Author Topic: How to compare my rain readings with other data sources and models?  (Read 280 times)

Offline wxfan

• Contributor
Howdy folks,

I know many of you have a regular rain gauge that you use to see if your Ecowitt rain gauge is working correctly. But what if I don't have a manual rain gauge?

I know I can look at the other Ecowitt stations nearby, which is definitely interesting. But I am also interested in comparing my measurements with weather models and local professional stations. Where are these weather data accessible? Any particular website?

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
Re: How to compare my rain readings with other data sources and models?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 07:05:16 PM »
Howdy folks,

I know many of you have a regular rain gauge that you use to see if your Ecowitt rain gauge is working correctly. But what if I don't have a manual rain gauge?

I know I can look at the other Ecowitt stations nearby, which is definitely interesting. But I am also interested in comparing my measurements with weather models and local professional stations. Where are these weather data accessible? Any particular website?

Rain amounts can differ a block away. Recommend you get a Stratus rain gauge and install it close to your stations rain gauge.
After a few rains you can start to dial in your stations rain gauge by adjusting the gain. This will take a while to dial it in. But it is possible to get very close.

Other than that, use stations close by using Weather Underground. However, that's like a dog chasing its tail. :-"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 07:19:27 PM by Platokidd »
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline hofpwx

• HyView Boulder weather
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 09:38:36 AM »
You can try checking with CoCoRAHS, but precipitation variability can be huge.

Online Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 11:51:07 AM »

There is no way to reliably check your rain gauge other than using a reputable manual rain gauge.

Comparing to other nearby sites, might get you something but:
1) How do you know they are putting out reliable numbers? Let's be frank here, most people that get a weather station and slap it online, probably don't calibrate it.
2) Those sites that do report reliable information are not at your site, things like airports, and other government/TV station etc.  weather sites.
3) The variability between your site and another site , cannot be used to calibrate your rain equipment. I mean sometimes that site might report more, sometimes less, you can't build a factor to use in calibration that can be used for every rain event.

In the end, the only way to make sure yours is accurate, is to use a manual gauge in comparison, which has to be extremely near your equipment, I mean within a couple feet. Then you can use factor to calibrate your equipment. But even then, you will want to check on occasion , because your equipment will get dirty, and change values etc, which you will clean, but you should recheck at those times.

Edit: AS far as weather models, the only thing , once you get everything calibrated and accurate, that you can report, is that you received this much rain at this specific location.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 12:01:51 PM by Rover1822 »
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57