Author Topic: Acurite Sucks/ Any way to avoid this being a brick?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline acuritesucks

Acurite Sucks/ Any way to avoid this being a brick?
« on: October 20, 2021, 05:04:16 PM »
I swear they are the worst consumer products company bar none. I thought I was getting quality when I bought a weather station from them. I previously owned an Ambient Weather station that I used with a Raspberry Pi 2 running Weewx and lasted me several years. When I moved I left it at my old place since I was going to be living in apartments for awhile.

In July, I bought property and moved here to Arizona. I wanted to be able to monitor weather remotely while I was in town to keep track of weather. I looked for different stations and bought a Acurite 5 in 1 because I liked that it would connect directly to Weather Underground and I could monitor in real time without the need for a separate computer.

Imagine my disappointment when this turned into a brick a few weeks ago. They knew this was going to happen and they sold them anyways. I think it';s fraud, but I digress none of that solves the problem.

I wasted the money to buy the system. I threw away that money and all Acurite can say is that I should buy another display for it. I suppose I could do that but that is rewarding a sucky company. I'd just as soon buy a whole new weather station from someone who doesn't think it's ok to screw people over.

Before I do that, I wonder if there is any way to capture the API calls? I know it would be trivial to create a hosts file that would send the API address to another site. Could it be read? Is the request a plain text? Or maybe this is just too difficult and I should buy something that actually works from a company that gives a damn about its customers.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Acurite Sucks/ Any way to avoid this being a brick?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 07:14:35 PM »
WeeWX can use the rtl_433 and the SDR driver with your existing Raspberry Pi to pick the radio packets off of the air, minus the barometer since there is none in the 5-in-1.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite Sucks/ Any way to avoid this being a brick?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 07:48:38 PM »
The outdoor sensors are really good, but the software end needs a lot of attention... and reassessment IMO. Also there just isn't anyone who has come up with a way to take the IP address of a display that is in your network and make it work with 3rd party software yet. There really isn't any software to work with PC connect other than what acurite has, and it will only work with Wunderground, which has become very poor as well.