Author Topic: Acurite Acess readings vs Acurite Atlas Display Readings.  (Read 2835 times)

Offline JonEricG

Acurite Acess readings vs Acurite Atlas Display Readings.
« on: December 29, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
 Hey guys,

I’ve noticed that my Acurite Acess readings are different to my Acurite Atlas display readings, why is this? The barometer pressure is different and also my wind readings are different. Any specific reason why? Which one is more accurate?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite Acess readings vs Acurite Atlas Display Readings.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 04:44:50 PM »
Hey guys,

I’ve noticed that my Acurite Acess readings are different to my Acurite Atlas display readings, why is this? The barometer pressure is different and also my wind readings are different. Any specific reason why? Which one is more accurate?

There are two barometers involved.  The Access, if set to "adjusted" (aka "altimeter") is likely the closest numerical reading.  If you want them to match more or less, you can manually adjust the display reading to match the myAcurite altimeter reading.

The wind readings are likely different as myAcurite only updates every 5 minutes, but the display is updating every 10 seconds.

Offline Jhaney

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:52:22 PM »
Newbie here and I noticed my rainfall readings are 7 tenths different between my access and 5 n 1 display. What’s going on here. Thanks

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:01:26 PM »
Newbie here and I noticed my rainfall readings are 7 tenths different between my access and 5 n 1 display. What’s going on here. Thanks

Assuming both are calibrated, there are many things that can affect the outcome.  Differing heights above ground, wind effects, proximity to buildings and trees, and a level installation come to mind.

7 tenths does seem like a lot of variance, though.

Offline Jhaney

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:17:54 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. I have noticed that signal strength has varied some today between my access and 5 n 1. This is probably the cause?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:31:32 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. I have noticed that signal strength has varied some today between my access and 5 n 1. This is probably the cause?

No.  The rain-reporting protocol is very robust and isn't impacted by short-term radio signal failures.

The sensor keeps a rain counter and transmits that every 36 seconds.  The receiving device compares the last good reading received with the newest reading to compute the rainfall for that period.

Using that method, the radio link can go down for quite a while, yet the accumulated rainfall will still be accurate when the radio link is restored.  Rain-rate info, however, won't be accurate if the radio link is going up and down.

In your case, I guess it might be possible to see 7 tenths difference if you observe it during a time when one of the devices isn't receiving data, but once the link is restored it should square up, at least to the point where other differences come into play.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:40:36 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Jhaney

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 10:39:49 PM »

No.  The rain-reporting protocol is very robust and isn't impacted by short-term radio signal failures.

The sensor keeps a rain counter and transmits that every 36 seconds.  The receiving device compares the last good reading received with the newest reading to compute the rainfall for that period.

Using that method, the radio link can go down for quite a while, yet the accumulated rainfall will still be accurate when the radio link is restored.  Rain-rate info, however, won't be accurate if the radio link is going up and down.
Ok. I notice from the App I have poor signal strength. This has been periodic today. On my display that came with my 5 n 1 I have full bars. Just now I get an alert my sensor has lost communication with my access. Is this common with access?

Offline Jhaney

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 02:09:42 PM »
Access needed firmware update. Working now

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 02:22:44 PM »

That sounds odd.  Did you just pull this Access out of the box?

We've been at firmware 47 for quite a while now.  (hoping for an update soon)

Be aware that the "signal strength" bars work differently on the Access and display.  The Access shows a real signal strength.  As long as you have at least one bar on the Access, your data is getting through.

On the display, you will have full bars as long as all your data is being received on schedule.  If expected packets are missed, bars are removed.

So it's possible to have a signal strength of 1 bar on the Access, but full bars on the display at the same time.

Yeah, it's confusing.  The reason is the displays have always used a radio receiver that has no signal strength output, so the level is "simulated".  The Access radio receiver chip does have a signal strength output, so they go ahead an use it.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 03:15:52 PM »
What kind of "update" is coming? Mine is working properly, so I don't need an update..., unless it would help send Wunderground sunlight / UV data.

It looks like someone could volunteer to help Acurite do CWOP uploads. PWS weather, and weathercloud.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:17:34 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 03:18:44 PM »

The directions say to let the Access download the firmware for 30 minutes before doing any setup... Did you read the pamphlet?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 03:25:05 PM »
What kind of "update" is coming? Mine is working properly, so I don't need an update...

Some updates for wunderground so it plots UV and light values.  It already sends the data, but there are some typos that need fixed.  Also, wunderground wants Acurite to send the data to a different hostname (rtupdate instead of www).   For some reason rain-rate graphs don't work right if the data is sent to "www".  Wundergound put in a patch for the time being.

Other than that, 47 seems pretty stable.

