Author Topic: ImageSalsa FTP problems  (Read 23835 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: ImageSalsa FTP problems
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 04:46:59 PM »
It's too bad you're having problems with IS.  Everything I do works fine.  I create an image of the VP2 console and overlay current wx data on the image.  I save the file in my root folder and upload it with VWS every minute.
http://www.lexingtonwx.com/assets/images/VP2console.jpg  My site isn't using the image now but it's there.
This morning I decided to take picture's of construction on my street.  I used my webcam and IS to take 1 minute fixed snapshots and file them.  Also I was pushing them to http://www.lexingtonwx.com/assets/images/webcam.jpg
ImageSalsa is a beautiful program and it works fine for me.
(sorry, as soon as I sent the above, I took that computer off line to do some archiving.  It'll be back soon.)
Al
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:03:07 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
I save the file in my root folder and upload it with VWS every minute.
so you are not actually using IS to upload the web cam image?

as that is what is not working for johnah
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »
I have IS on 3 computers.  This image is uploaded via ftp push every minute http://www.lexingtonwx.com/assets/images/webcam.jpg
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »
ok, it was just a bit confusing

maybe the problem for johnah is that maybe its a problem with his FTP host...i.e they do not allow FTP push or similar
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
I'm having some problems with VWS running on an old computer.  It's hectic here now.
I'm now doing the console as a fixed save to the VWS root folder and also I'm ftp pushing the console image to http://www.lexingtonwx.com/assets/images/console.jpg
When I set this up, Windows firewall blocked the upload.  I clicked on 'unblock' on the Windows firewall window.  Then IS uploaded via ftp push.
So   It may be Windows firewall that is blocking your ftp push.

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »
ImageSalsa is a beautiful program and it works fine for me.
(sorry, as soon as I sent the above, I took that computer off line to do some archiving.  It'll be back soon.)
Al
I like ImageSalsa, and with the number of people using it successfully I realize the problem is somewhere in my setup. That is what is so frustrating.

maybe the problem for johnah is that maybe its a problem with his FTP host...i.e they do not allow FTP push or similar
Does anyone know if there is a difference in what IS calls FTP push and the FTP  used by filezilla and Weather Display?  Both filezilla and WD work fine with my setup.

So   It may be Windows firewall that is blocking your ftp push.
I turned Windows firewall off completely and it made no difference.

why not use WD's webcamcapture program to use the IS created image, put a time stamp on it, and get WD to ftp upload the file (via the webcam upload)
I believe I will try Brian's suggestion and use WD to upload the IS image.
I appreciate the help.
John

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
I am no expert but there could be a difference to how your ISP views FTP push to regular FTP
the FTP webcam upload in WD is in the FTP/Internet setup
you can use the "3rd party web cam setup " in WD to add a time stamp (and other info) to the image, and get a new image updated with that info
or use the separate wdwebcamcapture and set the source as a static file name, set the overlay etc and set that program to create a new file name which WD uploads
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »
This is ftp push using ftp.mysiteneme.com; mode=Put Temp, Del Orig, Rename.  Directory /assets/images/console.jpg
http://www.lexingtonwx.com/assets/images/console.jpg
When I set it up yesterday, Windows Firewall blocked ftp push.  I checked 'unblock' and now it works.
I had computer problems yesterday.  Was ready to retire/bury my old one.  It recovered and just keeps on keeping on.

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
This is ftp push using ftp.mysiteneme.com; mode=Put Temp, Del Orig, Rename.  Directory /assets/images/console.jpg
When I set it up yesterday, Windows Firewall blocked ftp push.  I checked 'unblock' and now it works.
I had computer problems yesterday.  Was ready to retire/bury my old one.  It recovered and just keeps on keeping on.

Thanks Al,
I am going to keep working on this, but for now I will use WD to get the fixed jpg to my site.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »
what is the URL to your web cam image?
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 11:31:31 AM »
I haven't got everything worked out yet but I will post the url when I do.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 12:24:05 PM »

Thanks Al,
I am going to keep working on this, but for now I will use WD to get the fixed jpg to my site.
Do you wish to try an ftp push to one of my sites?  Or I can try to get ImageSalsa to ftp push to your site.

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »

Thanks Al,
Do you wish to try an ftp push to one of my sites?  Or I can try to get ImageSalsa to ftp push to your site.

