Author Topic: Looking for Historical Data for Central Australia  (Read 886 times)

Offline bigalpha

Looking for Historical Data for Central Australia
« on: November 16, 2021, 12:05:57 AM »
My gf has a bearded dragon and I want to automate his vivarium to most accurately simulate what his actual environment would be.

I'm looking for some tables of information related to historical averages for central Australia, hopefully temperature, humidity, max wind speed and sunrise/sunset. 

I hope to find all-time averages for each day of the year; I tried bom.gov.au but it all only seems to be monthly averages.

Any good ideas where I can find this???

TIA!

Offline TrugWX

• Senior Meteorologist (ret), Australian Bureau of Meteorology
  • Senior Contributor
  • Truganina Weather
    • Truganina Weather
Re: Looking for Historical Data for Central Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 12:37:03 AM »
Monthly averages are freely available from the BOM website. Requests for specific data incur charges as per the following link http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data-services/charges.shtml. Hope this helps.

Offline ambee

• Weather API
  • Environment Intelligence Platform
    • Weather API -Ambee
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 02:23:48 AM »
Hi,

I hope you are doing well. I have gone through the post you shared.  For the Historical Data for Central Australia, You check with https://www.gspatial.ai/. Gspatial.ai’s weather data repositories provide accurate insights, identify patterns, trends, and variations in meteorological parameters over the specified time.

I hope this will help you.

If you have any query feel free to ask. I will surely help you out.

Thanks,
Vidzz
Ambee fuses the power of thousands of on-ground sensor data and hundreds of remote imagery from satellites. Our state-of-the-art AI and ML techniques with proprietary models analyze environmental factors such as air quality, soil, micro weather, pollen, and more to help millions worldwide say safe and protect themselves. Air Quality API

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 04:43:11 AM »
Once the data has been homogenized, nobody would have a clue what it meant! 

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 05:34:11 PM »
Before anyone actually believe that, it is best to find out what homegenisation actually is. It isn't "fudging". That is just another conspiracy theory. If you want to see an example of homogenisation, have a look at the difference Glaisher and stevenson screen measurements. Adelaide has run aside by side comparison of these two types of weather screen (1887 to 1947) to see what differences in temperature can be seen because of the different types of equipment - the reasons for the differences are obvious if you look at the physical designs. To compare old readings to modern (stevenson screen) readings, "homogenisation" is required so that the comparison is "apples for apples". Note that this comparison was done well before the current conspiracy fads gained popularity.

"Homogenisation" of readings can be seen whenever any old item of equipment is replaced with a new one. Comparisons are done to see what difference can be expected when the same parameter is measured.

“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 12:45:49 AM »
Before anyone actually believe that, it is best to find out what homegenisation actually is. It isn't "fudging". That is just another conspiracy theory. If you want to see an example of homogenisation, have a look at the difference Glaisher and stevenson screen measurements. Adelaide has run aside by side comparison of these two types of weather screen (1887 to 1947) to see what differences in temperature can be seen because of the different types of equipment - the reasons for the differences are obvious if you look at the physical designs. To compare old readings to modern (stevenson screen) readings, "homogenisation" is required so that the comparison is "apples for apples". Note that this comparison was done well before the current conspiracy fads gained popularity.

"Homogenisation" of readings can be seen whenever any old item of equipment is replaced with a new one. Comparisons are done to see what difference can be expected when the same parameter is measured.

You must be of the faith, the BOM faithfull, you shall believe what the BOM says  :shock: But unfortunately for you the BOM have failed dismally in this regard and have been on the back foot trying to justify the continual fiddling (yes Homogenization) in getting the result they and the Gov expects, this attitude simply has to be held to account, another term for homogenization is the phenomenon of noble cause corruption. We can start with the following and there's much more that totally fail the folly re  homogenization

https://jennifermarohasy.com/2014/09/bureau-caught-in-own-tangled-web-of-homogenisation/

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 08:04:03 AM »
You must be of the faith, the BOM faithfull, you shall believe what the BOM says  :shock: But unfortunately for you the BOM have failed dismally in this regard and have been on the back foot trying to justify the continual fiddling (yes Homogenization) in getting the result they and the Gov expects [...]
Amusing claim. What are you suggesting "they and the Gov expects"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you mean "climate change caused by carbon dioxide released by burning fossil fuels". If so, I would be fascinated why the government under Prime Minister Morrison would want anything but the opposite of what the article you cited is claiming. As it stands, only someone who knew nothing about Australia would think that the current government would be pressuring the BOM to get results that were diametrically opposed to their objectives of selling  more coal and gas.

I'm sure you will have no faith in the link I provide that addresses the one you gave, but others will find it interesting.

https://theconversation.com/no-the-bureau-of-meteorology-is-not-fiddling-its-weather-data-31009

“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll