Author Topic: Welcome To Bloomsky  (Read 4348 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Welcome To Bloomsky
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:03:02 PM »
Bloomsky owners and others interested, now have a place to call home here on the WXForum.

Bloomsky website:

https://www.bloomsky.com/

The Bloomsky app info can be found here:

https://www.bloomsky.com/#app

Their latest addition is the Bloomsky web map.  Try it out here:

https://map.bloomsky.com/

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
Re: Welcome To Bloomsky
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:14:43 PM »
I saw the ad for this and its look very interesting.

Here is a post regarding the Bloomsky I found here.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=22996.0

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=28263.0

I'm curious how many are already using it and what they think?

Thanks
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:29:25 PM »
I've moved those posts to this board :)
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »

I'm curious how many are already using it and what they think?

Thanks

I installed my Bloomsky on Dec 25.  It continues to deliver a high quality webcam view. 

Here are random notes from my install process:

1.  I bought the entire package (sensor assembly, mount, & solar panel).  The mount is suggested if you want to place it on a fence post or something similar.  The only problem I had was that the four holes that you use to screw the mount into your post are not positioned properly.  The mount serves 2 purposes as it holds the sensor assembly as well as the solar panel.  The angle that holds the solar panel gets in the way of the top right screw.  Had to come in a slight angle but did get it secured.

2.  The on/off button on the sensor can be finicky.  Mine never would stay on.  The work around was to press the WI-FI button which tried to kick on then 'forced' the on/off button to engage.  Once it’s on, the actual setup is done through the IPhone app. 

3.  Barometric pressure, like what has been mentioned in another post, is not accurate.  The sensor is working but the sea level compensation is not there.  Bloomsky folks apparently are aware of this and it may be addressed in future releases of the app.

4.  Initially the only way to view your station was through the IPhone app.  Now they have developed a web map address where you can search for Bloomskys where ever they are installed.

Like some have pointed out, the system does not record or register wind nor rain fall accumulation.  The sensor does know when it rains, but there is no measurement.  When you and your friends and neighbors follow your station, they will receive notice of rain falling and that the end of the day video is ready to view.  The daytime video runs about 18 seconds.  I imagine this is based on how well your WI-FI held up and the number of pics that made it to the Bloomsky cloud.  Remember, you’re dealing with WI-FI so you must factor in your surroundings. The pictures are very good and depending how you mount and angle the lenses, your sky viewing will vary.  Overall I like it.  Like the old adage, a picture is worth a thousand words; in this case a picture is worth a laymans translation of your environment to the casual observer. 

Give it your consideration.  I believe you’ll enjoy it.

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »
Thanks for the info, very informative.

I'm kicking myself for not getting the discounted bundle that was available during the holidays...

Now that it has the API and could be used on a website I'm more interested.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 07:46:05 AM »

I'm kicking myself for not getting the discounted bundle that was available during the holidays...

Check their website.  Even though they are not offering the 45% discount during the holidays, prices appear lower than originally set.

Offline lijun

• BloomSky
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 03:48:51 PM »
Thank you VaJim for your informative reviews and referral! I will make sure your review comments are passed on to our R&D department.

Sorry everyone for the delay in responding to this board, we were not aware of the discussions here until we saw an order placed and credited to this forum as the referral.

For those of you who missed our earlier end of year promotion, please send me an email lijun@bloomsky.com, we will see how many from this forum will be interested in getting a BloomSky bundle, so that we can decide on a proper discount for this community. Thank you all for your interest in BloomSky products and services.

Aside from free APP, https://maps.bloomsky.com/ is there for those prefer web browsing, and https://dashboard.bloomsky.com/ is there for device owners to access their device's historical data, images and time-lapses.

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »

Check their website.  Even though they are not offering the 45% discount during the holidays, prices appear lower than originally set.

I just purchased the Bloomsky using the Wunderground $50 discount promo.
Thanks for all the info to help me decide.

Tom
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »

I just purchased the Bloomsky using the Wunderground $50 discount promo.
Thanks for all the info to help me decide.

Tom

Tom:  Nice

Let me know if you have any questions or need help.  I may not have all the answers but will help if I can.  I'd be interested in hearing on how your install went.

Jim

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:45:36 AM »
Is it possible to somehow use only the timelapse video in an already established website ?

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 10:52:48 AM »
Is it possible to somehow use only the timelapse video in an already established website ?

The Bloom Sky server makes one .mp4 video at the close of each day, sometime at or after sun down.  It may or may not be possible to post that link at another website.  At the end of each day, the movie then shows as an option on the Bloom Sky mobile app and on the web page for your station.  Example of a Bloom Sky web page:
https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4rp6r
You get a notification on the mobile just after sun down that your video for that day is ready.  Note that until the new video of 5 minute interval pics for that day is published late in the day, the latest video is from the day before.

