Author Topic: Davis Pro2 data reporting question  (Read 35626 times)

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Davis Pro2 data reporting question
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »
I also think it was unusual that it would work intermitantly
you would think that with a pin contact problem like that it would either work or it would not
but it could be related to maybe temperature/humidity in the room, i.e sometimes the connection would work, sometimes it would not , or similar?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2011, 04:16:57 PM »

IANAL, but it seems almost unmistakable to me that the "outage" is somewhere between Wayne's console and the WeatherLink.com server.  Of course, this is only circumstantial evidence.  However, perhaps my 50+ years of computer experience qualifies me as an "expert".

So, the possibilities include the WeatherLinkIP (hardware, software, or setup); The cable to the router; The DSL router (hardware, software, or setup), the DSL filter(s); the cabling between the router and the demarc; the physical connections between the demarc and the central office; the dozens of logical connections from there to WeatherLink.com.

I missed it by that much!

...but it really was  between Wayne's console and the WeatherLink.com server.

I once had a piece of hardware that was intermittent, and finally tracked it down to a wire-wrap wire with a hairline break in the conductor, inside the undamaged insulation about 2 inches from the connection.  Random equipment movement and perhaps temperature driven expansion/contraction were enough to make or break the circuit.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2011, 05:07:21 PM »
You were so close Dalecoy it hurts me to have ignored your analysis, especially when I was working with all new equipment.  I hope there is not a "next time" I need help in this area, but if I do, I will start with "the obvious". I did try to ascertain the size of the black plastic piece that was keeping the data logger from seating completely on the left side of the pin set, and estimate it was about 1/32" long and the diameter of a 9mm pencil lead.  Being molded from the same black plastic and matching the surrounding plastic to a "tee", it was impossible to see without the aid of a very strong magnifying glass. But it was just high enough to keep the data logger from seating perfectly upon the pin set on the left side. After 12 days of frustration, cussing, wondering and thoughts of giving up this new hobby, I am now a happy camper.  Have a good weekend fellas and thanks again for the past posts, analysis, recommendations and general help. You all are appreciated more than you may realize. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:19:07 PM by wmcatty »
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »

By the way Dalecoy, I am a skilled lawyer with semiskilled nagging urges...no technical issues with me.  Better at working my horses, cows, building fine-furniture pieces, rebuilding engines and tractors, and turning on the PC in the morning.  If technical devices do not work correctly, call the techs out.  For me, software and hardware difficulties are better serviced by someone that has the knowledge and experience...I do not make my claim to fame in this arena. But I certainly appreciate guys like you that know this tech stuff, as it eludes most of the members of my circle of friends.
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »
... but you observed that there was a slight problem with the WLIP connector seating properly in the console.

Perhaps that comes from your experience with animals, woodworking, or machinery -- but I have "known" a large number of technicians who would fail that test.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
What's that old joke about arguing with lawyers?  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
I may have spoken too soon.  The new data logger is well seated in the console but the data stopped flowing to Weatherlink three and a half hours ago after running flawlessly for 10 hours now.  Could it be the console itself?  Maybe back to square one since you boys are having so much fun with the lawyer jokes!  Frustration continues...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:05:55 PM by wmcatty »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2011, 09:10:22 PM »
Yes, it could be the console, and you're going to receive a new console.  That should reasonably diagnose things at the console/logger interface.

When the data is not flowing, can you still access weatherlink.com using your browser?

[I didn't tell any jokes -- and I'll bet money that you know better ones than Bushman does.]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:12:31 PM by dalecoy »

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2011, 09:17:33 PM »
Dalecoy, the data is still flowing uninterrupted to my PC via wireless modem, but when I logged into the Weatherlink site, it said my data was last received over 4 hours ago.  I do know a few lawyer jokes, but my favorite is:  How do you know when it is cold in Dallas?  When the lawyers have their hands in their own pockets. 

