Author Topic: VWS and Soil Temp  (Read 1720 times)

Offline daybreak

• Alma Weather
VWS and Soil Temp
« on: December 25, 2021, 06:41:28 PM »
Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas,

I just installed another Davis Sensor Transmitter to use with a soil temperature probe.  It's showing up on my Davis console as station 3 temp.  (which I setup).  But when I try to display the station 3 temp in VWS it's nothing but zeros.  Is there something I'm missing?  Do I need to tell VWS there's another station?  Thank you.

Richard

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
Re: VWS and Soil Temp
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 08:02:35 PM »
Just to clarify, the transmitter ID you use is set by the dip switches in the remote transmitter. You mentioned this is #3. The temp and humidity values that VWS returns are called "Channel X Temperature" or "Channel X Humidity" where 'X' is between 1 and 4. These values come from the corresponding position you plug the temp/humidity sensor wires into in the remote transmitter. On my system, my transmitter uses ID #3. I have 2 temp and humidity sensors in the first 2 sensor slots of each type. These show up in VWS as Channel 1 Temperature, Channel 1 Humidity, Channel 2 Temperature, and Channel 2 Humidity.

Steve

Offline daybreak

• Alma Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 08:08:58 AM »
Steve,

Thank you!  I was beating my head against the wall with VWS.  I thinking it would be Channel 3 temp!  Thanks for your response.

Richard

Offline daybreak

• Alma Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 10:20:58 AM »
Hi Steve,
If you don't mind I have one more question.   :grin: :grin: Are the channel one temperatures not in tenths of degrees?  For example my outside temp will show 48.2 etc  The soil probe shows 48.0 degrees.  I have it set for one decimal place but it's always zero.  Same way on the Davis Console.  It's no big deal, just curious.  Thanks.

Richard

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 01:42:57 PM »
Check this thread. Hope it helps.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35329.0

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 02:48:38 PM »
Hi Steve,
If you don't mind I have one more question.   :grin: :grin: Are the channel one temperatures not in tenths of degrees?  For example my outside temp will show 48.2 etc  The soil probe shows 48.0 degrees.  I have it set for one decimal place but it's always zero.  Same way on the Davis Console.  It's no big deal, just curious.  Thanks.

Richard

Hey Richard,

Since the data is coming via the console, you're seeing it correctly with one decimal place that is ALWAYS 0.

I happen to have a Weatherlink Live receiving data from my Vantage Pro 2 in addition to receiving data at the console. Just now, when I view the data for Channel 1 temperature, VWS shows 64.0 while WLL shows 63.8. I don't really understand why Davis chose to report the data differently on the console.

Steve

Offline daybreak

• Alma Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 02:54:36 PM »
Thanks Garth & Steve.   

anything