Author Topic: RTL_433 on Pi 4 problems?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
RTL_433 on Pi 4 problems?
« on: August 15, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »
Has anyone tried to use RTL_433 on a Pi 4 recently?

It works, but is awfully balky.  For example sometimes the program picks it up, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it just takes a long time to detect the dongle.

Once it's running, everything seems OK.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
Re: RTL_433 on Pi 4 problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »
I did some quick testing, using RTL_433 to receive/decode signals from a couple of Ambient TH sensors, and it seemed to perform no differently from my Pi 3s. I certainly saw no 'balkiness'.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 07:04:51 PM »
Some others have reported the same problem.

What version of libusb did you use?

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »
Some others have reported the same problem.

What version of libusb did you use?
libusb-1.0-0-dev - or, at least, that's what I 'apt installed' before I built it.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »
Are you using the default repository?

I couldn't install libusb-1.0-0.dev directly and had to install libUSB 1.0, which is supposed to contain libusb-1.0-0.dev.  The way it's behaving, I'm wondering if that's where the problem is coming from.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:28:36 PM »

I couldn't install libusb-1.0-0.dev directly and had to install libUSB 1.0, which is supposed to contain libusb-1.0-0.dev.  The way it's behaving, I'm wondering if that's where the problem is coming from.
I have not touched my repository list. The Raspbian installation was a clean install downloaded from the official site, so it is pulling only from the two main locations on raspberrypi.org. I do have a vague memory of seeing warnings about problems if you don't use the -dev variant of libusb for compiling rtl_433.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 03:28:27 AM »

I have not touched my repository list. The Raspbian installation was a clean install downloaded from the official site, so it is pulling only from the two main locations on raspberrypi.org. I do have a vague memory of seeing warnings about problems if you don't use the -dev variant of libusb for compiling rtl_433.

There's some inconsistency, then.  libusb-1.0.-0.dev could not be found in the repositories when I did an install.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »

There's some inconsistency, then.  libusb-1.0.-0.dev could not be found in the repositories when I did an install.

Maybe not! If what you wrote immediately above is what you called for, it certainly would not have been found. The correct form is libusb-1.0-0-dev. You have some extra and incorrectly positioned dots in your version.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 10:00:40 AM »
Yeah.  I know.  I didn't check that weird spelling in my post.

I've been using a script I wrote back in 2016 to do the actual installing.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 09:14:37 PM »
So things just kept getting worse.  It finally wouldn't run, or if it did, the data was nonsense.

I rebuilt the system with a fresh install by hitting shift while rebooting, reinstalling Raspian, and then updating.

This time my install script ran without error, and everything seems to be working fine with no balkyness.

My notes from here still work, though git and cmake were already installed.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=30139.msg301649#msg301649

anything