick itself calculate this? If I recall, the raw data only contains a number representing the number of times the spoon or bucket has tipped. What other software do you have connected that may be calculating the rain rate?

3. The missing 0.1 degrees max might be due to poor connection of the Meteostick. The WeatherLink reception is much much better. It might be that your thermometer tipped max temp shortly, and that this was a package the Meteostick missed.

So, I'm thinking only 3 might be a Meteostick issue, the other 2 are related do other software you run on the Meteobridge.
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Apogee Instruments TS-100
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink
Wemos D1 Mini micro controllers
https://blog.meteodrenthe.nl
https://meteodrenthe.nl
https://twitter.com/meteodrenthe

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 11:44:25 AM »
1.With calibrate the temperature and humidity the values in the dew point and in the heat index that the meteostick sends to the weather networks, are without calibrate, i.e. error! From the settings selecting th0dew and th0heatindex I can not find the appropriate value that will fix the problem.
Calibration has to be done by Meteobridge which provides options for that. Please read the meteobridge wiki.
BTW, how should a Meteobridge not connected to your console know about calibrations made in the console? Therefore, it needs to be specified in the Meteobridge. I hope that sounds logical to you as well.

2. The rainrate recorded by the meteostick is different from that given by the weatherlink. That is with rain 0.2mm and max rainrate 0.2 mm/h from weatherlink, The meteostick gives 0.2mm rain and 0.8 max rainrate! With rain 12mm and max rainrate 35.2 mm/h from weatherlink, Meteostick gives 12mm rain and 25.1 mm/h max rain rate!
Rain rate is a rather undefined value as it is not the amount of rain that has fallen the last 60 minutes but a prediction into the future based on how frequently the rain bucket has flipped in the last couple of minutes. Regarding the window of time this is measured in you get different results. The precise value is anyway rather useless. It is more a vague measure about current rain intensity.

3.Several times, the maximum daytime temperature that the meteostick receives is 0.1 degrees Celsius lower than the temperature that the console receives!
I hope you know that your sensors are not 0.1 degrees precise, so your complaint is a bit on the funny side. However, some of the Davis sensors do not report temperature via RF as digital numbers, but as analog values that need to be converted. As Davis does not publish details about that Meteobridge needs to compute on its own. If it is 0.1 degrees off sometimes, that is pretty good imho.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline zakos52

Re: Problems with the Meteostick! **solved**
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 02:52:29 PM »
Calibration has to be done by Meteobridge which provides options for that. Please read the meteobridge wiki.
BTW, how should a Meteobridge not connected to your console know about calibrations made in the console? Therefore, it needs to be specified in the Meteobridge. I hope that sounds logical to you as well.

Sorry but I did not spell the sentence correctly.
Obviously I did the same calibration on the meteostick and the console!
Well the meteostick sends to the weather networks, the values of dewpoint and heatindex before the calibration, that is, wrong values!
For a year now I have been waiting for some upgrade that will fix the problem, but in vain.
 I have informed Boris(smartbedded)  from the first moment.
 Too bad because the meteostick is quite interesting.

P.S.
The problem has not been solved yet.
The report is incorrect
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:01:09 PM by zakos52 »

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 05:38:59 AM »
can you please share a screen shot of the calibrations you did on Meteobridge and the sensor mapping you applied? Which weather networks are impacted?

How much calibration do we speak of? Again just 0.1 degrees or something above the tolerance of the sensors?
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline zakos52

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 07:10:27 AM »
The calibration in the meteostick is Temp. = - 0.7 and Hum. = 8% (image1)
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
With Output Temp. = 15.2 and Hum. = 52% the correct values are
 Dewpoint = 5.4 and heatindex = 15.2 (image2)
But meteostick sends prices to ALL networks
Dewpoint = 3.7 and heatindex = 15.9 (image3) which is wrong!

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 06:30:33 PM »
Dewpoint and heatindex are stored as separate values in the Meteobridge database and are not computed from temp and humidity when requested. You can also calibrate these data entries separately but not by computing something from other sensors. If you cannot live with it, choose another product.

Offline zakos52

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 02:03:51 AM »

Dewpoint and heatindex are stored as separate values in the Meteobridge database and are not computed from temp and humidity when requested. You can also calibrate these data entries separately but not by computing something from other sensors. If you cannot live with it, choose another product.

Do you have this information from the manufacturer of the meteostick or is it your assessment?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 02:45:48 AM »

Do you have this information from the manufacturer of the meteostick or is it your assessment?

Check the signature of his post. He is the developer. Of the programs and designer of the hardware.

Offline zakos52

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 08:07:13 AM »
If you cannot live with it, choose another product.

Rest assured if this problem had been reported on the meteostick website, I would not have purchased it and possibly other potential buyers.

A product manufactured to send data to weather networks cannot send the wrong data(D.P and H.I) when changes(calibration) are made to temperature and humidity! 

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 04:37:56 PM »
Well obviously others understand the mechanics with the database storage? Have you bothered to look into how these data values can be calibrated separately?

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 06:57:23 AM »
Rest assured if this problem had been reported on the meteostick website, I would not have purchased it and possibly other potential buyers.

A product manufactured to send data to weather networks cannot send the wrong data(D.P and H.I) when changes(calibration) are made to temperature and humidity! 

