Author Topic: AS3595 not Detecting Strikes  (Read 37173 times)

Offline Jet

Re: AS3595 not Detecting Strikes
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:25 AM »
Well I had a severe storm pass over. If the signal threshold was set at 0, it was picking up signals, but none seemed to correlate to what I could visually see out the window. For example I could see a strike, and it would not register. Or it would pick up a strike that I did not see and no thunder. So I set the threshold to 1 and received a few signals all at 1km, but the BO network picked up at least 20 in the close range area and I visually saw more that neither picked up.

My experience with the AS3935 so far is that, setting it too sensitive makes it less sensitive to local strikes, and make it less sensitive makes it's less sensitive to remote strikes.  When playing with it as a device on it's own (i.e. not connected to red), I've found the default settings to be the best, and there are situations where you pickup small intracloud discharges.  I haven't played with it a lot with the Red yet, but the storm I had roll through yesterday, I had accurate timing when strikes were overhead (i.e. flash, alarm alert co-incident with about 50% of the stokes I could see / hear correlation, and much better detection than BO).  Also, the distance when the storm approached and left also made sense for the level of activity / movement on radar (i.e. 20-40km out).

Well I haI am thinking about remotely locating the AS3935 away from the controller. Right now it is in the basement garage which is mostly underground except for the garage doors. Will longer wires work? Is there a good place to get them pre-made? Or is something like the boards that Jet made the way to go?

Longer wires likely won't work with I2C.  I2C is fairly low powered and assumes low capacitance in it's cabling, which means short cables.  Theorectically you should be able to get a few feet out of i2C, without any drivers, and reducing the speed should help too however I've heard reports on the red that 6 inches is about the limit until you start getting corruption.

There are a few options for the boards.  The AS3935 does not have legs, so it's the only component that's hard to solder without solder paste / reflow technique.  Everything else is 0603's, SSOPs (i.e. similar to soldering a red controller), and then there's a TSSOP which is still solderable just (with some solder wick).  The prototype I did was toaster oven reflowed, and vias / thru hole were hand soldered afterwards, only because if I was reflowing the AS3935, I might as well reflow the rest at the same time.  I have heard the AS3935 can be hand soldered, but have never tried that as it looks like it would be a pain, the pads to wrap around so it should be just about possible.

I don't really want to get into mass producing / assembling boards, but would consider ordering a few purple PCB's from OSHPark (lead time 4 weeks) and hand assembling (or part assembling) a few at close to cost for those who already have a station running and contribute their time to the community.  I.E. As pay back for the excellent resources you're contributing to.  PM me.
Station 1046: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2014, 08:38:26 AM »
Since the controller was moved from the basement to the attic, we haven't had any real storms. However there are a few random signals picked up from time to time. The interface is showing signals at different ranges (27km, 31km, etc...) but on the webpage, they are all showing as 1km. We are looking at a good chance of some storms early next week and that should give a good test of the new location.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2014, 09:06:16 AM »
I continue to run the Acu-Rite lightning detector that uses the AS3935. http://www.acurite.com/lightning-detector-02020.html

It seems to be working well and is not giving the false indications that the board interfaced to RED does. It is literally right next to the AS3935 interfaced to the RED.

It is either the conducted noise and grounding, or something unique to the software. I suspect the former. I don't think the chip is at fault since the Acu-Rite works well.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Jet

« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2014, 09:29:31 AM »
It is either the conducted noise and grounding, or something unique to the software. I suspect the former. I don't think the chip is at fault since the Acu-Rite works well.

I would suspect both noise and grounding.  The Discovery board pumps out considerable noise, and grounding an AS3935 I've found to seriously reduce the number of strikes that are detected as lightning, whilst still detecting disturbers fine.

The best approach I've found to using these in equipment is; sleep the microprocessor for most of the time (cuts down on Noise), and battery operate the device
(solves the grounding issue and removes coupled noise from the PSU).

Also, double check any boards you're using with the Red, have the INN pin on the AS3935 tied to 0V.  The Tautic schematic does not, although the Tautic board itself does, and some boards have been based on the Tautic schematic.

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »
Dave, my web page graphs track the distance (and other data) shown on the Controller Status page exactly. There may be an issue with the scripts, possibly an extraneous line feed somewhere.

If I set the "indoor" setting, I get very little distance discrimination. All strikes show as around 1 km. Setting the "Outdoor" box provides much better distance discrimination. My current settings are attached.

