Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

Thinking about getting a Davis...

(1/13) > >>

G2003:
Hello,

I currently have a LaCrosse WS2308 weather station. I was thinking about getting something more professional. Ive narrowed it down to a Davis Vantage Pro 2.

My question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a Cabled version versus a Wireless version?

Thanks,
gil

ncpilot:
I don't know that there's any advantage to the cabled version except lower cost...

I've got the wireless, but with the standard wired anemometer. I'm now strongly considering buying the xmitter for the anemometer so I can place the ISS unit more freely (rain accuracy issues). Sure, I could extend the wire, but it's so limiting...

With the wired, you have to consider where/how it will enter the house, which will fix the position of the console, and therefore fix the position of your computer (assuming you'll download your data and post it...).

I guess you could get around that by putting the console in retransmit mode, and buying a Weather Envoy to receive the data, and hook that up to a computer in another part of the house... But then, you may as well go wireless from the start...

Just one opinion...

ocala:
Lightning!
I lost my wired WMII when lightning hit a tree. It took out the anny and the console.
Plus if you ever have to have it serviced or something breaks a wireless unit is much easier to deal with.
They have repeaters available so you can put the sensors where ever you want.
Wireless is the way to go.

G2003:
Thanks for your replies.

Is there a difference in update times? I know with my LaCrosse station, it updates more frequently if its wired, than when its wireless.

I think I may go with the wired, strictly because of the cost. I don't have a
problem dealing with wires.

NoQuitters:
I've got a new in the box Weather Monitor II complete station with a radiation shield I'd make you a good deal on.

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=07440CS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version