Author Topic: Meteobridge NanoSD endlessly resetting  (Read 651 times)

Offline Tyfelin

Meteobridge NanoSD endlessly resetting
« on: November 29, 2021, 12:25:24 PM »
Hi,

That's the problem in a nutshell. Looks a lot like it boots to the point where it's trying to access the Internet and Meteobridge, fails, restarts....repeat.

I think the original cause was a brief interruption to power, causing a WiFi repeater to restart and possibly change channel.

In the past when this happens, I've been able to access the in-built WiFi hotspot, log in and change stuff. Usually a save+reboot is all it takes.

Right now, it never seems to get to the point where it brings up that hotspot.

I have tried:

Interrupting the boot by pressing the blue button on the logger. The LED changes to very rapid flashing if I do that - but no WiFi hotspot advertised. Further button presses DO NOT result in the LED reverting to a slow flash - so the various reset options aren't available either.

Powering off and on again - on restart the old pattern kicks in.

So I could do with some ideas about bootstrapping this thing into a stable condition, where I might reconnect it to my WiFi.

The set up:
NanoSD 2gigabyte.
Davis VantagePro console
Davis mains power supply plus console batteries for backup

Weather nets connected (on a good day): Wunderground and UK Met Office

Regards,

Andy

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Meteobridge NanoSD endlessly resetting
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 03:02:41 PM »
Would appear a weak internet connection?
This WiFi repeater sounds like it needs checking out?
How far is the NanoSD from this Repeater? How far is the Repeater from the main router?
Are you able to move the NanoSD closer to the main WiFi?
What is the color of the NanoSD wire strap, Black or Red   

Offline Tyfelin

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 05:25:36 PM »
Hi Matt. The wireless repeater is doing a pretty good job for about a half dozen other devices. The internet connection downloads at around 100mb/s. The Nano is about 5 metres from it, line of sight. That’s not to say that it gets a brilliant signal, because it’s wall mounted. I might try and check that out, if I can coax it out of its loop. The strap is red.

Andy

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 05:34:58 PM »
Red Strap? Ok what is the capacity of the power pack? Original Davis or have you upgraded this already?

Offline Tyfelin

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 08:27:45 AM »
Original Davis. 11VA.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 04:18:36 PM »
See some discussion here regard power requirements https://forum.meteohub.de/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13795

Offline Tyfelin

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 11:38:58 AM »
Fixed - for now.

I tried the power-on-off-on sequence in the thread above, in case the PSU in underpowered. Boot sequence preceded as normal but this time it advertised its internal WIFi hotspot. I connected and checked networking. It said it had successfully connected to the Internet, and the LED went solid. I’m tempted to think there’s at least a couple of issues:

- Nano not handling auto selection of WiFi very well, and ‘missing’ the allocated channel on boot (I’ve made channel selection static on the repeater at 2.4GHz)

- some challenges with the internal hotspot not being offered in parallel with using the radio to connect to the local network, which might I suppose be related to power consumption.

I’ll order a bigger PSU, and hopefully that’ll steady the ship.

Thanks for the help!