Author Topic: Netatmo Weather Stations do not appear on WeatherUnderground anymore  (Read 6619 times)

Offline Depotseeli

• SwissShops.ch

Netatmo Weather Stations do not appear on WeatherUnderground anymore.

Answer of Netatmo:
Netatmo systems are fully operational however Weather Underground stopped displaying Netatmo measurements. We regret any inconvenience this causes to your experience.

Will there be a fix from WeatherUnderground?
Depotseeli Weather Station - http://www.depotseeli.ch

Offline Depotseeli

• SwissShops.ch
Re: Netatmo Weather Stations do not appear on WeatherUnderground anymore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 06:05:22 PM »
Found the following answer of WeatherUnderground
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in and expressing your disappointment with your PWS no longer showing up on WU.

Weather Underground & Netatmo are presently working out the details of a new partnership arrangement.
In the interim, WU has stopped automatically displaying Netatmo data.

You may wish to contact Netatmo and express that you’d like to continue to have your station shown on WU!

Regards,
The WU Team
Depotseeli Weather Station - http://www.depotseeli.ch

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 08:31:18 PM »
Wow that is interesting. Who is next to get kicked off, Ambient Weather? LaCrosse? Oregon Scientific?

Does WU think Netamo data sux? Or is it strong arm business extortion? Do other manufacturers have to pay to have their stations show up?

There has to be more to this story.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:35:49 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »
Okay I found what may be the biggest difference between Netamo and other manufacturers. Most other weather station manufacturers design their products to directly connect to WU. The station owner needs to go through the process of creating their WU account and station details setup, and then get their ID and password to upload direct.

But Netamo goes about it totally different. They don't have their customers directly deal with WU. Instead Netamo users only create Netamo accounts. I read the following in an Amazon review of Netamo hardware.

In the "Best case scenario" your data is meant to magically show up at Weather Underground after an unknown delay, and then you can email WU and ask them to associate the station with your account. The Netatmo forums show that this is hit or miss at best. It is complicated by many Netatmo users installing the temperature sensor in direct sunlight and generating bad data which must be filtered out.

Seems like Netamo designed their product with some setup simplicity for their customers. But that required special arrangements with WU.

Phew! I was worried about other manufacturers there for a moment. Sux for Netamo customers.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:10:18 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 09:07:19 PM »
They need a aspiration fan.
No, a fan is meant for aspirating a radiation shield, which this has none. It's not meant to be directly in the sun as offered, unless you shield it yourself.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:54:21 PM »
Almost all of the Netamo stations were added automatically when purchased and WU had some kind of marketing agreement with them that undoubtedly kicked back some cash for each one sold.  There once was a "purchase link" on the WU site.  The whole thing stunk to high heaven.  The things were wildly inaccurate when compared to others in their area.

Good riddance.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 08:21:10 PM »
I agree they were definitely not accurate. They were also incomplete as weather stations. Few people added the rain gauge and almost nobody added the anemometer. When I browsed the Wundermap looking at weather data an I clicked on a station to get more details only to then be surprised that there was no wind data or no rain data. I was always like, "Darn, another Netamo!" And I'd check and sure enough it was a Netamo. These suckers aren't cheap either. To get a complete weather station (with rain and wind) would be like $360. For that kind of money I would have expected a radiation shield. But you'd be probably better off with a Davis Vue for that kind of money.
They had a neat look...I've give them that. But things need to work not just look cool.

Tele-Pole

Offline joegr

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 05:28:17 PM »
The one near me was always way over temp during the daytime.  It too had no wind or rain data.  It's not a loss at all.

Offline mwdev

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
I use MeteowarePlus to send my weather data to WU. This service act like a bridge between Netatmo and Wunderground.
http://plus.meteoware.com

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 02:24:02 PM »
I use MeteowarePlus to send my weather data to WU. This service act like a bridge between Netatmo and Wunderground.

Oh noooo! I was so happy, I thought we got rid of Netatmo. You had to go and let people know that there is a back door. Sheez what are we going to do with you.

Just kidding. Glad to know your Netamo is serving you well.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Please Netamo users, stop putting your temperature sensors in direct sun. Keep them in the shade!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:12:19 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Ollie256

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »

Oh noooo! I was so happy, I thought we got rid of Netamo. You had to go and let people know that there is a back door. Sheez what are we going to do with you.

Just kidding. Glad to know your Netamo is serving you well.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Please Netamo users, stop putting your temperature sensors in direct sun. Keep them in the shade!

I have a netatmo station with a radiation shield.  Will this be okay to use with Weather Underground?  The reading can occasionally be too high compared to offical stations.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 03:50:44 PM »
Well if you are still getting high temperatures even with a radiation shield, then perhaps also keep it in the shade or get a better radiation shield. Look up Stevenson Screen. Maybe that is something you can build or buy. Or rig up a fan with the shield (called FARS).

As for if it is still okay to use, well that is up to you. It is your data and mostly for your use. Keep it if your are happy or replace it with something better if that is what you want to do.

We may still curse Netatmo stations regardless, but ultimately everyone has free will.

I just realized that I've been spelling Netatmo wrong for a long time. Heh.. Learn something every day.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:55:24 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline westhillman

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 09:23:03 AM »
Netatmo may not be too interested in rejoining Wundermap, because they have their own map for displaying data. It is at https://weathermap.netatmo.com, and compared to the current poor state of development of Wundermap it actually works ok.  At least all the data on it should be more or less comparable !

Offline Ollie256

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »
Well if you are still getting high temperatures even with a radiation shield, then perhaps also keep it in the shade or get a better radiation shield. Look up Stevenson Screen. Maybe that is something you can build or buy. Or rig up a fan with the shield (called FARS).

As for if it is still okay to use, well that is up to you. It is your data and mostly for your use. Keep it if your are happy or replace it with something better if that is what you want to do.

We may still curse Netatmo stations regardless, but ultimately everyone has free will.

I just realized that I've been spelling Netatmo wrong for a long time. Heh.. Learn something every day.

Thanks for your response.  Took your advice and now readings are within 0.2C off the values recorded by a local official weather station so I'm happy with that!

Offline WheelinDealin

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 04:32:46 PM »
I for one am happy about this. The Netatmo stations that used to broadcast on WU in my area were all wildly inaccurate. It defeats the purpose of WU if inaccurate stations are allowed to broadcast bad data. There needs to be at least some quality control.

anything