Author Topic: Davis VP2 Mounting Pole Recommendations  (Read 821 times)

Offline WeatherWithYou

Davis VP2 Mounting Pole Recommendations
« on: December 24, 2021, 05:06:08 PM »
I've had a couple VP2s for a long time, but am moving and adding a new one. I have an opportunity in the new location to put the station far enough away from trees and structures to get a good siting. My thought was to use a pole of some sort. Davis Support said they recommend a pole 1 to 1 3/4" in diameter. It's somewhat hard to find a pole in the 20-30' height that is thinner than 2".

Has anyone come up with a good flag pole or the like that they have been happy with that still worked with a VP2 and its U bolts?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Davis VP2 Mounting Pole Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 05:32:34 PM »
At 20-30 feet one needs a pole a lot bigger than even 2" to be stable without a whole heap of guy wires which are a pain in the but. You also need to consider regular access so the trade off becomes a little less height v access v stability. Typically you are going to need some form of step down or adapter if you intend using the standard Davis clamps/Ubolts

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 08:08:50 AM »
Try some of the Amateur Radio (Ham) supplier web sites, such as DX Engineering or Ham Radio Outlet. They have a selection of masts and towers.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Jim_49

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 08:25:37 AM »
I'm going to use a telescoping flag pole from Tele-Pole.  It's 25' long but will be buried 18" in the ground in concrete which will yield 23.5' AGL.  Not the ideal of 10 meters but it is close.  The pole has 5 sections, the bottom section being 3.5" and the top section being 2".  The anemometer will mount to it.  This will allow me to service the anemometer.  I'm going to use 1.5" rigid aluminum conduit for the sensor suite, also buried in 18" of concrete.  The OD of the conduit is approximately 2".  I'm going to use an old satellite tv antenna mount which will give me 2-axis movement to level the rain collector.  I've had the materials laying around waiting for my son and son-in-law to help me auger the 12" holes.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 02:18:42 PM »
Others on this forum have used the Tele-Pole successfully.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 10:34:05 PM »
I use a telescopic mast, it is steel guyed 2x3, and i believe its 45mm (1.77'') at the top, i did check to see what it was like preguyed in 45mph gusts and it wouldnt have been suitable for wind let alone a rain bucket, since guying it, its sound, i reckon i could get away with the bucket at 10m if i felt so inclined :) Defo look at amateur radio masts, but to do it non-guyed and have stability at 10m (33ft) i would look at the more expensive tilt/telescoping lattice masts, normally plenty of second user ones about...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 10:43:35 PM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 02:01:13 AM »
But ..... why would one want to install the rain bucket with the anemometer on a 10m mast even if stable?

Out of the two options 1) 30 feet or 2) say 8 feet, if the anemometer and rain bucket were to be mounted together then the lower height gets the nod but then that's why the anemometer has 40 feet of cable, so as to separate 

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 08:35:53 AM »
I found many ideas for mounting here on the forum. I finally settled on a strong base with 22ft galvanized steel pipe mast. ISS is mounted about 5 feet, anemometer is at 20 feet. Mast can be lowered.

Here is a photo:

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 12:03:30 PM »
Currently have an anemometer at 5.2 meters. 3 meter steel pole buried almost 1 meter in the ground in concrete, with a 3 meter aluminum pole attached on top. All 6 cm in diameter. Can’t imagine it being much over 6-7 meters without guy wires to stabilize it. Have been thinking about that option for quite some time. 😎
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Apogee Instruments TS-100
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink
Wemos D1 Mini micro controllers
https://blog.meteodrenthe.nl
https://meteodrenthe.nl
https://twitter.com/meteodrenthe

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 01:07:34 PM »
But ..... why would one want to install the rain bucket with the anemometer on a 10m mast even if stable?

Im not sure anyone has said that that is what they will do, Ive seen vp complete setups up high and cannot understand why they would, there is no reason for a bucket to be up top and certainly not the temp, that should be at about 4ft is it? Mines is a bit higher due to location and I had to place it away fron the roof what with radient heat, but here is how mine acted in a 45moh gust without the guys

https://youtu.be/_iqCeS-DwHc
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline rpegg

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 09:40:47 AM »

here is how mine acted in a 45moh gust without the guys

Wow.  Guessing the guy wires went up soon there after.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 09:41:55 AM »
Yeah, I was just waiting in them to arrive.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 03:07:50 PM »
I'm going to use a telescoping flag pole from Tele-Pole.  It's 25' long but will be buried 18" in the ground in concrete which will yield 23.5' AGL.  Not the ideal of 10 meters but it is close.  The pole has 5 sections, the bottom section being 3.5" and the top section being 2".  The anemometer will mount to it.  This will allow me to service the anemometer.  I'm going to use 1.5" rigid aluminum conduit for the sensor suite, also buried in 18" of concrete.  The OD of the conduit is approximately 2".  I'm going to use an old satellite tv antenna mount which will give me 2-axis movement to level the rain collector.  I've had the materials laying around waiting for my son and son-in-law to help me auger the 12" holes.

I bought this same brand flagpole about eight years ago when I first sited my VP2; it has performed perfectly ever since.  I think the one I got was trade off between standard height and price so I went with the 20 foot version.  Arrived within about five business days, used QuikKrete to set it up and plumbed it and has been upright through Oklahoma seasons ever since.  It's well built and durable for sure.  What I appreciated the most was the ability to haul the thing down if needed without having to be too acrobatic.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 03:09:36 PM »

Im not sure anyone has said that that is what they will do, Ive seen vp complete setups up high and cannot understand why they would, there is no reason for a bucket to be up top and certainly not the temp, that should be at about 4ft is it? Mines is a bit higher due to location and I had to place it away fron the roof what with radient heat, but here is how mine acted in a 45moh gust without the guys

https://youtu.be/_iqCeS-DwHc

The twenty foot version I have of that will move some in high winds, but nothing like that.  I'm glad I didn't opt for the taller version; my yard really doesn't have enough room to guy wire it properly I don't think.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I