Author Topic: Ads when viewing my stations in CWOP  (Read 905 times)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Ads when viewing my stations in CWOP
« on: June 30, 2021, 01:02:05 PM »
For the last several weeks, I get very annoying ads when viewing my weather stations that upload to CWOP. I would be willing to pay a modest annual fee, say $25, to avoid these ads. Do other users find these ads as annoying as I do? If so, would you be willing to pay a fee to avoid them? On a related matter, if you upload your stations to Weather Underground, WU will remove any ads when viewing your pws data as an accommodation to having your data.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Ads when viewing my stations in CWOP
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
Which website are you seeing ads on? FindU? Gladstonefamily? MesoWest? APRS.fi? APRSdirect? MADIS surface...or somewhere else?

I don't get any ads on any of these....but then again there are things you can do to remove the ads that I do....Pi-hole, uBlock..etc.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 02:26:35 PM »
My omission. It is findu using Safari on my iPad.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 02:31:39 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 02:31:50 PM »
I see them on my Android phone, but not the PC. On the PC, I use Firefox with uBlock Origin, so that seems to take care of them. I wouldn't mind something at the bottom of the screen or something, but I find them popping on top of what I am trying to see annoying...

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 02:35:12 PM »
Simplest solution is to install uBlock extension into your Chrome browser. Another approach is to set up a Pi-hole on your network. The benefit of the added effort for Pi-hole is that it would cover your entire network including mobile devices without having to separately manage any of the devices, plus it is more powerful in other ways.

Realize that CWOP is not a one-thing weather network. CWOP only exists because it is a culmination of a bunch of separate projects all managed by different entities. The FindU system which is one of the parts of CWOP actually serves other purposes than just CWOP. There is a donation link for FindU and it would be nice if you could donate and then become a premium member...but that option is not available.
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 02:40:26 PM »
Simplest solution is to install uBlock extension into your Chrome browser. Another approach is to set up a Pi-hole on your network. The benefit of the added effort for Pi-hole is that it would cover your entire network including mobile devices without having to separately manage any of the devices, plus it is more powerful in other ways.

Realize that CWOP is not a one-thing weather network. CWOP only exists because it is a culmination of a bunch of separate projects all managed by different entities. The FindU system which is one of the parts of CWOP actually serves other purposes than just CWOP. There is a donation link for FindU and it would be nice if you could donate and then become a premium member...but that option is not available.

Is a uBlock extension available for use on an iPad when using Safari?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 02:49:44 PM »

I don't believe that uBlock is available for iOS. But you can check out some others that I believe are similar that are available for iOS; AdGuard, AdBlock Plus, AdBlock Pro, 1Blocker, Ka-Block, Wipr. I'm not endorsing any of these. I just know about them...I'm not an everyday iOS user. There are also some alternative browsers for iOS devices that have built in ad blocking if you are willing to stop using Safari.

But again I'd like to stress the benefits of taking the network approach with Pi-hole as a better option.
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 03:51:06 PM »

I don't believe that uBlock is available for iOS. But you can check out some others that I believe are similar that are available for iOS; AdGuard, AdBlock Plus, AdBlock Pro, 1Blocker, Ka-Block, Wipr. I'm not endorsing any of these. I just know about them...I'm not an everyday iOS user. There are also some alternative browsers for iOS devices that have built in ad blocking if you are willing to stop using Safari.

But again I'd like to stress the benefits of taking the network approach with Pi-hole as a better option.

I googled Pi-hole and it sounds too difficult for me when using a wifi router. I guess I will just live with the annoying ads. Thanks for the suggestion, as always.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 05:46:29 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 05:58:33 PM »
For the implementation of Pi-hole you keep your WiFi router doing its thing. Pi-hole works out better if you dedicate a system to it like a Raspberry Pi rather than running it in your router. If you already have a Raspberry Pi, maybe it can also take on the task of running the Pi-hole software. Just depends on what function your Raspberry Pi is currently doing. If you don't have a Raspberry Pi it might be fun and interesting to learn to do more things with one. Your Raspberry Pi for example could run Cumulus MX and WeeWX and Weather-Display all at the same time along with the Pi-hole software...it's powerful enough. If you are so inclined to take the first step I'm sure I and many us could walk you through the process. After all, we all know how to eat an elephant. And you don't have to go at it alone.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 06:01:47 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 06:14:55 PM »
For the implementation of Pi-hole you keep your WiFi router doing its thing. Pi-hole works out better if you dedicate a system to it like a Raspberry Pi rather than running it in your router. If you already have a Raspberry Pi, maybe it can also take on the task of running the Pi-hole software. Just depends on what function your Raspberry Pi is currently doing. If you don't have a Raspberry Pi it might be fun and interesting to learn to do more things with one. Your Raspberry Pi for example could run Cumulus MX and WeeWX and Weather-Display all at the same time along with the Pi-hole software...it's powerful enough. If you are so inclined to take the first step I'm sure I and many us could walk you through the process. After all, we all know how to eat an elephant. And you don't have to go at it alone.

I don’t have a Raspberry Pi, but if life gets boring I may tackle the project. I successfully set up WiFilogger 1 and WiFilogger 2—and hopefully soon arriving ethernet WiFilogger. If I can get the latter to work with my Weatherlink software, I may take you up on your offer, George.  When you are a retired CPA like me, you need to pick your battles you think you can win. I may just keep watering my elephant ears (see photo attached) each morning and watch them grow, then typically call it a day!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 06:14:02 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 10:11:24 PM »
Sounds good.
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 06:55:14 AM »
Quote from: WheatonRon link=topic=42260.msg431619#msg431619
...ethernet WiFilogger. If I can get the latter to work with my Weatherlink software, ...

I've used the Ethernet Loger with WeatherLink software. Simple like Mike. Fine with Weather Display and WeeWx too. Also uploading to Weather Link Bulliten.

I find the trick is to follow a setup guide and be methodical about it setting up.the softwares. All the steps or it doesn't work lol.

anything