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »
... but when I logged into the Weatherlink site, it said my data was last received over 4 hours ago.

The fact that you can log into the WeatherLink.com site, demonstrates that your location (PC, router, etc.) does have connectivity to that site.  Therefore, if the WLIP "tried" to communicate with the site, it could. 

Dalecoy, the data is still flowing uninterrupted to my PC via wireless modem,...

Just for grins, do you have an Ethernet cable that you could use (temporarily) to connect your PC to the router?  [And turn off the wireless networking on your PC]?

And, please describe exactly how you know that the data is flowing uninterrupted to your PC.  [e.g., the WeatherLink Bulletin is running continually and correctly, or ....????]

[Having lived for a couple of years in the Dallas area - actually Westlake/Trophy Club - I know how seldom it gets cold]

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2011, 10:12:01 PM »
I do not have an extra ethernet cable, but my weatherlink software is getting reports every 30 minutes in the bulletin via wireless signal.  And VWS has all data displayed for the past 12 hours.  I do not understand how data can be transmitted through the router to my pc via wireless and not to Weatherlink.com.  It simply does not make any sense to me.
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:19:26 PM by wmcatty »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »
what can happen is that the software might not be releasing the port so that the IP data logger can upate weatherlink.com
try this test:
exit all software running that access the IP data logger (i.e weather link and VWS)
and then see if weatherlink.com gets an update
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2011, 10:27:33 PM »
After exiting those programs, you might also want to "reboot" your WeatherLinkIP logger.

After exiting those programs, it's OK to use your browser to access WeatherLink.Com, to see if your data is now getting there.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2011, 10:32:52 PM »
Thanks guys...I will try that now that I have closed VWS.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2011, 10:39:36 PM »
 I do not understand how data can be transmitted through the router to my pc via wireless and not to Weatherlink.com.  It simply does not make any sense to me.

If your PC is "asking" for data from WeatherLink.com, but your WeatherLinkIP has quit trying to send data to WeatherLink.com, would that make more sense?

And please confirm that you are using VWS and WeatherLink software simultaneously, without also using something like VVP?

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »
yes, it does worry that me there are 2 programs trying to get the data from the IP data logger and the IP data logger is trying to update the davis site as well
its not designed to be a fully fledged web server, i.e the numer of simultaneous connections is really limited to 1
you would be best to use VVP, which correctly releases the port every minute so that the davis site can be updated
and any software running gets the data from VVP
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2011, 10:54:09 PM »
I just powered down the console and router.  No change in data. I previously installed the Weatherlink software that Davis said to install so that it could communicate with the WLIP.  I normally do not open it.  I also have the VWS software I installed this week, but do not keep it open unless I check conditions, after which I close it. I can open either one of the programs and the data is current and will display the past 30 minute logs (Weatherlink) for several hours and VWS will display data for the past several hours as well.  I did check on WU a few minutes ago and it had my data updated at 9:00pm, but Weatherlink.com said my last data was received at 4:14pm this afternoon.  It seems to me that Weatherlink.com is the primary server and uploads to WU, so I do not know why there is such a discrepancy in times of reporting.  As far as VVP, I do not know what it is, nor have I installed any other software other than Weatherlink and VWS.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:00:11 PM by wmcatty »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2011, 11:11:17 PM »
oh, it was not clear that you only were briefly running those programs (so they could get past history data)
that does not however prove much, when it comes to the problem of data not getting to the davis site past your router....
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2011, 11:16:34 PM »
Weather Display, I just powered down the router and console again, and checked with weatherlink.com...my data is now flowing.  I guess my console is in need of replacing, which Davis is going to do this week.  I now think it is in the console itself.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2011, 09:58:56 AM »
Weather Display, I just powered down the router and console again, and checked with weatherlink.com...my data is now flowing.  I guess my console is in need of replacing, which Davis is going to do this week.  I now think it is in the console itself.

I'm not convinced that it is (or isn't) the console.

