Author Topic: Atlas Touchscreen customization  (Read 1893 times)

Offline CountryLoon

Atlas Touchscreen customization
« on: June 15, 2019, 09:06:53 AM »
I have purchased the Atlas touchscreen and had it for a week.  I'm impressed with the volume of information displayed but am disappointed by lack of customization of what is displayed.  Does anyone know if Acurite will be improving display options or if the GUI can be accessed externally?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Atlas Touchscreen customization
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 09:33:30 AM »
I would like more customization too.

I like the display but hate two things about it that I wish could be changed with a setup option.
  • I want the dew point to always be displayed. I hate that it switches to Feel like temperature when it reaches 80 degrees or higher. There’s no way to see the dew point once it switches.
  • Hate the rolling rain totals: today/24 hours/48 hours/72 hours/week. I only want to see today’s rain total. Let it read 0.00 if there's been no rain. The other totals are nice but should be accessed on a secondary screen.
Maybe contact Acurite with improvements/reguests via twitter/facebook .

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »

• I want the dew point to always be displayed. I hate that it switches to Feel like temperature when it reaches 80 degrees or higher. There’s no way to see the dew point once it switches.
    • Hate the rolling rain totals: today/24 hours/48 hours/72 hours/week. I only want to see today’s rain total. Let it read 0.00 if there's been no rain. The other totals are nice but should be accessed on a secondary screen.
    Maybe contact Acurite with improvements/reguests via twitter/facebook .

worachj, It's so ironic that you chose those two irritations.  I chatted with support about BOTH those things a few weeks ago. 

I mentioned that I was most interested in the dew point when the temperature was ABOVE 80.    And also mentioned your point about the rolling rain totals usually displayed. 

His reply was pretty much  "Yup, that's the way it is, sorry"
    I asked whether he would perhaps request these customization abilities in the 'setup' screen in the future.   He said, "sure,"    so there you go. 

[/list]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
    • Forecaster
    « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 10:43:49 AM »
    Wow. I already knew about the annoying scrolling rain issue, but the dew point is a new one I hadn't heard before. Yeash!  :roll: I'm not getting an Atlas Elite if they don't fix these issues. I'm not holding my breath though. Do you think they hired some ex-WU peeps?

When I first got my Ambient WS-2902A one of the most annoying things was that all the data was not on the screen and it required button pushes. One of my favorite things about the my Ambient WS-2000 is that all the data is there without needing to push buttons. What a nice display it is too. Some text is small but it's all there. Acurite should take hints from the WS-2000 display. Yes, the WS-2000 is not perfect. Pick your poison.
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:46:06 AM by galfert »
    Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
    WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
    CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
    Windy: pws-f075acbe
    Weather Underground Issue Tracking
    Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
    « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 11:02:03 AM »
    And that's why Acurite makes all sorts of displays with different layouts.

You can't please everybody.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
    • Twin Cities, Minnesota
    « Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »
    But the Atlas only has one display that I’m aware of, the HD touchscreen Model #: 06061M.

AcuRite Atlas
    KMNSAINT173

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
    « Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 11:20:09 AM »
    But the Atlas only has one display that I’m aware of, the HD touchscreen Model #: 06061M.

For now.  It hasn't been out 8 or 9 years like the 5n1.

Offline CountryLoon

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »

Big difference between a fixed LCD display and the touchscreen.  A software engineer could spend less than week to add the code for screen customizing and send out a firmware update.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
    « Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »

Big difference between a fixed LCD display and the touchscreen.  A software engineer could spend less than week to add the code for screen customizing and send out a firmware update.

You're making some big assumptions there.  The displays aren't little tablets.

Offline mikemaps

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 12:44:24 PM »
    I agree the 2 biggest problems with the display is the rolling precip., should always have todays rain on it, & the dew point with temps above 80. You can get todays rain however by hitting the little file icon on the bottom which will give you today's and yesterday's data including precip.

Offline jmello65

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 07:34:02 PM »
    I dont like how the rain is displayed either ---- should show rain for the day -- clearing at 12 midnight --  should have display options to customize how u want to display.  ---  Don't like the incorrect rounding up and down of temps -- highs/lows --- loss of signal resulting in no data being updated -- theres been improvements to the display screen and outside sensor  --however theres still room for improvements -- still problems with the Atlas that need to be fixed -- been too long --  hopefully acurite will fix

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
    « Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »
    Clearing rain totals at midnight isn't popular with a lot of people, either.

Offline Harplayr

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »
    I love the display, but the lack of displaying "today's rainfall" is it's biggest downfall. Here in Florida with our sandy soil today's rainfall is a critical factor and what happened several days ago is much less important. 

The sensor board failed on my 10 year old Davis Vantage Pro 2, and I decided to "upgrade" to a system with a nicer display rather than sinking $50 into the old system. While ugly by today's standards that old green and black lcd Davis display gives me exactly the information I need in an easy to read format.

I also have problems with the UV reading being too low. To their credit Acurite did send me a new sensor / rainbucket assembly, but that didn't solve the problem and they didn't offer any more help on that defect. So thanks to Amazon's return policy the Acurite Atlas is going back and I'll wait until they either choose to display today's rainfall or another manufacturer puts out a system that meets my needs. I looked at the Ambient WS-2000 as a possible alternative, but the small fonts might be an issue.
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:15:44 PM by Harplayr »

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 06:24:38 PM »
    I love the display, but the lack of displaying "today's rainfall" is it's biggest downfall. Here in Florida with our sandy soil today's rainfall is a critical factor and what happened several days ago is much less important. 

The sensor board failed on my 10 year old Davis Vantage Pro 2, and I decided to "upgrade" to a system with a nicer display rather than sinking $50 into the old system. While ugly by today's standards that old green and black lcd Davis display gives me exactly the information I need in an easy to read format.

I'm in exactly the same boat.   My Vantage Pro was dying so I went with the more modern Atlas station.
    What I miss most is the "current storm" choice we had with the Davis.  It would give you the running rainfall total of the current storm event, no matter if 'midnight' occured in the middle of the rainfall or if the storm lasted 3 days.    That and the lack of a 'dew point' reading when the temperature is above 80.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
    • Forecaster
    « Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 07:04:12 PM »
    What I miss most is the "current storm" choice we had with the Davis.  It would give you the running rainfall total of the current storm event, no matter if 'midnight' occured in the middle of the rainfall or if the storm lasted 3 days.    That and the lack of a 'dew point' reading when the temperature is above 80.

Ambient/Ecowitt has this. They call it Rain Event. That is not to say it's a perfect station. They all have their faults in some way.
    https://ambientweather.net/help/rain-increment-definitions/
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:08:38 PM by galfert »
    Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
    WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
    CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
    Windy: pws-f075acbe
    Weather Underground Issue Tracking
    Tele-Pole

Offline Harplayr

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 08:30:07 PM »

Ambient/Ecowitt has this. They call it Rain Event. That is not to say it's a perfect station. They all have their faults in some way.
    https://ambientweather.net/help/rain-increment-definitions/

Yes it does and the only thing preventing me from swapping the Atlas out to the ambient 2000 is that critical information like that and humidity is displayed in the afterthought small font sections where the Davis display shows it prominently in easy to read at a glance large fonts.

While I don't have experience with the Ambient outdoor monitoring station it looks more cheaply made and I question its durability. My Davis is 10 years old and this sensor board failure is the first problem I've had.

anything