Author Topic: 5in1 vs Atlas Stock vs Atlas modifed  (Read 1140 times)

Offline giveme5

5in1 vs Atlas Stock vs Atlas modifed
« on: July 10, 2022, 07:58:55 PM »
Same placement, similar days

Stock 5in1
daily high 4.1 degrees above NWS station on the same day
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Stock Atlas
daily high 3.6 degrees above NWS station on the same day

Atlas with fan running from dawn till dusk
daily high 2.7 degrees above NWS station on the same day

Modified Atlas with all black surfaces spray painted white, with extra spacing between body and temp sensor, NO fan.
daily high 1.2 degrees above NWS station on the same day

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: 5in1 vs Atlas Stock vs Atlas modifed
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 08:41:24 PM »
Interesting.  My 5-N-1 and Atlas run similar to yours. The 5-N-1's daily high would be 4°-6° above NWS's and the Atlas would always be 1°-2° higher. Even during the winter months.

I don't understand having a weather station with a black bottom rain gauge like the Atlas has. Looks nice, but seems strange. So, I like your modified Atlas results.

Thanks for sharing your results.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 08:45:06 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline giveme5

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 09:36:17 PM »
I believe the top is black to help with snow and ice, but black top is not suitable for American Southwest where snow and ice is non-issue for the most part. Sun on the other hand...

Also, there's not enough separation between top body and sensor enclosure. Air inside body heats up to 30-40 degrees (more on 100+ days) above ambient temperature and there simply isn't enough separation nor air volume in sensor enclosure.

And looking at the Atlas Elite pictures, it seems, similar design flaws are present. Looking at Davis Pro2, even though, top is black, sensor enclosure does not share the wall with upper body and there's also enough separation and sensor enclosure is much larger.

Anyway, Atlas is not my primary weather station anymore (replaced with Davis Pro2), therefore I wasn't afraid to experiment with. The temperature curve looks much nicer without fan. Still, doesn't come close to stock Davis Pro2 where I get +- 1 degree in average when compared to NWS staton (without software set offset).

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 08:25:16 AM »
I found painting the 5 in 1 bright white helped lower readings a couple of degrees easily. The fan just doesn't work well IMO. It raises the humidity 5 - 7% too much in humid weather. In dry weather it seems OK though. I just wish Acurite would allow a separate unit for air temp/humid readings that would work with their displays and internet uploads. They need to be flexible, and give more options on their website sharing.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 09:16:01 AM »
I just wish Acurite would allow a separate unit for air temp/humid readings that would work with their displays and internet uploads. They need to be flexible, and give more options on their website sharing.

Since the Access picks up most of AcuRite's sensors, you would think they could modify it to let you select which sensors data you want to send to MyAcruite.com and WU. The displays could be modified for sensor selection too.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 03:43:54 PM »
Just for interest, and because my sensor was yellowed, I took it down and painted it white again. I also drilled more holes in the wind bearing/solar panel section for the fan to be able to exhaust heat better. I've got to wait for things to dry before I can put it back in service.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 12:41:08 PM »
Can't seem to get any sunshine since I put the station back in service, but it does at first inspection seem to be about a degree cooler than it had been most of the time. Once the sun comes out and cooks it good, it should be more interesting.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 06:13:12 PM »
Had enough sun today to tell that the 5 N 1 is running 2-3 F cooler than it had been before putting two coats of glossy white on it. Atlas had a high of 89 F. Painted 5 N 1 had a high of 87 F

anything