I suggest that you try not running WeatherLink and not running VWS, until your new console arrives.  If those are the only weather software programs you are running, and if the WeatherLink.com upload stops anyhow, that will be rather conclusive that it is not one of those programs.

Note: Just before you change out the console, run both of those programs so they can get the data from the logger.

Question: What is the exact model number of your router?  [You may have answered that before, somewhere in this long discussion, but I couldn't easily find it]  Also, is the WeatherLinkIP the only thing that is plugged into the router?

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2011, 10:12:12 AM »
The router is a Westell A90 and has the telephone line and WLIP plugged into it.  I will run both programs before installing the new console, but will not run them for the next few days and see how things add up.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »
Thanks. 

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2011, 12:42:44 PM »
A lightbulb just went off in my head... :idea:

I have been following the thread (intermittently, like the problem) but the last post about the router got me thinking about a somewhat similar issue I had at home when my daughter got a new laptop.  It may not be related at all, but it's a nice thing to know, so I will share.

I had been running for several years without problems.  A couple of WinXP PCs hardwired through a switch or two, a couple of XP laptops, some Linux Tivos and my wife's Win7 laptop.  About the time my daughter got her Win7 laptop, both she and my wife started having connectivity issues.  Win7 would suddenly say that my router was an "unknown network" and disallow internet access.  Sometimes it would be my daughter's, sometimes my wife's, sometimes both.  Doing a "repair" would sometimes fix it.  I finally discovered that the problem would occur only when both of them had their laptops ON at the same time (for a time) and then one of them turned theirs off.  Then the other one would stop connecting to the internet.  "Repair" would only then work if the other laptop was still OFF.

After beating my head against it for days, I figured it out...  When ONE Win7 computer ONLY was connected to the router (wirelessly) it would setup an IPv4 connection and work fine.  If that laptop was still powered on and the OTHER Win7 laptop was powered ON, it would first look for an IPv6 (start with the newest tech, right?) which it would find peer-to-peer with the other Win7 laptop, then share it's IPv4 connection to the router and ergo the internet.  When the FIRST (connected) Win7 laptop was powered off, the SECOND one wouldn’t release the IPv6 association with the router via an internal IP, but was still connected to the router’s SSID, but reported it as "unidentified network" and blocked internet access.  Doing a “repair” (only with the other laptop OFF) would fix it, until the other computer connected to THIS laptop (IPv6) and THIS first laptop then got shut down.  Then the problem just moved to THAT laptop.

I was blaming Win7 and started rolling back updates, which didn’t help.  It finally dawned on me that my cheapie Airlink101 router was quite old and may not support IPv6.  I checked, and it didn’t.  No updates available either.  A quick trip to Fry’s for a new BelkinN+, and no problems at all with connectivity since.

Bringing the light-bulb moment back around, have there been any other hardware changes to your network?  I think you tried another router, but what about connected devices?  Disable those for testing?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:47:03 PM by xykotik »

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
I think we were told that the only devices are the WeatherLinkIP (hardwired) and the one PC connecting wirelessly.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
oh, it was not clear that you only were briefly running those programs (so they could get past history data)

And it still may not be clear.  Let's check - because we may not be speaking the same language:

... I previously installed the Weatherlink software that Davis said to install so that it could communicate with the WLIP.  I normally do not open it.  I also have the VWS software I installed this week, but do not keep it open unless I check conditions, after which I close it. I can open either one of the programs and the data is current and will display the past 30 minute logs (Weatherlink) for several hours and VWS will display data for the past several hours as well. .....

Without actually doing it on your PC....

Please tell us exactly what you do to "close" a program, and what you do to "open it".

Also (without trying it) - you say when you open WeatherLink the data is current.  When you open it, does WeatherLink show you a message about downloading data?  Or is the data just there, all the time?

I'm not trying to be critical - just trying to make sure that we all understand precisely what you are saying.