Author Topic: Atlas up and running  (Read 1072 times)

Offline DanInNC

Atlas up and running
« on: June 21, 2021, 08:35:17 PM »
I started out last year with just the 5 in 1 mounted a few feet over the roof, but wanted more height for the wind.   Ended up going with an Atlas, and keeping the 5 in 1.  Both on remote batteries now, thankfully.

If anyone has any input on the mounting of the main Atlas body I'm interested to hear.  I wanted it at least a few feet above the roof to minimize temperature problems from the asphalt shingles, but I'm already seconding-guessing the height.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline jjh92

Re: Atlas up and running
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 08:12:40 AM »
One thought on the Atlas body, just swing it around so it hangs over the side of the building.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 09:52:16 AM »
One thought on the Atlas body, just swing it around so it hangs over the side of the building.

Thanks!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 08:57:18 AM »
Big Solar panel should point south, so swinging it around would not be the best idea. The panel also powers the unit. I would have installed the head 5 ft above ground. Also cleaning the rain gauge is going to be needed regularly. You need to lift the lid and clean the funnel hole, as it tends to get stopped up.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 09:02:59 AM »
Hello neighbor.

Ok, yeah....it is pointing south.  I find that my 5 in 1 rain stays perfectly clean in this location, so I am not terribly worried about cleaning the rain gauge. 

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 10:03:38 AM »
Hello.

I guess you don't have the "bird" problems I do. :D Birds use mine as a toilet.