I am going to take you up on your offer.  I will PM you the ftp info for my site.  This will help me narrow the problem down, if you can ftp push to my site I know the problem is on my end.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »
For everyone's amazement and my bewilderment; my IS ftp push no longer works as it did before this test.  All my indications were exactly as he described his experiences.
Now I can't ftp push a webcam image to my site either.  I've duplicated his original problem on my computer/site.
Oh well, we'll fix it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:30:10 PM by wxtech »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 01:49:17 PM »
which is why I was thinking its the web host not allowing that type of FTP or similar
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »
Well, mine is working again.  I was using the wrong name for the directory & file on the server.  Now I'm using the ftp push function of ImageSalsa every 30 seconds:
http://www.lexingtonwx.com/assets/images/webcam.jpg
My Settings are:
FTP Push Enabled
Passive FTP Mode
Put Temp, Del Orig, Rename
Server Name: ftp.lexingtonwx.com
FTP Directory/File Name:  /assets/images/webcam.jpg
Note: the webcam image test is temporary and will stop 1 Nov sometime tonight.

So, since I duplicated your problem and mine didn't work either.  It must be that your directory/file name are wrong.  As was mine until I corrected it.
Al
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:01:51 PM by wxtech »

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »
Al, were you able to push an image to my site?

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
I believe I know what happening now, but knowing has not solved the problem.  After Al (wxtech) was unable to ftp push to my site but had no problem pushing to his I started thinking the problem may be with my host.

I set up ImageSalsa to ftp push an image to Weather Underground and it worked great so my computer and network don't seem to be the problem.

My website is hosted with GoDaddy and I have the Linux/4GH plan. I called GoDaddy support and they could not find any reason it should not work since my other ftp programs are working.  The only explanation they offered was that possibly ImageSalas's ftp was not compatible with the newest version of Apache web server they are using with the 4GH plan.

I'm not an expert in ftp so I don't know if that's possible or not.  I do remember right after I upgraded to the 4GH plan the version of Filezilla I was using stopped working. When I called GoDaddy support they told me to upgrade to the latest version Filezilla, when I did everything started working again.

If it turns out that the problem is with IS's ftp compatibility with newer versions of Apache web server I guess the only solution is for Jason to update that part of the program.  I submitted a support request yesterday on the website but have not heard anything.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this, especially Al. I like ImageSalsa and will continue to use it.
John

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
It is very possible that PureFTP, used in IS, does not play nice with Apache.  Could be the logging, could be kernal incompatibility or something else.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
After Al (wxtech) was unable to ftp push to my site but had no problem pushing to his I started thinking the problem may be with my host.
I have been trying to tell you that....
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »
After Al (wxtech) was unable to ftp push to my site but had no problem pushing to his I started thinking the problem may be with my host.

Al and I both use GoDaddy for hosting, the only difference is I have the 4GH plan.  It wasn't until Al told me he could push to his site but not mine that I realized that it wasn't necessarily the host but the plan I was using. The fact that we were both using GoDaddy was what made it hard for me to understand. I appreciate your input Brian.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
stranger things have happened....
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »

Al and I both use GoDaddy for hosting, the only difference is I have the 4GH plan.  It wasn't until Al told me he could push to his site but not mine that I realized that it wasn't necessarily the host but the plan I was using. The fact that we were both using GoDaddy was what made it hard for me to understand. I appreciate your input Brian.

John, you might want to try contacting Godaddy and ask them if they will move you over to a standard (non 4GH) plan. 
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »

John, you might want to try contacting Godaddy and ask them if they will move you over to a standard (non 4GH) plan. 

Larry, I started with their standard plan and had problems with several of the pages on my site not loading properly. I was not using ImageSalsa at the time. When I upgraded to the 4GH plan the problems with my pages stopped.

I have not heard anything from Jason at ImageSalsa, it would be nice if he would update the program so the ftp push would work with some of the newer web servers.  If not I will use it as is.
John

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
I wish I had seen this topic earlier, I have wasted a lot of time trying to get IS to ftp to different servers,.

Does anyone know if saving a fixed jpg in IS and using another ftp program to upload it to my site every couple of minutes would accomplish the same thing as using FTPPush?

I do this by saving to the vws jpeg folder, and VWS uploads the picture every 10 mins.

David

anything