Author Topic: Lesson learned  (Read 450 times)

Offline box

• Forecaster
Lesson learned
« on: December 01, 2021, 04:36:36 AM »
Lesson learned last night

We had our first major power outage of the winter (survived Storm Arwen last weekend but a powerline went down around 2145)

My UPS plan swung into action:

GW1000 UPS switched in, continued to run happily [tup]

PC continued to run and log data on Cumulus MX [tup]

Fibre modem didn't stay on - plugged into the power surge side of the UPS not the battery-protected part :oops: #-o

So, no data lost, PC ran for 57 minutes on battery (APC reported only 13 minutes left when power restored) but it wasnt reported to the internet

On the bright side running the router off the UPS as well would have probably meant lost data given the time to restore mains power

Lesson - check your connections actually match your plan!

Think I will shop for a separate UPS for the router......

Offline Jeje2

• Contributor
Re: Lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 02:24:45 PM »
I'm also using UPS (2 pcs) to protect my system.

First UPS has the network: starting from Fibre optic to RJ-45 converter, actual router, 24 port gigibit switch and home NAS.  The second UPS is to protect my main PC, but now one Power-plug also is to feed power to the GW1100.

Luckily my need for UPS reduced significantly some 3-4 years ago, when then the power company finally got the intermediate power line to our area moved under ground. 
Ecowitt:
  • GW1102 Wi-Fi Weather Station with Solar Powered Wireless Anemometer, UV & Light Sensor, Self-Emptying Rain Collector
    • GW1100 Ecowitt Wireless Weather Station Gateway
    • WS68 Wireless Solar Powered Anemometer with Light & UV Sensor
    • WH40 Wireless Self-Emptying Rain Collector Rainfall Sensor
    • Outdoor Temperature and Humidity Sensor
  • WH31 Multi-Channel Temperature and humidity Sensor (8 pcs)
  • WH51 Wireless Soil Moisture Sensor
  • WH45 Indoor CO2 PM2.5 PM10 Temperature and Humidity 5-in-1 Air Quality Sensor
  • WH57 Outdoor Wireless Lightning Detection Sens

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 02:55:27 PM »
I've also installed two UPS units (APC)
- one for the "weather infrastructure" (consoles, data loggers [Meteobridge, RPis], the WiFi access point, a small dedicated (8-port) "weather" switch, the internet router and modem)
- one for my main NAS server and the remaining network infrastructure. My laptop can be connected to either UPS, but has its own battery which lasts longer than the two UPSs in series.
The main PC doesn't run 24/7 and would be an unnecessary power consumer.
The infra should survive a one hour blackout unattended. Attended (i.e. when I'm around during the power outage) it could be extended up to two hours by gracefully shutting down the NAS server.
So far my UPSs reported only one 2 second blackout for this year - fingers crossed.
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 06:25:13 PM »
I've also installed two UPS units (APC)
- one for the "weather infrastructure" (consoles, data loggers [Meteobridge, RPis], the WiFi access point, a small dedicated (8-port) "weather" switch, the internet router and modem)
- one for my main NAS server and the remaining network infrastructure. My laptop can be connected to either UPS, but has its own battery which lasts longer than the two UPSs in series.
The main PC doesn't run 24/7 and would be an unnecessary power consumer.
The infra should survive a one hour blackout unattended. Attended (i.e. when I'm around during the power outage) it could be extended up to two hours by gracefully shutting down the NAS server.
So far my UPSs reported only one 2 second blackout for this year - fingers crossed.

Its interesting how many short term blackouts we get. This last one was almost an hour but we have had two others in the past three months totalling a couple of minutes - we hadn't noticed but the UPS had!

Offline solartempest

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 08:35:02 PM »
Lesson learned indeed! When I bought my first UPS and tested it, that was a quick discovery process.  :roll:

Since August, I've had 7 power outages ranging from 6s to 50 minutes. Used to maintain long-term UPS logs on my server but since there wasn't much I could do about them, I stopped running that service.

Quite jealous of the reliable power all of you have as compared to my area.
Ecowitt GW1000, HP2553BC, WS80, WH51x4, WH41, WH45, WH40, WH32, WH31x2, WH57x2.

Offline Jeje2

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 01:22:01 AM »
Quite jealous of the reliable power all of you have as compared to my area.

This has nothing to do with original topic, but gives an explanation to reliability in my area today

In Finland we had a storm that hit us on the second day of cmas in 2011 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Dagmar) and a lot of people had electrical black-out. Large areas of phone network went down as well... We, who live on the edge of a small urban area where some 36h without electricity - but on the countryside it took way too long to fix the problems.

After this storm eventually some time later new lays where stated that the power cables are to be built underground in next 20-30 years...  This has significantly increased the reliability of our electrical network against storms...  But it has also sky rocketed our electrical transfer bills ...  so much that actually last year new lays where stated where more time was given to dig the cables under ground and  new restrictions put on these companies for how much they can increase the prices  or make profit out of this situation...

So we have had some lessons learned in the past decade and now we do have better network against storms but also pay for it a higher price...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 02:00:58 AM by Jeje2 »
Ecowitt:
  • GW1102 Wi-Fi Weather Station with Solar Powered Wireless Anemometer, UV & Light Sensor, Self-Emptying Rain Collector
    • GW1100 Ecowitt Wireless Weather Station Gateway
    • WS68 Wireless Solar Powered Anemometer with Light & UV Sensor
    • WH40 Wireless Self-Emptying Rain Collector Rainfall Sensor
    • Outdoor Temperature and Humidity Sensor
  • WH31 Multi-Channel Temperature and humidity Sensor (8 pcs)
  • WH51 Wireless Soil Moisture Sensor
  • WH45 Indoor CO2 PM2.5 PM10 Temperature and Humidity 5-in-1 Air Quality Sensor
  • WH57 Outdoor Wireless Lightning Detection Sens