Author Topic: Station up and running  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Promoore

Station up and running
« on: April 13, 2019, 12:35:33 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:50:47 PM by Promoore »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Station up and running
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 01:03:34 PM »
Good job. How level is the bubble indicator on your station sensor array? I have a flag pole I need to install and I'm too chicken to do it myself and I don't trust anyone else to do it. So I've delayed doing the concrete work. I just don't want to mess it up. I need to do this.

I did just recently get one of these post levels at Lowes for $5. So I think I should be okay:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:05:19 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 01:44:26 PM »
Nice job Promoore!

Galfert,
Does your flag pole assemble in 5 ft slip on sections? That's the way mine is. It is very lightweight, and I just slip 3 sections together, lift it up and drop it onto the base section. I used some cinder block to hold mine down at the base... I didn't dig into the ground. Really when I put it up I wanted to test the location for wind velocity, and it is way better than where I had always installed my stations before closer to the house.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:47:11 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 02:14:07 PM »
DoctorKnow,
My telescoping flag pole doesn't come apart. Well at least not easily that I can tell. I think they put in some protection so that it isn't supposed to come apart. But that said it does come with a bottom removable sleeve. It is the sleeve that goes in the concrete obviously. You are only supposed to leave an inch of sleeve protruding from the concrete. That doesn't leave much to level with. So I would have to have the entire flag pole inserted (but collapsed) while leveling with the still wet concrete. So how do you hold it in place level and for how long do I need to hold it? Arrrrh! Just makes my head hurt with stress. Probably doesn't help that I've never worked with concrete before.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Promoore

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 02:15:01 PM »
I used two Magnetic levels like this on the rigid pipe to get it level.  I also used the flange to fine tune the bubble. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 02:56:19 PM »
So how do you hold it in place level and for how long do I need to hold it? Arrrrh! Just makes my head hurt with stress. Probably doesn't help that I've never worked with concrete before.

I would let the concrete set overnight as a minimum...and mix it well before pouring into the hole.  If you have never worked in the family business making concrete boots, :lol: you can always mix up a small practice batch and fill a kid's beach pail to see the consistency and how long it takes to dry.  I used to have a plastic sand castle starfish mold, and would throw the scraps of wet concrete from the wheelbarrow into it for fun when I was cleaning up.

If you really want to over-think the install, put 4 stakes in the ground and use guy ropes or cables to tweak the final alignment and hold it vertical until the concrete sets.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 02:57:03 PM »
So I would have to have the entire flag pole inserted (but collapsed) while leveling with the still wet concrete. So how do you hold it in place level and for how long do I need to hold it? Arrrrh! Just makes my head hurt with stress. Probably doesn't help that I've never worked with concrete before.

Much easier than you think. Just make sure you have all you need before you start & weather is clear long enough for the mix to cure once it is poured.
  • Dig hole with a POSTHOLE digger - rent or borrow if you do not have one.
  • Put the gravel in bottom per instructions
  • Insert the sleeve in the hole with pole inserted and extended at least 6-8 feet above ground. Attach your level to the pole at eye level. Wrap the sleeve & pole joint & up the pole at least 2 feet with plastic and tape to protect the pole and the set screw.
  • Use 2 or 3 braces attached to pole above the level to adjust  the pole for plum. I have used 12 foot lengths of 1" PVC for this since they are cheap & I always find another use for them later. The easy way to do this is cut each end of the PVC on a slant. Duct Tape one end to the pole close to your level and SECURE the other end in the ground. I have used rocks, concrete blocks, tent pegs or anything else handy. This is the critical part - when you have the pole plum MAKE SURE THE BRACES WILL NOT MOVE & you  will not trip on them.
  • Mix your concrete
  • Check that your pole is still plum. Pour the concrete in the hole.
  • Let it cure before you disassemble the braces. Cure time will vary based upon the weather - but you have waited weeks already -- so give it at least 2 days  :grin:

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »
Nice setup. Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm envious of the location away from trees and such.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
I used two Magnetic levels like this on the rigid pipe to get it level.  I also used the flange to fine tune the bubble. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Using the flange to fine tune was a great idea. In the absence of having some method of fine tuning I would use the longest level I owned and I would carefully check to make sure it was accurate.

anything