The latest storm results can be seen at:

http://projectmf.homelinux.com/as3935_stats.html

Note the distance ranges and rates. I expanded the graphs to show the last 1000 strikes. I also fixed the scaling issue that was scaling the graphs on all values in the log file, not just the last 1000 strikes.

I'm running with 6" I2C leads and 150KHz I2C clock. The board is powered from the 3.3VDC pin on the 'DISCOVERY board (Important! Don't use the 5VDC pin!). The controller is grounded.

Regards,

Don

Since the controller was moved from the basement to the attic, we haven't had any real storms. However there are a few random signals picked up from time to time. The interface is showing signals at different ranges (27km, 31km, etc...) but on the webpage, they are all showing as 1km. We are looking at a good chance of some storms early next week and that should give a good test of the new location.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2014, 01:23:53 PM »

I would suspect both noise and grounding.  The Discovery board pumps out considerable noise, and grounding an AS3935 I've found to seriously reduce the number of strikes that are detected as lightning, whilst still detecting disturbers fine.

The best approach I've found to using these in equipment is; sleep the microprocessor for most of the time (cuts down on Noise), and battery operate the device
(solves the grounding issue and removes coupled noise from the PSU).

Also, double check any boards you're using with the Red, have the INN pin on the AS3935 tied to 0V.  The Tautic schematic does not, although the Tautic board itself does, and some boards have been based on the Tautic schematic.

Jet,

I am using the Embedded Adventures board. I just checked the board manual and the schematic shows a solid connection to ground for INN. http://www.embeddedadventures.com/datasheets/MOD-1016_hw_v4_doc_v2.pdf

Greg H.

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »
I continue to run the Acu-Rite lightning detector that uses the AS3935. http://www.acurite.com/lightning-detector-02020.html

It seems to be working well and is not giving the false indications that the board interfaced to RED does. It is literally right next to the AS3935 interfaced to the RED.

Greg H.

Interesting topic, I also bought one of the Embedded Adventures board and another Acu-Rite lightning detector at the same time. Would be interested on the software being used for the board and how you got them lightning strike charts generated for your page. Thanks, will be watching this thread for more info.  :-)

Offline Jet

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2014, 12:16:32 PM »
Jet,

I am using the Embedded Adventures board. I just checked the board manual and the schematic shows a solid connection to ground for INN. http://www.embeddedadventures.com/datasheets/MOD-1016_hw_v4_doc_v2.pdf

Greg H.

You may want to try the approach I used then, i.e. isolate everything from the Red and mount the AS3935 a distance from the Red.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »
Jet,

Greg H.

I think that it is a good idea. I thought of a similar approach myself, but unlike you didn't have the gumption (or time) to pursue it. I'll add it to the "to do" list...

Greg H.

You may want to try the approach I used then, i.e. isolate everything from the Red and mount the AS3935 a distance from the Red.

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »
On the Embedded Adventures boards, how long did it take to receive this board and how did people order them? I ordered mine thru Amazon and still no ship date shown and I ordered it on the 7th, the same time I ordered another Acu-Rite unit and that's almost here.  Frank  :? 

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2014, 02:28:12 PM »
I ordered mine directly from Embedded Adventures last December. I don't recall exactly how long it took, it came USPS.

Greg H.

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »
Ok, thanks, just seems strange that I cannot get any emails back from them. I emailed them directly and thru Amazon and no response. On Amazon, it stated 2 left, and I ordered one and it updated saying one left. But yet to see it shipped or any word from them. Guess I'll have to wait..   :?

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2014, 09:12:29 PM »
This is nuts, I haven't heard a word from the seller at all. I emailed, thru Amazon, directly on their site, and even called and no answers at all. I really wanted one of them boards to play with and hopefully generate some of the charts and graphs everyone else is doing once I figure out how they are doing this and the software they are using as well. But until I either hear from them or Amazon, I don't have one to try out. Anyone know if Embedded Adventures is still offering these or if they are in business still? I see this board and others listed, but now support and emails back    #-o

Offline Jet

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2014, 09:17:15 PM »
Did you try their US or UK number?  Looks like they're UK homed.

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2014, 09:23:45 PM »
Did you try their US or UK number?  Looks like they're UK homed.

I tried he US number since it stated if ordered in US then it would come from NY. Are there any other version of these boards out there besides this one, this is painfull. Anyone know of someone that workds there of has had contact with them here on the forum?   ](*,)

Offline Jet

« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »
I tried he US number since it stated if ordered in US then it would come from NY. Are there any other version of these boards out there besides this one, this is painfull. Anyone know of someone that workds there of has had contact with them here on the forum?   ](*,)

If you want to still order from them, try the UK number (EST + 5 hours).  Often places which are homed in another country have distributers for other countries, and the distributers are often not a reflection of the company, so it's worth trying both.

Tautic are the other sellers: https://www.tindie.com/products/TAUTIC/as3935-lightning-sensor-board/ although you'll need to solder 2 resistors for I2C on the back.

If you get stuck, I've got some spare Tautic ones I'm no longer using, which I don't mind selling.  PM me if you have problems sourcing one.

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2014, 09:49:13 PM »
I can try to call them directly and see what happens. I checked the link you posted, boy, with the shipping, its almost twice the cost of the one I ordered  :shock: but if all else fails, I will contact you via PM. Is there any difference between this one and the one I ordered? Thank you !  :-)

Offline Jet

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:44 PM »
Is there any difference between this one and the one I ordered? Thank you !  :-)

The Tautic defaults to SPI, the Embedded defaults to I2C.  Embedded V4 is I2C address 0x03, the Embedded V2 is I2C address 0x00.

To get the Tautic to do I2C, you solder 2 pull-up resistors to the Tautic board in the blank slots for them, and tie the SI pin to 3.3V.

Otherwise, the boards are pretty much the same, just the basics to get the chip working with an MCU.

I've tried out the Tautic with the Red Controller and it works...

By works, I mean as much as any of the AS3935 boards work with the Red, i.e. communicates, detects disturbers and occasionally detects lightning with varying degrees of success :-)

Offline werk_ag

• WeatherDuino Pro2
    • MeteoCercal
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2014, 11:04:15 PM »
I also ordered mine directly from Embedded Adventures. It takes 3 weeks to arrive to Portugal.
What is strange is that I thought I was ordering from a company in UK, but the board was sent from the USA.
It is a V4 version.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2014, 06:11:42 AM »
We had a small storm pass through last night and it appears that AS3935 is much happier in its new location in the attic. Also cleared the log file and started over. Everything appears to be working well - Thanks for the help!

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2014, 07:57:36 PM »
I also ordered mine directly from Embedded Adventures. It takes 3 weeks to arrive to Portugal.
What is strange is that I thought I was ordering from a company in UK, but the board was sent from the USA.
It is a V4 version.

Ok on the 3 weeks for delivery, but would be nice if there was some sort of comms from them stating this other than the estimated delivery time is 4 weeks. But when Amazon emails me saying my card is not charged now since the seller has not indicated a ship notice yet, I hope this doesn't hold up my order from them. Amazon is now checking on this with the seller and I guess from what they said, the seller has 2 days to respond to them. I'll give it til the end of the week. States shipping from NY for me and I'm only one state over from there..  :shock:

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2014, 08:08:12 PM »
I've had two deliveries the past month on AS3935 boards ordered directly from Embedded Adventures, so they are shipping product. The boards were actually ordered from others for whom I am building systems. I believe they both arrived within two weeks of ordering. Both were shipments to my US address from the New York distributor.

Best,

Don
WD9DMP

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Hum, ok, maybe I'll let it ride for a week. Perhaps on Amazon it won't show shipped and will just show up in the 2 week window. I'm in Mass so the next state over, maybe I'll see it by the end of this week. What kind of systems are you building?  Thanks

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »
Well, here's an update. Amazon contacted them directly since they had a unhappy buyer. They finally emailed me back stating that emails were going to the wrong mailbox and then to top it off, stated they have had issues getting parts for the boards ](*,). Are you kidding me? They were selling them on Amazon and had 2 left, I bought one, leaving 1 left. Now they well me it will be a couple of weeks waiting for some parts even thou they had some (would have thought complete) they were selling. I don't know if I'll ever get one. Jet, PM me if you would like to sell one of them Tautic module extra ones you have. Also, were is everyone getting these programs to run these on their PC's, creating plots and charts of their data? I have seen others uploading these graphs and charts..  Thank you Frank    :-)

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2014, 08:51:32 PM »
Frank,

I wrote some scripts that process data sent to my Linux server from the Blitzortung Red controller on every strike detection from the AS3935. Of course, the board needs to be connected via I2C to the Blitzortung controller.

The scripts create a comma-delimited CSV file and also produce Google charts of strike rate, distance and energy of each strike.

Don

anything