To bring this thread to an end...

The Meteostick just reports data from the sensors. Sensors do not report heat index or dew point.
When Meteobridge reads data from the Meteostick it computes dew point and heat index. This data is computed correctly and sent to weather networks. There is nothing to blame here.

The edge case "zakos52" is complaining about is that when he applies a manual calibration to temperature and humidity then Meteobridge does not automatically also reflect this to heat index and dew point, but will need a separate calibration for these values. This is sub-optimal not just because extra work, but because it cannot be applied 100% correctly because a calibration of previously computated data is not identical to a computation on calibrated base data. Reason for this is how Meteobridge stores values, nothing to be changed easily. As said... if not having that is a deal breaker, then Meteobridge is not the right tool. This is not meant offensive it is just the plain truth.

As said before, we are talking about an edge case and a variance in sub degree level.

Offline zakos52

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 04:14:29 AM »
As said... if not having that is a deal breaker, then Meteobridge is not the right tool. This is not meant offensive it is just the plain truth.

THIS CLEAR TRUTH, AS RECOGNIZED BY YOU, must It should be listed on the page where the meteostick(https://www.smartbedded.com/wiki/index.php/Meteostick) is purchased, so that EVERY CANDIDATE BUYER KNOWS IT.

P.S.
It will certainly be known that every year the sensors (temperature and humidity) need calibration, compared to a reference sensor, because there are deviations from the real values!
Therefore the meteostick is not the right tool!!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 04:29:30 AM »
When you find the right tool that is apparently going to meet your needs, can you let everybody else know what it is?   

Offline gszlag

• Forecaster
  • ..have you calibrated your barometer today?
    • Michael's Bay - Manitoulin Island weather
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 07:01:15 AM »
When you find the right tool that is apparently going to meet your needs, can you let everybody else know what it is?
I always wanted a Meteobridge so I am following this thread with some interest.

Am I understanding the OP concerns correctly - that if you apply a correction/calibration to a sensor(s), then calculated or derived values are in error?

I am not sure what you meant by a separate calibration. Are you thinking post processing software as a work-around?

Other questions come to mind. If the device firmware does not allow for corrections/offsets or worse, produces errors what about the other Meteobridge products? Are they similarly affected as well?
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
Ecowitt WS68: Anemometer, UV/solar
Ecowitt WH40: Rain gauge
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning sensor
Ecowitt WH32E: Outside T & H sensor
Stratus Rain Gauge (manual)
Raspberry Pi 3B+ (WeeWX/CumulusMX)
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W (WeeWX/MQTT/Belchertown)
---
Barometer wiki: http://meshka.eu/Ecowitt/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=barometer#barometer
---
http://weather.glenns.ca (pwsdashboard - live)
http://weewx.glenns.ca
http://glenns.ca/cumulusmx2/index.htm
---
Uploading to: AWN, ecowitt.net, Weather Underground, PWSweather.com, AWEKAS, Windy.com, WOW

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 06:09:08 AM »
As said... if not having that is a deal breaker, then Meteobridge is not the right tool. This is not meant offensive it is just the plain truth.

THIS CLEAR TRUTH, AS RECOGNIZED BY YOU, must It should be listed on the page where the meteostick(https://www.smartbedded.com/wiki/index.php/Meteostick) is purchased, so that EVERY CANDIDATE BUYER KNOWS IT.

P.S.
It will certainly be known that every year the sensors (temperature and humidity) need calibration, compared to a reference sensor, because there are deviations from the real values!
Therefore the meteostick is not the right tool!!!

Could you please stop yelling. I took my time to explain the technical background to you in detail. I understand that you are much focussed on this and regular recalibrating your sensors is a big thing to you. I don't see the fact that derived values like dew and heatindex don't act on a calibration of temperature and humidity in Meteobridge as a big issue. When I started with Meteobridge there was not even the option to calibrate sensors from within Meteobridge. As mentioned, you can calibrate dew and heatindex with an offset and a factor in Meteobridge and this will come very close to have it computed from calibrated temp and hum data. As said, if this has stellar importance to you, get another SW.

Your accusations regarding false product descriptions of Meteostick show your lack of willing to understand that the Meteostick does not provide any calibration. Calibration is done by Meteobridge. As Metobridge assumes the sensor data coming in is already fine (and may be calibrated in the weather station), calibration options for derived data are limited in the way explained.

Sorry, that you are unhappy but may be you take a breath and rethink if all the drama in bold and red is worth the "issue". Thanks.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 07:34:44 AM »
I took a coffee and inspected the relevant code sections and I think I found a way to have calibration of temp/hum in Meteobridge also automatically reflected in dew point and heat index data without breaking the whole calibration schema. Please give the just released version a try.

Offline zakos52

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 04:21:17 AM »
I took a coffee and inspected the relevant code sections and I think I found a way to have calibration of temp/hum in Meteobridge also automatically reflected in dew point and heat index data without breaking the whole calibration schema. Please give the just released version a try.

This should have been your answer from the first moment. The problem would have been solved without "voices" and "red" letters!
Finally coffee helps! Because there was no need to make changes to the calibration schema. Now we can close the thread with "solved"!

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Re: Problems with the Meteostick! **solved**
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 04:58:48 AM »
What a nice reply without any appreciation for doing the additional implementation.  :roll: