Author Topic: NEW - WU Webcam Changes - Requires new Key - changes required by 9/20/2019!  (Read 5703 times)

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
So much for the "vapaas".  It returns a "1F" failure code.  I'll let it percolate overnight and see if anything changes.  Wonder if it's related to the image/file size?  I may reduce resolution on that substream and see if that helps.

Edit -

The "vapaas" are back, once again.  I lowered the resolution and viola, a picture actually appears on my dashboard.  Maybe they actually did fix it.  For those interested, the stream is set to 640X480(VGA) with a max bitrate of 256kbps.

Second edit -

The "vapaas" have dissipated once again.  One image managed to up load.  Since then the wonderful "1f" error has reappeared every five minutes.  Next question is have they limited the number of images per hour/day/month/year/decade/century?  I'm also wondering about that resolution change helping at all.

Final edit -

It is accepting uploads on an irregular basis.  Certainly better than no uploads accepted, but still...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:46:21 PM by awsum140 »
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline Eguraldia

Finally online! FTA working with te new system \:D/ [tup] =D>
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:49:52 AM by Eguraldia »

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless)

Meteobridge

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
Yes. For the first time in 4 months my webcam has now appeared!

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
If you're camera is working again, how many images are actually being shown?  Just a guess from one casual look but I'm going to guess only about a third of the uploads are actually happening.  The odd thing is that it doesn't seem consistent at all, random intervals between each image based on an, admittedly, quick look.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
No idea. I am getting no errors in uploading - I upload every 5 mins. There are gaps between the images being shown, though. However, it has been like that for me ever since I had a webcam on there.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
I had the same camera running, before the "upgrade", for well over a year and every image displayed.  In fact I was uploading every minute back then.  Now I've limited it to every five minutes and it's very spotty. I upload using Blue Iris and it shows the "1f" error quite often now.  My last check showed an image with a time stamp, embedded in the video, of 06:34 and it's now 07:30.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I've discovered that if you edit an existing Webcam device and save it that a new key is generated! This way you can get a key and keep your history images!   \:D/ 
No need to create a new Webcam device.

Too bad this isn't documented anywhere.

Newly generated keys or new Webcam devices with keys do not work right away. It takes some time (less than an hour) for the FTP login to work and get properly propagated across servers. Be patient and just try your key FTP login later.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:34:47 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
For the rest of us poor Minions using URL pull method, we're still S.O.L.  ](*,) :roll:  :sad:

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
Sorry, rormeister, it was the other way around not too long ago but I'm sure that URL will get fixed as well, unless they drop URL in favor of FTP.

I switched the camera to the main steam at 1080P.  I couldn't deal with the poor resolution even VGA was supplying (spoiled, ain't I).  Anyhow, it's taking the uploads and truncating the video don to the "wonderful" little square of space that's allocated for a webcam.  Apparently resolution is no longer a factor.

Offline quailvalleywx

If you're camera is working again, how many images are actually being shown?  Just a guess from one casual look but I'm going to guess only about a third of the uploads are actually happening.  The odd thing is that it doesn't seem consistent at all, random intervals between each image based on an, admittedly, quick look.
It is only about a third since 2 of the servers have been non-functional for months for providing images to wundermap nor apps like video creation.  If you send direct to 52.36.136.128 rather than webcam.wunderground.com you should get to 100%.  It's been this way for months in IBM's WU.
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline Lighty269

What is the preferred camera to use?  I do not want to dedicate a PC.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
A preferred camera is an IP camera. You won't need a computer to run it. But not proprietary like Nest, Ring, Arlo (stay away from these). It needs to be one that adheres to open standards like ONVIF and RTSP. It can be Ethernet or WiFi but there is little advantage to WiFi because you'll need a power source anyway so why pay more for WiFi. There are some applications where WiFi may work if you have easy accessibility to power outlet. There are some solar powered with battery backup WiFi IP cameras but then the price goes up for that convenience. A decent model will have a built in web interface to configure settings and even configure direct FTP of image, but you can still capture image with software if you want. You'll also want to be sure to order sometimes a separate PoE (Power over Ethernet) injector with power adapter. This is because the camera is often powered via the Ethernet cable....but most people do not have a PoE switch on their network, so the PoE injector lets you send power through the Ethernet cable after it leaves your network switch on its way to the camera (its a pig tail Y-type splitter for injecting power). Then you only need to run the Ethernet cable to the camera and the power source is over by where you plug into the network switch/router. A good camera will be weatherproof for outdoor use and have night IR (infra-red for nigh vision) with a good IR throw of at least 60 ft.

