Author Topic: Changing from my current Acurite display to two options...  (Read 1037 times)

Offline MarkHarris71

Hello,
I currently have this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBFNG3P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
With 2 extra sensors and a lighting sensor.
Because of the forecast not working correctly, Acurite offered to replace the Display with the same to try again or with this one:

https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-sensors-and-parts/hd-wi-fi-display-for-5-in-1-weather-station-with-future-forecast-powered-by-dark-sky-and-weather-underground-streaming-display-only.html?fbclid=IwAR1XNbIz1X5Ps4uRhpz0CoLlTva1f-AAsEmjsnzabzXGfDXpRufRXZFxOTk

What do you guys think? I like having the Outdoor temp without having to switch pages for example.

I was also thinking maybe trying to trade up for this:
https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-stations/acurite-atlas-weather-station-with-direct-to-wifi-display-and-lightning-detection.html

Thanks

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Changing from my current Acurite display to two options...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 03:42:01 PM »
Forecast from Dark Sky?!?!?!?  Didn't Apple put a (rapidly-approaching) end-of-life on Dark Sky's API on all non-Apple platforms when they acquired them last year?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 04:03:23 PM »
oh that sounds bad. I just asked Acurite support about that.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 04:24:07 PM »
https://blog.darksky.net

API

Our API service for existing customers is not changing today, but we will no longer accept new signups. The API will continue to function through the end of 2021.

As part of this transition, use of Dark Sky by Apple is subject to the Apple Privacy Policy, which can be found at apple.com/privacy.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 08:48:14 PM »
Somehow, I would like to think AcuRite has some type of agreement with Dark Sky so that all of their displays and MyAcuRite will continue to get forecasts past 2021. They should stop selling any new displays if they don’t!

By the way I just purchase a display with Dark Sky forecasts that was on sale this week!
https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-stations/color-weather-station-with-forecast-powered-by-dark-sky.html?ref=hp-banner

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 11:47:08 AM »
Ok so this came from Acurite
"The Dark Sky API will be ending at the end of 2021, which is used for the My AcuRite forecast and some additional AcuRite products. We are working diligently on investigating our options, and are focused on ensuring that service for all our products continues regardless of a transition."

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »
Thanks for contacting them!

Its bothersome they’re still stating Dark Sky forecast in their product descriptions knowing farewell its ending at the end of 2021.

That new display I just purchase better not stop giving web-based forecasts. That’s the exact reason it was purchased for. I guess that’s why it was on sale last week.

Not having a very warm and fuzzy feeling about this.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline MarkHarris71

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 09:20:56 PM »
Thanks for contacting them!

Its bothersome they’re still stating Dark Sky forecast in their product descriptions knowing farewell its ending at the end of 2021.

That new display I just purchase better not stop giving web-based forecasts. That’s the exact reason it was purchased for. I guess that’s why it was on sale last week.

Yeah it sure does not look good at all that they still have that listed when they know is not going to last much longer and not having a solution yet figured  out at this point.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 07:44:52 AM »

Has anyone seen evidence that AcuRite has the ability to remotely update the firmware in their Internet-connected consoles?

Does anyone know if these consoles connect directly to DarkSky for data, or do they connect to a server at the Chaney mothership and grab forecast data from there?

Given AcuRite's past history with making paperweights out of everyone's network bridges, I would not have warm and fuzzy feelings about anything they do at this point.....

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 08:36:49 AM »

Has anyone seen evidence that AcuRite has the ability to remotely update the firmware in their Internet-connected consoles?

Does anyone know if these consoles connect directly to DarkSky for data, or do they connect to a server at the Chaney mothership and grab forecast data from there?

Those are both great questions. Wish someone like nincehelser was still around who seemed to know everything to give us an answer.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

anything