Author Topic: Newbie wants to buy a weather station  (Read 1219 times)

Offline BadBlake

Newbie wants to buy a weather station
« on: May 03, 2022, 03:11:18 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a weather station and I would like one that I can expand with more external sensors like temp gauges and lightning sensor.
I also wan to be able to transfer weather data to my computer and be able to enter this data into software like Easy Weather or something like it.
The ProTech WSMIHP2550 has come to mind but I don't know if its possible to transfer data to my computer -doesn't say anything about it in the online manual anyway.
Does anybody know anything about this or maybe suggest another station that has these options?
I live in Norway by the way so it would be nice to buy one suitable for Europe.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Offline box

• Forecaster
Re: Newbie wants to buy a weather station
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 05:20:11 AM »
Welcome to our world!

Time spent on research is never wasted, I spent 4 months workig out what I needed to start with and built from there

I am not familar with that station but it looks like a Fine Offset clone

Read Gyvate's comprehensive guide here https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0

Its daunting but after a while you will start to refine your requirement:

• Composite sensor (multiple sensors in one piece of kit, simplifies mouting but compromise location) or separates (sensors in various sites linked together, permits optimal location but increased complexity of installation) which will in turn depend on your siting options

Connectivity requirement (connect to what using what and the power requirement)

Resilience/quality, especialy on an exposed site

Mounting requirement

Budget!!

There are numerous resellers of FineOffset kit, many described in the link and available from various websites, including various flavours of amazon

The Fine Offset system is modular and allows you to grow your system with your developing interest and within budget and connect to the internet and computers (all sorts) via gateway units where you can run various software products to analyse and manipulate your data and/or send it on to other weather services

Ther are other options - Davis is highly regarded and may be more suitable for your purposes and climate

There are users of most systems on these boards so once you have done some research ask questions!

anything