My favorite camera is the Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I with 4mm lens. I prefer bullet type cameras over dome type.

A nice thing about a camera like this is if you decide to get more cameras you can then also get what is called an NVR (Network Video Recorder)...its another name for a DVR for IP camera use. This lets you plug in all the cameras into the back of the NVR as some models have built in PoE switch. Now you can have a local recording of the cameras and perhaps dedicate some of them to home security. If you configure it (camera or NVR) with dynamic DNS and open the right ports you can even get mobile apps to see the cameras. I suggest not opening up HTTP ports and configuring only for HTTPS.  You can also built your own NVR with various different software solutions and a regular PoE switch. With an NVR like this you won't need the PoE injectors as the built in switch should power the cameras. Typically it is best to stick with same brand camera and NVR to gain most features and ease of configuration.
Favorite NVR: Hikvision DS-7716NI-I4 / 16P (get it without hard drives and then add your own WD purple drives ...much cheaper this way - up to 4 drives)

Another great alternative is cameras and NVR from Amcrest. One thing that is confussing about Amcrest when it comes to their NVR is that the NVR that they market as being for 16 cameras only has 8 PoE ports. So you have to get the NVR for 32 cameras to get the 16 PoE ports. This is because the NVR is capable of running more cameras if you have your own PoE switch....but that just makes things confusing. If you are building a home security system 8 cameras may seem like enough. But 8 cameras leaves a blank black square on the screen if you dedicate a monitor to viewing the cameras. Just a pet peeve of mine to see that empty black square. So to fill up 9 cameras you need the 16 camera system. That is what I got a 16 camera system with 9 cameras. (yes there is a 16 camera view but that is too small to be that useful even with a large TV as monitor). I now plan to add some extra cameras that I don't have to have showing but are there if I switch screens...like one inside the garage would come in handy...it will still be there but I don't have to have it be one of the ones in my main 9 camera view on the monitor. I also plan on adding another camera to really be a dedicated weather cam as the one I'm using now isn't really pointed at the sky because it is serving mostly as a security function.

* You don't need the NVR....that is optional....but if you have multiple cameras it just makes sense to probably get an NVR. The camera alone does not record. You have to have a system record the video...a computer, an NVR, a website...etc. When you follow what I've delineated there are no service fees nor subscription fees.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:18:39 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
My two cents.

I prefer turret, or eyeball, style cameras over bullet style.  If you're using the onboard IR with a bullet camera it becomes an instant magnet for spiders and flying insects at night.  Domes have similar problems along with the dome, eventually, getting cloudy due to IR and UV from the sun.  If it's always in the shade that won't be much of a problem but the IR/bug problems are still there.

The arrangement of the lens and IR on a typical turret/eyeball camera tends to keep the bugs away from the lens.  It's not perfect but a lot better than bullets.  I typically go on spider patrol on a weekly basis for the bullets I bought before I knew any better and only rarely have to do the same for the turrets.  Last night I did have to clean up around a turret because a LARGE, about 1" body, spider was busy building a web about a foot in front of it and I do have the IR turned on in that camera.  That's the first time in almost two years I've had a spider problem around it.

My favorites are the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, IPC-HDW2231R-ZS and IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE.  The 5231 and 2231 are both turrets with ~3-12mm varifocal lenses.  The 4231 is a fixed lens, 3.6mm, bullet that is concealed in a tree where a turret won't go.  The 2231 is a lower priced version of the 5231 and does not have multiple streams or built in audio.  All are capable of excellent night vision without IR.  My "weathercam" is a 4231 and the IR is shut off due to lots of available light from street lights.  I can leave it in color mode, but the gain gets too high which makes motion tend to blur at night so I swicth it, along with all the rest, to BW at night.  They are all 2 megapixel, 1080P, cameras.

I know cameras with much higher pixel counts are available, but 2 megapixel sensors seem to be the "sweet spot" for night vision.  It's a result of how much light actually strikes each pixel of the sensor.  A physically larger area will receive more light.  For example, assuming the same diameter sensor, a 2MP camera will receive twice as much light per pixel versus a 4MP camera.  This is a very rought explanation, but it does apply fairly well.  There are a few, new, models out with higher resolution and larger sensors, but they are more expensive, x1.5 or more, and still don't perform quite as well at night.

Since I'm setup for video surveillance I'm using Blue Iris with a PoE switch and a separate subnet for all the cameras.  I've experimented with other brands with, usually poor results.  Hikivision is also an excellent choice, though, and their "Dark Fighter" series is on the same level as the Dahua "Starlight" or "StarVis" series.  Yes, Dahua and Hikivision are more expensive, but if you want good, reliable, performance, especially at night, they are an excellent value, good bang for your bucks.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 02:10:04 PM by awsum140 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
FYI - Amcrest is Dahua.

Or more accurately Amcrest is a branded reseller of Dahua. Much like Ambient is a branded reseller of Fine Offset. There are many brands out there that are actually Dahua but the user support experience may vary depending on branded reseller used.

Hikvision does not have branded resllers (that I know of). The two of these companies represent the grand majority of the IP camera/NVR market. I like them both. Hikvision is a bit more expensive.
Tele-Pole

Offline Lighty269

Thanks for all the info, I just need something simple to setup with POE.  Checking out the 2CD2042WD

Thanks again!

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
This is the one I have and have been very happy with it. It's wifi, 5MP, 4x optical zoom, ir night vision, and motion detection.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:32:44 PM by Mirwin275 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
For what its worth both Dahua and Hikvision are banned products from US government agencies as of last year. Law actually takes effect soon I believe where government offices are by law supposed to remove these cameras.

https://ipvm.com/reports/ban-law

What is most interesting is that I've read reports where many government agencies are having a hard time determining what equipment they are using. Because Dahua resellers are often even American brands it can be right out confusing as these reseller brands may resell from different OEM. These are companies like Panasonic, Flir, Qsee, ADT, Honeywell, Lorex, Amcrest....etc....many many more. There are over 50 companies that resell Dahua and many times the association is something that the companies hide. Many try and pass off the finished product as their own with no mention of Dahua...they don't have to tell you that. But to an experienced person who has dealt with many of these brands the similarity is apparent and often obvious in the software and web interface as the features and menus are often minimally changed. They change more than just logos, as sometimes menus have a different order or features are different or worded differently....but if you know what you are looking at you can recognize it.

It is also interesting to note that Hikvision and Dahua are two totally different Chinese companies....but their products are so so so similar. You could read the manual to one brand and be able to use all the advanced features of the other brand. Its all there pretty much and works exactly the same. Its like the Chinese copy from each other and they end up with almost cloned copies of their products. That doesn't happen in the US without permission. If you take a video editing program and you learn how to use it and then you go use a different video editing software you may be able to figure your way around but there are going to be a lot of differences. That is not the same thing as what I'm talking about with Dahua and Hikvision...they flat out copy each other down to how controls and features work.

But none of that really concerns me in my private use of these cameras and NVRs. If the Chinese want to spy on my house so be it. I'm already making one of my cameras available publicly anyway. It is true that who knows what other embedded malware could possibly be installed that is spying on the rest of my network I guess. But what are the alternatives? Reolink you say?...yep Chinese too. I do have advanced IT skills to monitor the network with advanced intrusion detection gateways...and so far I've seen nothing nefarious or strange traffic coming to or from from my camera system. YMMV.

Perhaps the good that this law will do is enable other camera brands to flourish and come about. So far I've not seen the industry turn to anything newer nor better....maybe this will take time.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 04:22:50 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
For what its worth both Dahua and Hikvision are banned products from US government agencies as of last year. Law actually takes effect soon I believe where government offices are by law supposed to remove these cameras.

https://ipvm.com/reports/ban-law

What is most interesting is that I've read reports where many government agencies are having a hard time determining what equipment they are using. Because Dahua resellers are often even American brands it can be right out confusing as these reseller brands may resell from different OEM. These are companies like Panasonic, Flir, Qsee, ADT, Honeywell, Lorex, Amcrest....etc....many many more. There are over 50 companies that resell Dahua and many times the association is something that the companies hide. Many try and pass off the finished product as their own with no mention of Dahua...they don't have to tell you that. But to an experienced person who has dealt with many of these brands the similarity is apparent and often obvious in the software and web interface as the features and menus are often minimally changed. They change more than just logos, as sometimes menus have a different order or features are different or worded differently....but if you know what you are looking at you can recognize it.

