Author Topic: Atlas Display Way Off  (Read 897 times)

Offline radioman61

Atlas Display Way Off
« on: May 19, 2019, 12:13:40 AM »
Had a storm come through this evening. Rained like hell for a short time. Comparing the Atlas HD display to  my Acurite and PWS Monitor, both internet apps logged 0.49” of rain. The HD display logged 0.11”. Temperature and wind measurements were consistent between the HD display and PWS monitor. Given the 5 minute update interval on my Acurite, I give it zero credibility...the PWS monitor app is much better.  I’d have expected the HD display to be a true representation of what the Atlas reported however.  Now I can’t even trust that!  My old 5 in 1 and unlighted monochrome display was way more reliable.  I’m so done with Acurite...they have totally blown it with the Atlas.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas Display Way Off
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 12:18:57 AM »
Could you please explain what PWS Monitor is and how it interacts with Acurite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 12:23:18 AM »
Perhaps you have a sketchy signal at the display.

The way the protocol works, it will eventually catch up when it receives rain data.

Offline radioman61

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 12:24:26 AM »
PWS monitor is an iPhone app that uses the data sent to weather underground.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:29:09 AM »
So it’s just wunderground data.  I’m not sure why that’s “better”.  Wunderground only gives you one sensor’s data while MyAcuRite will give you several. 

Offline radioman61

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 12:29:36 AM »
Sketchy signal at the display would show corrupted data on wind speed first since it has the most frequent update interval.  Rainfall and temperature update at the same interval but temperature was consistent while rainfall was way off.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 12:30:51 AM »
Not necessarily.  All the data isn’t sent simultaneously.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 12:33:10 AM »
And temp data, while sent every 30 seconds, doesn’t necessarily change for every report.

Offline radioman61

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 12:34:37 AM »
The HD display is still showing 0.11” of rain nearly an hour after the storm has passed.  My Acurite and the third party app show 0.49” for the same period. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 12:39:53 AM »
Well, that would certainly be an odd behavior that no one else has reported.

Offline radioman61

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 12:59:39 AM »
If all the data was screwed up, I’d assume a sketchy signal between the Atlas and the display as you did. But the rainfall is the only data that’s off.  I don’t remember the model of my old display but it was one that used the “rainfall event” method of accumulation. That made much more sense and seemed to work well.  The rainfall reporting on the HD display defies logic.  I think there’s a software bug they need to address. It’s frustrating when my observations show they had something that worked good and ditched it for some reason.  The Atlas seems to be pretty solid after some fine tuning

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 01:09:38 AM »
If it were a software bug I would have expected some to notice over the past few years.  Does anything change if you flip through the different rain display modes?

The “rain events” used on earlier models got a lot of complaints as it was difficult for people to reconcile with the baro changes.