Author Topic: From WU " Webcam hosting service will be discontinued on October 21, 2021"  (Read 3881 times)

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
Re: From WU " Webcam hosting service will be discontinued on October 21, 2021"
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2021, 08:59:30 PM »
There is a script for using Cumulus1 data for AWEKAS.  For this method AWEKAS needs to be set to use Cumulus in the Report Mode.  Some information here Tutorial for uploading to AWEKAS - Page 4 - Cumulus Support (hosiene.co.uk)

Of course, with CumulusMX it is just some simple settings.

Enjoy,
Paul
Thanks for that Paul sounds like it's just what I need,  I'll have a read  [tup]

Pretty straightforward and quick to get it up and running with Cumulus1, station + cam working fine.
https://www.awekas.at/en/instrument.php?id=20487
 The guide you linked to was very useful, thanks again  8-)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2021, 09:15:55 PM »
I've switched my webcam to a service called webcam.io. It's been serving me well it's free if you can put up with the watermark they add to it. I am paying for the service so I don't get the watermark embedded in my feeds. It would be nice if WU would allow us to post the link to our cam sites on the WUNDERGROUND page. I have a request in for that feature update but have not received any feedback from them regarding the request.
https://webcam.io/webcams/XMXxKM

From IBM’s standpoint, why would they want to facilitate you or any other user by allowing a link to a webcam? Why not a link to the Yankees or Cubs webpage or whatever? They would have to initially and periodically test web links to ensure they don’t go to inappropriate content. Doesn’t make sense.

Everyone else who hosts web cams vets your submission before publishing so it can't be that hard.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2021, 02:36:43 PM »
I pulled the plug on the 21st. It won't make a real difference to their ingestion, but will go a long way for my indigestion. Good riddance WU.

I think that all disgusted WU users, webcam or not disgusted, should disconnect from WU on October 21.   I'm sure IBM has already calculated the possible data loss into their decision, but actually seeing and experiencing it, especially if it is a large data loss, might make them at least regret their decision somewhat.

The excuse that "cameras are so different" is so weak as to be laughable.  A jpg is a jpg no matter what camera produces it.  The size are already very limited, so where's that problem coming from?  Just more mealy mouthed excuses from IBM.  Why can't they openly admit it's all about squeezing every last dollar out of the data they receive for free other than the inherent overhead of collecting and collating it.

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2021, 03:19:36 PM »
Alive and kicking  8-)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2021, 03:48:51 PM »
Alive and kicking  8-)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I considered shutting it down. Unless it were en-mass..... :arrow:.....a couple disconnects will not teach andbody anything.

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2021, 05:38:05 PM »
I considered shutting it down. Unless it were en-mass..... :arrow:.....a couple disconnects will not teach andbody anything.
Indeed, they claim their PWS Network has 250,000+ Weather Stations, even if a few thousand quit at the same time (and what's the chances of that ?) it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to them.
 It costs me nothing to share my data with anyone who wants it via WU ( and many other sites) and I'd rather share it than sit on it 8-)

anything