Author Topic: Using a browser to access files in the true root directory of GoDaddy  (Read 882 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Thanks to some very generous comments and support of various members, I have worked through most of the problems I had experienced when Godaddy upgraded me to the latest Linux cPanel software as the web server for my stations.

I'm a bit happy that the designers of Linux web service have taken upon themselves to spoof the address (e.g. ecwx.info is really ecwx.info/public_html/) which is just a confusing layer that while it may be necessary for them to operate, isn't well discussed in any of their materials and takes a very paternalistic view of someone trying to access a site.  Now that I've got that off my chest, I'll accept what is, and move on.

I've not found a real live person connection to GoDaddy lately.  A few months ago I had my first and only problem in a very long time and got a live person to lead me through understanding things on their end.

This time I've learned more from forum members giving me information than I have from GoDaddy, and only seem to be able to connect through on line chat, with people who's primary language is not English, with many misunderstandings since texting/typing is fraught with assumptions and short cuts that can be picked up right away in spoken discussion.

Anyway, all is well except for one problem.  I have a program, Graphweather, which I like a lot.  After a steep learning curve to get it to function, I find it very configurable and has been running very stable for years.  The author is French or French Canadian, which adds again to my difficulty reading that forum's comments and making heads or tails of the fine points.  The program seems to still be used occasionally, especially in Italy, France and Spain.  Again, once it is configured, it just plugs away.  An update was issued 4 or 5 years ago, but I've never been able to successfully install it.  My version allows me to generate graphs that are stored locally, and my Weather Display software can do things with it to add to the page it makes.  One thing I did do is use GraphWeather to upload those two graphs to my web server.  The options in that portion of GraphWeather setup let me tell it what the server is, the login name and pass word and that is it.  In that setup section there is no option to specify  a subdirectory to load to, so the ftp files go right to the root directory of my web server.  Of course when I use a browser, the Linux web handler on their end does it magic and inserts '\public_html' in front of the address to my various instances of Weather Display .html files, where there is no graphic.jpg to see; it is one directory higher.

I'm a pee poor programmer and my initial though would be to write a .php file that would run as a cron job to just move a copy of the graph.jpg file into one of the subdirectories.  That would involve learning .php well enough to do it, and to get the hosting server to run the cron job on some regular basis.

Finally, to my question:  For all those who live and breath programming and web pages and such in the Linux environment such as what GoDaddy uses, is there a way to use a browser to peer into the root directory, the REAL root, of my web presence, and display the file I give the name of?

Thanks   Dale

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
Hi Dale

I think you can
I know on my site Hosting24
I can login to cpanel and go to file manager and upload the file from the desktop and then fpt to that location
Also can change to name of the file if I choose
So behind the address for the sever you specify
Like this
Example
Pensacola.com/mywebsite/gallery
That will fpt to that location in the root directory at folder location      gallery
Something like that but with your info
Hope that helps
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 04:27:47 PM by Michael M »
WU
KFLPENSA29  WU is currently Online Again
Got New Station Installed 9-2-22
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
Or I could be wrong.
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Indeed, I can do it manually as you suggested (since I think cPanel is some sort of standard package or idea) but that is a one and done.

Just like Weather Display uploads stuff every 5 minutes automatically, I'd like my GraphWeather to upload TO THE DIRECTORY OF MY CHOICE every half hour or so.

Thats the problem as you are well aware, when a company goes out of business, or a labor of love project like Graphweather or PWS Dashboard or WeeWx depends upon a dedicated group of people or a single programmer to meet the desires of so many varied users.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
Agreed
So you are limited to what you can put in the address bar in the graph software?
You should be able to add that location to the address in the setup for ftp
No?
You do have to option to ftp in time frames right?
Set the mins to ftp?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:21:12 PM by Michael M »
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
If you are limited to what the software is capable of
You can always use Filezilla FTP software to capture the file and ftp to your site
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:26:49 PM by Michael M »
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Yes, Filezilla will do that and I have done that test, manually, just to prove to myself that I understand the file structure and how the naming convention works.

the weak link seems to be the functionality of GraphWriter.  If they had only provided, as Weather Display does for example, the ability to specify a directory to which it should be loaded, and so far I've not found one.

It has been suggested that Weather Display has some additional ftp'ing capabilities, or that I might attach those two files to others that Weather Display uploads at selected intervals to the correct directories, and automatically.  More reading and testing to do.

Thanks for your helpful comments.  Oh, I've found my Boltek computer has a bad power supply so one more thing to do to swap that out before testing the software.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
So the program is not saving the image file or text file to your local pc folder?
I think I would need to see the software to wrap my head around the setup side
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:40:15 PM by Michael M »
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
Graphwriter is the issue
Add cmd .text file to tell graphwiter what to do