Author Topic: Download WiFiLogger data to computer on a remote connection?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline OlyWater

Download WiFiLogger data to computer on a remote connection?
« on: September 08, 2022, 04:03:05 AM »
I have a VP2 console with a WiFiLogger2 installed for uploading to CWOP and downloading to WeatherLink 6.0.5 running on my Windows 10 laptop. I've got the update period for the WeatherLink logging set at 5 minutes. It looks like this will provide about 5 days of data logging before the WiFiLogger2 memory overflows.

I will be traveling and away from my home network for several weeks, carrying the laptop with WeatherLink on it with me. I would like to set up my home network and WeatherLink to allow access to the WiFiLogger across the internet, so that I can download the logged records into WeatherLink from a connection outside of my network before a memory overflow occurs.

What I'm hoping to do doesn't involve remote access to the PC, since the PC isn't going to be on the home network while I'm traveling. Rather it requires remote access into my home network and to the port for the WiFiLogger2.

Has anyone in the forum set up their network and communications in WeatherLink 6.0.5 to accomplish this?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Download WiFiLogger data to computer on a remote connection?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 10:29:12 AM »

Hi,
I've got the update period for the WeatherLink logging set at 5 minutes. It looks like this will provide about 5 days of data logging before the WiFiLogger2 memory overflows.
Not questioning it, but just asking are you sure it is only 5 days?
I haven't had to do a longer than a day or so catch up from my WiFiLogger so don't actually know.  But I will find out as my main weather PC is down to be fixed and looks like it may be up to 14 days.  Fortunately WiFiLogger continues to upload to WL.com and the other weather sites.

Why I ask about the 5-day storage is that on another PC I have an Envoy with USB logger that feeds Weatherlink PC 6.0.5 and at 5-minute interval it has 17 days of data.  I thought the IP logger was the same, but could be wrong.

Enjoy,
Paul 

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 11:37:04 AM »
All loggers have 2560 "slots", so 2560 * 5 mins = 8 .8 days
Mark

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 03:41:28 PM »
1 minute- 42 hours
5 minutes- 8 days
10 minutes- 17 days
15 minutes - 26 days
30 minutes - 53 days
60 minutes - 106 days
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:43:11 PM by ocala »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 04:54:10 PM »
Even if 8 days it's still going to come up short. One way would be to extend the archive interval, another and I'm unsure if WiFiLogger supports this would be to configure and upload to WeatherLink.com? I would expect WiFiLogger should be able to do this but maybe a WiFiLogger user might confirm.

A remote connection from WeatherLink on a remote laptop to an IP based logger in a VP2 console is doable but the key thing is having a public facing IP which not all ISP's may provide? With a public facing IP then it's fairly simple to setup port forwarding on the router and use DNS.

By far the easiest solution would be to use a basic free WeatherLink.com account and have the VP2 uploading to that from which the laptop can then download from as well as providing a near real time web page and other remote access means       

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 05:29:01 PM »
Oops, I got confused.  I have Vue console with WiFiLoger at 5 mnute interval and my Envoy with USB Logger at 10 mintes and it is this USB logger that has 17 days before rollover.  I know because I manually start Weatjerlink PC twice a month to catch up the daya, and I have missed doing that a couple of times and then checking the WL PC logged data shows anything older than 17 days is not logged. 

@Mattk, yes WiFiLogger does upload to WL.com but with  setting as type Weatherlink PC.

Enjoy,
Paul

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 04:25:52 AM »
By far the easiest solution would be to use a basic free WeatherLink.com account and have the VP2 uploading to that from which the laptop can then download from as well as providing a near real time web page and other remote access means     

Yes, definitely agree. Of course you do need a reliable Internet connection for this approach to work well, but let's assume that's possible. Then WFL can be set to upload data to wl.com emulating how a Weatherlink for Windows (WLfW) software upload will work. You do need to get the (free) credentials for a new WLfW station from wl.com before setting up the WFL logger for uploads.

Downoads from wl.com to local WLfW via the Wed Download option are always faster and more robust than local downloads direct from the logger, strange though it may sound.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline OlyWater

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 06:05:20 PM »
I set up the automatic upload from the WiFiLogger to WL.com before going on the road, and it seems to be working fine; I'm able to download my data from WL.com to WLfW. Initially it looked like I had a multi-hour gap in the data stream, but that seems to have gotten filled in during subsequent downloads to my laptop.

Downoads from wl.com to local WLfW via the Wed Download option are always faster and more robust than local downloads direct from the logger, strange though it may sound.

And I concur with johnd that the downloads are faster from WL.com than direct from the logger to the laptop aross the home network, even when using my cellphone as a wifi hotspot for the laptop to access the internet.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 06:18:54 PM »
Typically with a Davis WLIP the upload archive data occurs every hour hence the download can be up to an hour behind (as such). The WL.com bulletin or summary pages and any URL links to Embedded or Summary page/s will be near real time and typically within 1 minute or so
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:28:22 PM by Mattk »

anything