Author Topic: Recommend a station which sends data to PC, not access via web service  (Read 1617 times)

Offline dead_flag

I'm looking for a weather station that will send its data directly to a computer (Linux or Windows, Raspberry Pi involvement is an option too) that is always on via usb or wifi. I'd like to run some kind of weather data software (free if possible, definitely nothing subscription based) on that computer as well.

I do not want to download the data from a server/web service or have to manually fetch it with SD cards. It would be ok if the data also went to a web service in parallel or after it's sent to my PC, but do not want to depend on another website/API in order to actually access my data.

I'm willing to spend around $500 and am located in the United States (zone 5b).

Interested in collecting and storing historical data for:
- Temperature
- Rainfall
- Wind Speed & Direction
- Humidity
- Soil Temp
- Soil Moisture
- Pressure
- Lightning (not required, but would be nice)

Is there a weather station out there that I can do this with? An intermediate level of tinkering is fine, and the price range is a little flexible. Thanks!

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Hi, and welcome...
Davis VP2 or Vue, Weatherlink Live, and CumulusMX for software (free).

Davis Instruments
Cumulus Wiki

Buy the Davis from an authorized dealer like Scaled Instruments for huge saving compared to direct from Davis.  Support if needed is from Davis.
Scaled Instruments

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
I agree about Scaled Instruments.  Ryan, despite how little I buy, has been extremely helpful, every time, and as PaulMy mentions, there is a quite a savings over MSRP.

I would also have you look at WeeWx as a software source.  Free, yes.  Exceptional support on their user forum.  A while bunch of supported stations. A nice simple but very robust use of a database.  It is Linux based but it sounds as if that is what you're interested in.

I run my system on a Rasp Pi 4, latest version.  I need to save up for replacing my ancient Vantage Pro 2.  Drop over to their user forum and look through some of the messages. It ranges from simple hand holding help to very complex looks at modifying the program to do what you want it to (especially extra sensors and complex data base extractions.

One of the 'skins' that they do support is Belchertown, which is very colorful and a very helpful customization help page, too.

But the out of the box display of the weather info, charts, graphs  and if you install the ephemeris.py module to your Rasp Pi (Debian?) it gives tons of info on the sun, moon, and even more of the planets if you want them. 

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline dead_flag

Thank you DaleReid and PaulMy.

I'm looking into the Davis equipment and if I'm understanding correctly, I'll need the WeatherLink Live to get my data to go anywhere other than the console, correct? Do the other types of data loggers accomplish the same, also is there a home-brew option for this?

If using the WeatherLink Live to capture my data, is it correct that I don't have to use the WeatherLink (Pro for historical data) software and can use Cumulus or WeeWx instead, and thus avoid having to pay the pro subscription?

Also, it looks like I'll need the separate Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temperature Station and sensors to get soil temp/moisture data? It looks like this will talk to the WeatherLink Live or VP2, but not the Vue, which wouldn't be a problem if I get the Weatherlink Live anyway.

Thank you for recommending Scaled Instruments. There really is a significant difference in price.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Thank you DaleReid and PaulMy.

I'm looking into the Davis equipment and if I'm understanding correctly, I'll need the WeatherLink Live to get my data to go anywhere other than the console, correct? Do the other types of data loggers accomplish the same, also is there a home-brew option for this?

If using the WeatherLink Live to capture my data, is it correct that I don't have to use the WeatherLink (Pro for historical data) software and can use Cumulus or WeeWx instead, and thus avoid having to pay the pro subscription?

Also, it looks like I'll need the separate Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temperature Station and sensors to get soil temp/moisture data? It looks like this will talk to the WeatherLink Live or VP2, but not the Vue, which wouldn't be a problem if I get the Weatherlink Live anyway.

Thank you for recommending Scaled Instruments. There really is a significant difference in price.

An excellent data logger is WiFiLogger that you can also purchase from Scaled Instruments. I use it to talk to my Weatherlink software on port 22222, and it can upload from there or some sites (e.g., Weather Underground, CWOP, etc.) directly from the logger itself.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:34:04 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather

Hi,

You can get the Davis VP2 (ISS) with or without a console. 
A console will let you view the live data on it.  A console can also accommodate a data logger, i.e. Davis USB or Serial, or third-party logger like WiFiLogger.  With the logger data can be accessed by programs like WeatherlinkPC or CumulusMX or similar.  With the IP logger like WiFiLogger you can update Weatherlink.com and many other weather sites like WU, WOW, etc. without running a computer or RPI. The third party programs like CumulusMX, etc. can also do those uploads.

The Weatherlink Live is a sort of console/datalogger combo without a screen, a bit like the Envoy.  You can use it with or without a console, so save some cost if you do not intend to view live data on the console.  You would view the data on the Weatherlink App or Weatherlink.com site instead.  WLL uploads to WL.com, and at the same time programs like CumulusMX, etc. can access the live data.  WLL has more capacity than the USB/serial logger and will catch up the data upload to WL.com if your internet service might be interrupted.  It can also receive from more than one source - i.e. ISS, extra sensors, etc.

The WL App can access your data through WL.com.  WL.com basic free subscription saves data only at 15 minute interval.  The WL.com Pro subscription can save at 5 minute interval.

The Weatherlink PC software is not needed unless you want to run it on your PC.  It can only receive data from console/logger device.  Programs like CumulusMX, etc. can do mostly all that WLPC does, and more.

Whether WL.com is being updated by WLPC, WLL or WiFiLogger the historical data catch up from WL.com can only be accessed by third-party programs if you have a WL.com Pro subscription. 

Correct.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline zinz

I mean the ecowitt system is also an option with your requirements. Did you read the summary https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0 ?

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Note, that though the VP2+logger is ok, both the WLL and Ecowitt solutions require an internet connection, at least intermittently.
Mark