On Weather underground, the sky cam shows on the front page of the WU station (a great feature), and clicking on the image gives a larger image.  The link between Bloom Sky and WU is ftp.  I do not know if the user is told or allowed to directly access their own station ftp address.  There is some sense of a movie at WU, however, even though my WU pics update every 5 minutes, the movies seem to have only a few of the pics, not sure what is going on there.  The Bloom Sky temperature and other numeric data plots fine on the regular WU station graphs every 5 min.  Example of a WU Bloom Sky station web page:
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYWHITE25

I was also looking for a near real-time .jpg URL for my station.  I thought I found it, but then it looked look a single shot static picture, perhaps each successive jpg gets a unique file name, not sure.

These might be good questions for Bloom Sky tech support, who usually answer within a working day or two. 

Also, there is a Bloom Sky API (see the Bloom Sky Blog page), and some additional access to station data, jpg, and mp4s might be available through the API, either now with some programming skills, or later.  Possibly, a good user access path to our own data and pics could be by allowing user access through the same or similar ftp access between WU and Bloom Sky.  (not sure what is already possible through the API or how that exchange works)

(just a Bloom Sky station owner/user, no affiliation)  Also, see the end of one of VaJim's threads where Bloom Sky joined the forum.  Thanks to VaJim for setting up this dedicated Bloom Sky discussion area.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:30:28 AM by waysta »

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 04:33:58 PM »

Let me know if you have any questions or need help.  I may not have all the answers but will help if I can.  I'd be interested in hearing on how your install went.

Jim

Thanks Jim.  Ill give you a shout if I run into issues and will definitely report how it the install goes.

I received a tracking number and the ETA is next week.

Regards, Tom
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 07:45:38 PM »
Notes from our install department.....

1.  The on/off switch can be tricky.  If you're not in a hurry, it may be a good idea to go ahead and charge the unit using AC power supply.  Always nice to be at a full charge when trying to perform the setup.  We just don't know how long these units have been sitting around.  Both of mine took about an hour and a half to charge up.

2.  Think about where you want to place your Bloomsky.  The reason I mention this is because the whole concept relies on WIFI.  We've all been through the WIFI mill and know the problems you can encounter.  I couldn't get mine to connect through my range extender (may re-try later).  One of my Bloomskys is suffering from data/video drop outs which will ultimately affect your end-of-day video.  To troubleshoot I may bring the one that is suffering right next to the good one.  Right now they are both about the same distance in the backyard to the router.

Jim

Thanks Jim.  Ill give you a shout if I run into issues and will definitely report how it the install goes.

I received a tracking number and the ETA is next week.

Regards, Tom

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »
Yes, sounds like a good practice to charge it up first.

My first choice as a test is on a balcony rail near the WiFi.   Next I'd like to see it in the backyard closer to the ground.
I do have several WiFi's routers running, I try to separate the mobiles from the Weather station.
However I have a old access point that I may revitalize just for the BloomSky.

Thanks, Tom

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »
OK, what is this thing?  I go to the website and I see a bunch of slick advertising, but no nitty gritty on what it is or what it does, how to read it or anything else.

Is there an inside console to display data?  PC logging?

I see some stuff about broadcasting data and images ....   what if you don't want to?  Can it be read locally?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 06:57:39 PM »
Scanned some of the other threads.

Doesn't even sound up to the level of a basic LaCrosse.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 07:04:12 PM »
Scanned some of the other threads.

Doesn't even sound up to the level of a basic LaCrosse.

LaCrosse has a webcam tailored to weather?

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »
OK, what is this thing?  I go to the website and I see a bunch of slick advertising, but no nitty gritty on what it is or what it does, how to read it or anything else.

Is there an inside console to display data?  PC logging?

I see some stuff about broadcasting data and images ....   what if you don't want to?  Can it be read locally?

Maybe this will help...

https://storage.googleapis.com/bloomsky-web-assets/download/BloomSky_Product_Manual_Outdoor_Station_Model_SKY1.pdf

Is there an inside console :No....it uses your cellphone or you can look at the entire Bloomsky network here:

https://map.bloomsky.com/

PC logging?.....there is a dashboard...here:

https://dashboard.bloomsky.com/
you do have to login.....not sure about whether you can play with your own data.

I see some stuff about broadcasting data and images ....   what if you don't want to?  You can turn OFF the public broadcast on your cell phone.

Hope this helps.....so what are you waiting for ....?  go get one and have some fun!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 07:58:04 PM »

Hope this helps.....so what are you waiting for ....?  go get one and have some fun!

My cell is a simple flip phone pay-as-you-go.  I have no interest in logging in to any website to see my own local (very limited) station.  No rain?  No wind?

I was looking at the free testing promo thread, but this doesn't seem to be worth free.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »

My cell is a simple flip phone pay-as-you-go.  I have no interest in logging in to any website to see my own local (very limited) station.  No rain?  No wind?

I was looking at the free testing promo thread, but this doesn't seem to be worth free.

The folks are Bloomsky indicate the rain and wind sensors are in for future plans.  Free is free. 

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »
OBTW....I just tried the Bloomsky Device Owner Portal (Dashboard) and it has your name all over it.  You can view all of your videos from that month as well as download your own data. There is also graphs.  Very nice!

How cool is that?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 08:50:29 PM »
Not cool at all.  Major privacy thing.

Definite 'Pass' now for sure.

My stuff don't need to be on the web at all.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 09:15:49 PM »
ok.... :grin:

anything