It would also be nice to see some new weather services added, but we'll just have to wait and see.  Maybe some new sensors that were teased at CES18?

CES19 starts next week.  Maybe we'll get some new info.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 03:37:16 PM »
Acurite is sold out of Atlas, and wind extension. I was going to buy a couple of wind cables with the sale, but was too late. All it does is rain here, so there is really no hurry to get them right now for me...

Offline Denpat

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 06:12:39 PM »
They are back in stock as of this afternoon.

Dennis

Offline Jhaney

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 11:11:18 PM »

The directions say to let the Access download the firmware for 30 minutes before doing any setup... Did you read the pamphlet?

Yes.  Data was being retrieved.  I was going off the indicator lights in my dashboard in MyAcuRite.  It was green for most of yesterday and then went to red.  After 2 hours I got an email it was not receiving data from my 5 n 1. Chatted with support, he had me do a factory reset, unplug access and take out batteries for 10 minutes. Hooked everything back up and was gtg.  He said it needed a firmware update.

Offline JonEricG

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 11:23:42 AM »
So the MyAcuRite app data is more accurate than the atlas HD display?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 12:44:04 PM »
So the MyAcuRite app data is more accurate than the atlas HD display?

Other than the baro reading, it's the same data.  The HD display is more timely as it updates every 10 seconds.

Offline JonEricG

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
Sorry if this is a stupid question but why is the barometric reading from myacurite app and my atlas display different? Aren’t they receiving both the same signal from the atlas weather station? :?: :???:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 10:27:36 PM »
Sorry if this is a stupid question but why is the barometric reading from myacurite app and my atlas display different? Aren’t they receiving both the same signal from the atlas weather station? :?: :???:

Each display and the Access has its own baro sensor, and each have their own settings.

The Atlas sensor itself has no baro sensor.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 08:23:18 AM »

You should calibrate each sensor to match the local airport altimeter. I found the Access read a little high, and the display read too low, not horribly off, but enough to adjust it for correctness.

Offline HH2

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »
How do you find what Access firmware number you have?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »
How do you find what Access firmware number you have?
The firmware version is on the Access Splash page. You need to know the IP address of your Access on your home network. Then using a browser, you just use that IP address which will bring up the Access’s splash page. My current firmware version is 047.

Example:

http://192.168.1.243/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:59:26 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline HH2

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 09:41:08 AM »
Thanks worachj.

Now I have another question.  On the Access Splash page, how can you tell which sensor is which?  In the bottom of the screen (the sensor section), it lists eight sensors (seven towers and 5n1), but I only have six temp sensors and my 5 and 1.

As I was checking sensor signal strength on the Splash Page, all of my sensors disconnected from MyAcurite app, but the signal strength for all my sensors on the Splash Page show level 4. 

NOTE:  Actually I lose MyAcurite/sensor connections every day on a regular basis.  I have moved my Access unit to at least 20 different locations (away from all electronics) and no change.  Also, I have not lost connection with Wunderground for quite some time.  I sure hope a firmware update or an improved Access happens soon.

One more concern, if there is some sort of 433MHZ interference causing problems with Access connectivity, why didn't I ever lose connection with SmartHub (maybe it wasn't 433MHZ)??

By the way, I love this forum.  It is one of the most informative forums I have ever been associated with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more comment, I do not have Atlas, I'm still with the 5n1, so I'm sorry if I have posted all this in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:46:42 AM by HH2 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »
Thanks worachj.

Now I have another question.  On the Access Splash page, how can you tell which sensor is which?  In the bottom of the screen (the sensor section), it lists eight sensors (seven towers and 5n1), but I only have six temp sensors and my 5 and 1.

As I was checking sensor signal strength on the Splash Page, all of my sensors disconnected from MyAcurite app, but the signal strength for all my sensors on the Splash Page show level 4. 

NOTE:  Actually I lose MyAcurite/sensor connections every day on a regular basis.  I have moved my Access unit to at least 20 different locations (away from all electronics) and no change.  Also, I have not lost connection with Wunderground for quite some time.  I sure hope a firmware update or an improved Access happens soon.

One more concern, if there is some sort of 433MHZ interference causing problems with Access connectivity, why didn't I ever lose connection with SmartHub (maybe it wasn't 433MHZ)??

By the way, I love this forum.  It is one of the most informative forums I have ever been associated with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more comment, I do not have Atlas, I'm still with the 5n1, so I'm sorry if I have posted all this in the wrong place.

The splash page is a diagnostic tool.  It isn't meant to particularly identify sensors.  However, it sounds like you are picking up a sensor from a neighbor.

It sounds like your Access is "hearing" the sensors just fine.  There is no evidence of radio interference issue.  The problem is on the myAcurite server side.