Author Topic: Davis VP2 unit suddenly reads 20deg F low and humidity 25% higher  (Read 337 times)

Offline JPB

Davis VP2 unit suddenly reads 20deg F low and humidity 25% higher
« on: September 03, 2022, 09:21:51 PM »
About 180 or so minutes ago, my Davis Vantage Pro 2 that has worked well for a few years (and I do maintain it) suddenly dropped the temperature reading 20 degrees, and, simultaneously, raised the humidity reading by about 25%. I have no idea as to what could trigger this happening. I am going to go open it now to see if something happened like a battery bursting (I hope not!) but has anyone seen this happen or have any ideas as to what could cause two sensors to do this? You can see what happened if you go to https://westvi.com/weather and scroll down to look at the temperature (and wind chill, which is computed), and humidity graphs.
Davis Pro 2, Meteohub

Offline JPB

Re: Davis VP2 unit suddenly reads 20deg F low and humidity 25% higher
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 09:53:27 PM »
Well... I just simply reset the unit by disconnecting both the solar panel and the battery - and it seems to be giving decent readings again. Oh well... we will see if it stays that way...
Davis Pro 2, Meteohub

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Davis VP2 unit suddenly reads 20deg F low and humidity 25% higher
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 12:06:14 AM »
Don't be surprised if it doesn't, as your sensor may be on the way out the door. BTW, it's one sensor, not two, it's made by Sensirion, the SHT31. It measures both temp and humidity, so one effects the other's reading, that's why you see two erroneous values reported. It's about $50 to replace if needed and super simple to do.

anything