Author Topic: WxForum Brushfires...  (Read 22265 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
WxForum Brushfires...
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:00:55 AM »
By and large, WxForum is a pretty well self-governed community. Every now and then, however, little brush fires crop up and we moderators and admins hear about them from members.

I was a moderator on the old VWS forum, and a VWS/Davis mod here until Saratoga Ken asked me to come on as as admin. For those of you that don't know, I was also the founder of the regional weather networks, starting with the Southwestern Weather Network. In Internet weather time, I've been around since dirt, maybe before. ;)

Every so often, one WxForum member or another manages to ruffle the feathers of some of the other members. By and large, these feather-ruffles tend to die out with no Admin intervention. Rarely, though, complaints accumulate and we have to do something.

One thing about the Internet and these forums is that they are international in membership. We all get to interact with people from other countries, cultures, and time zones that we would otherwise never have the chance to. However, sometimes, I think we forget that, and judge a post or member solely on the prism of our own experience.

After hearing complaints from several members over the last few weeks, and doing my own investigations, I suspect that the complaints I'm hearing  now are due in large part to some sort of a cultural difference. Regional accents, facial clues, body language, and differences in word use do not come across in textual Internet communications.

I know that I had my own prejudices when I read a few posts, and then, realized that they were misapprehended, because I was basing my judgments on my local TIME of of the members posting, rather than his or her local time ZONE of posting, which changed the entire flavor of the post.

So, I'm asking that every member of WxForum be a little more tolerant of others. We're all a group of fairly well like-minded weather enthusiasts. Let's just all get along.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: WxForum Brushfires...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
    You are an excellent choice with all your experience!  Good luck and congrats!   
      Mark

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:25:21 PM »
Thanks for the info SLOweather, I myself will try even harder, and Im sure others will as well 8-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:19:29 AM »
... until Saratoga Ken asked me to come on as as admin. ...

Congratulations on the promotion Chris! 

:oops:  Just now saw this, I'm slipping behind keeping up with things around here.   #-o
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
Congrats Chris ! EXCELLENT Choice buy those who made it...
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »
I vote for Mark / Ohio to be a moderator too  :lol:
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:28:09 PM »
I vote for Mark / Ohio to be a moderator too  :lol:

Thanks for the vote Brian.   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline paleoguy

• Bob, Angola, NY
    • Angola Conservatory
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 06:41:07 AM »
As a writer, I was impressed with your very well thought out message.  As an enthusiast, chock full of human imperfections, I take the message to heart.  Thank you, you are an outstanding choice for moderator!
Angola Conservatory
Davis Vantage Pro, Cumulus, XP
CWOP DW8733, WU KNYANGOL4, PWS ANGCON

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
Was there an actual vote/poll? I must have missed it. Congrats a ton SLOweather because you are an EXQUISITE choice of becoming an administrator!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: =D> =D> =D>
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 10:22:50 PM »
I've decided to post this in an old, but still highly applicable topic given recent happenings in the Weatherunderground board:

1) two members from WU joined to hear and receive feedback about Wunderground website and services issues.
2) it was pro-bono on their part.
3) they expressed in this post
Both wunderground-pws and I take time out of our work day (and sometimes our evenings/weekends) to read this forum because of its passionate users -- both the experienced ones with tons of help to offer, and our newer folks who benefit from this.

We want to continue to offer our insight on issues as our time permits.  Going forward, individual threads for each question is probably the best way for us to read and contribute.

While we do appreciate the strong opinions you have on Weather Underground issues, there is no place in either of our lives for the constant barrage of negativity.  For those of you wishing to express negative sentiment around IBM as a company, bemoan the loss of 'The Old WU', degrade us our our teams, or just speculate on why/how a choice was made -- feel free to start an individual thread for those too, but know that neither of us will be entertaining a response in this forum.  Any similar behavior displayed in other threads will be forwarded to moderators for their consideration.

The incredible patience and dedication so many of you have displayed to WU, even during rough transitions as we've worked to modernize our small unit across a large company, is humbling.  We're grateful for your passion and hope you'll continue to provide a positive feedback loop for us to communicate with you.  And we'll continue to leverage your passion here to develop our support channels going forward.

4) some members here seem to mostly post angry/often derogatory/causal theories and those postings (while maybe cathartic for the poster), leave the topic thread difficult to glean the underlying issues.  It also serves to discourage anyone seeking to provide answers to genuine questions.  That is NOT the behavior we've engendered here on WXForum.net

We admins are a light-touch bunch, and only try to step in to mitigate things plainly against the registration agreement
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

Lastly, I am personally embarrassed and disappointed in the few members who have repeatedly made posts with defamatory, abusive, or  hateful tenor which have degraded the signal-to-noise ratio on multiple threads regarding Weatherunderground.

To those who wish to express your anger/etc, please take those sentiments to Facebook or Twitter -- this forum values civil discourse and facts.

Thanks for your kind attention (do read the first post too...)
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 05:16:44 AM »
Not sure what brought that on since I have the entire WU section 'Ignored'.  I find WU to be a complete waste of internet bandwidth and disk space, so I don't even bother to view the section here.

However, I have an issue with any representative of any company making that kind of statement.  It shows they have no interest in how people feel and only want to hear YayYays and Hurrahs.  I've seen it too many times from other company reps on other forums and it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the company as a whole.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 06:03:41 AM »
for me ken this sums it up

4) some members here seem to mostly post angry/often derogatory/causal theories and those postings (while maybe cathartic for the poster), leave the topic thread difficult to glean the underlying issues.  It also serves to discourage anyone seeking to provide answers to genuine questions.  That is NOT the behavior we've engendered here on WXForum.net

ive learnt a lot from this forum about this hobby , right from the offset this forum offered me so much advice but yet in recent times it is difficult to either engage or wade through the derogatory noise . we all have bad days and have frustrations or question a view point  but the recent rhetoric is hard to reason with or the continuous rhetoric it all seems so self opinionated and as you say cathartic for the poster.

i hope this forum remains informative and valuable for many years to come because if so it will be my first port of call when i want to find about something for example been on the  edge about the new davis single tipping bucket method looked promising from the start but this forum provided a widespread real world view , i could have jumped and got one but having information found on this forum deterred me for now..if those threads had been full of noise and assumptions i would never even considered looking into it..

thanks for your honesty and efforts to maintain this forum..brian

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 11:46:17 PM »
"Any similar behavior displayed in other threads will be forwarded to moderators for their consideration."

That set the tone.  Whatever happened after it is on them.

WU may have had people here but they were mostly useless.  The resulting information vacuum created a swirling vortex of conjecture which could have been entirely avoided had they put up even a minimal "status report" on a semi-regular basis as the rest of us sat and watched WU turn into a massive trainwreck.

If you are referring to me as being one of the members you are "personally embarrassed and disappointed in" then so be it.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 12:44:45 PM »
To those who wish to express your anger/etc, please take those sentiments to Facebook or Twitter -- this forum values civil discourse and facts.

No, don't do that, as the same rules apply there. 

Doing so will quickly get you banned from those forums, as a few users from here have already.

anything