It is also interesting to note that Hikvision and Dahua are two totally different Chinese companies....but their products are so so so similar. You could read the manual to one brand and be able to use all the advanced features of the other brand. Its all there pretty much and works exactly the same. Its like the Chinese copy from each other and they end up with almost cloned copies of their products. That doesn't happen in the US without permission.

But none of that really concerns me in my private use of these cameras and NVRs. If the Chinese want to spy on my house so be it. I'm already making one of my cameras available publicly anyway. It is true that who knows what other embedded malware could possibly be installed that is spying on the rest of my network I guess. But what are the alternatives? Reolink you say?...yep Chinese too. I do have advanced IT skills to monitor the network with advanced intrusion detection gateways...and so far I've seen nothing nefarious or strange traffic coming to or from from my camera system. YMMV.

Perhaps the good that this law will do is enable other camera brands to flourish and come about. So far I've not seen the industry turn to anything newer nor better....maybe this will take time.

Yup, Reolink is made in China and headquartered in Germany, but I could care less to be honest. It does what I want and I like everything it is capable of. It's all preference.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
That's why all of my cameras are on a separate LAN that is not routed to the internet.  Additionally, the MAC addresses of all the cameras are blocked at the router.

I tried a Reolink, years ago, and found it has no, true, control of the video stream.  Most irritating is the lack of being able to set an iframe, the reference frame, interval.  That makes it of questionable value for surveillance use.  WiFi is just not secure and can be easily blocked by miscreants.  If it works for you, in this application, great though.  I can tell you that digging 200 feet of trench and installing conduit wasn't a lot of fun but I've never suffered a dropout from the remote cameras.  I tried a WiFi, for my first camera, and it was offline more than online.

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
hardwire always better
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
From what I see on my dashboard the uploads stalled sometime last night. Exactly when I can't say since playback of yesterday stops at around 7:40PM while the photo showing is in black and white, which indicates after local sundown.  I think Brutus needs to kick start the server, again.

Anyone else seeing this?

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
From what I see on my dashboard the uploads stalled sometime last night. Exactly when I can't say since playback of yesterday stops at around 7:40PM while the photo showing is in black and white, which indicates after local sundown.  I think Brutus needs to kick start the server, again.

Anyone else seeing this?

I noticed the same thing, but just a little bit ago it is current again for me.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
I just checked, and tried Edge just to be sure, and it's still showing last night for me.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I have some news!!!

I finally have URL Webcam showing up. I actually have both FTP and URL so that I can test both types. I had pretty much given up on URL as most people are saying that URL just does not work at all. My FTP Webcam upload has never really stopped working ever other than the fact that 1 of 3 FTP servers only work and even then it wasn't totally reliable...but I consistently still got many frames uploaded every day using FTP.

Well it seems URL may be coming back into a working thing. As of today for the first time in a long time I have URL Webcam working. Here is what I did to fix it. You have to edit the Webcam device and just make a small change like maybe you change the name by one character and then click "I accept" and then Save. I also have the frequency set to 300 seconds (5 minutes). But we all know that 5 minutes isn't going to happen. Right now it is too soon to tell how many frames per day this will capture using URL. It probably wont be much compared to FTP method, but that has always been the norm for URL.

If your FTP or URL Webcam doesn't work then do the following:
- Edit Device
- Make a small change like in the name (you gotta have something changed to enable Save to do its thing)
- Set frequency to 300 or more seconds (which is 5 minutes)
- Click "I Accept"
- Click Save
- Then wait a couple hours and see what happens, hopefully you'll see status .Online

Maybe this works maybe it doesn't. Worth a shot though. Let us know your results.

UPDATE: It only worked for a moment. I got 1 frame in 24 hours and now nothing for URL method. Strangely the URL method status shows as Online. FTP method still works though with a good number of failed uploads but sufficient to get a decent amount of frames per day.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 10:15:55 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
My webcam has stopped working again. The FTP is successful, just no images showing.