Author Topic: Station placement  (Read 403 times)

Offline biker57

Station placement
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:52:38 PM »
I've had a WS-2902 for 4-6 weeks, but I'm not happy with the placement and my options are limited. It's about 14' off the ground so just a bit high I think for the temp sensor, but there is a stand of trees about 70' high 20' away which kills the wind of course. I can move it to an eve mount on my house that would place it 35' up and 50' from the tree line. I think moving to the eve mount is the best thing even though I know it's to high for the proper high for the temp sensor.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
Re: Station placement
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 05:51:13 PM »
Having all the sensors in the same unit will always force a compromise when choosing station location especially in urban areas. You will have to decide what is the most important information you want to record. High up for wind, lower for rain and temperature.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 05:53:40 PM by Notsorusty »
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline biker57

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 07:28:38 PM »
I know moving it will give me a better wind reading but any idea how much it would affect the temperature.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 05:07:45 PM »
I have the same model and it has been up for a couple of years. I placed it on top of my garage, about 17 feet above ground, about 20 feet east of my two story house and about 50 feet west of a tree line and a rather large pine tree.
I know that the wind recordings are not the best with a west or southeast wind but I am satisfied with that. Rain appears to match closely with the airport that is several miles away and with other personal stations nearby. Even though the temps are recorded at 17 feet up it is close enough for me. I have not changed its location since installing it so I don't have a comparison to a different location.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Maybe someone else has some comparative data to share. Some of the members have multiple devices from different manufacturers at different locations on their property.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:11:01 PM by Notsorusty »
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 06:28:00 AM »
What you need to consider is that periodically you will need to clean the rain gauge. (you'd be amazed at what crap falls out of the atmosphere)
The solar panel can also do with a periodic wipe down
The batteries will need replacing in the sensor array at least every 2 years

With that in mind, you need to think carefully about placement as it needs to be a compromise for the all in one sensor arrays.
If you get individual sensor sets then this becomes easier as you can place things in more optimal measurement locations but you still need to think about maintenance.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

anything