Author Topic: Boltek antenna alignment  (Read 3803 times)

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Boltek antenna alignment
« on: July 27, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »
Curious question for all you boltek users -

How did you line up/align your antenna? Tools, devices, etc. What gives you the best alignment?

Thanks!

Jim

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Boltek antenna alignment
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
I installed mine in a PVC pipe fitting bubble, and inscribed a N/S line on the top with a hack saw. Then I looked at a topo map and plotted a N/S line in it through our house and found the farthest landmark away that was directly in line ( a mountain top over 8 miles away).

When I installed the antenna, I got up on the roof and aimed the scribed line directly at the mountain top.

Could also have drilled holes at the ends of the line and installed plastic sight pins to help line it up.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »
Keep in mind that if you use a compass, you'll need to allow for magnetic declination for where ever you are. The antenna should be aimed at true north.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
My house/street is aligned almost perfectly compass north, which helps as the rafters it is attached to (if square) makes a good starting point.  I admit when I first installed it I just tried to get it as close to compass north as possible... it was -15 up there, very dark and trying to balance in the rafters with several tools, levels, etc.  I was going to make any adjustments necesary with the softare till warmer weather came.  I did not though

I used the declination charts to get my offset. Then I also walk up and down my street with my garmin nuvi, and used that bearing to offset to the compass.  It was pretty close, maybe a degree diff, so took the average.

When I finally went back up to the attic, I did not end up making any changes as it appear to be off by the degrees I measured.  not sure if it moved or what.

Since then I have tracked somewhat distant storms on radar and other sources, and compared to other strikestar sites around, to see if groupings are close.  I use weathergirl's site, and some other around lake ontario.  I think I am pretty "aligned" now

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
Hey Jim,
Well, the first thing to do is read the instructions. Oh, you didn't get any instructions either. Oh well. Several years ago when I put up my first satellite dish I used my trusty compass, read the instructions, and had an excellent signal first try. To install my Boltek I drilled a small hole in the PVS mast, close to the "Bubble", installed a 12" long red plastic dowel before installing the antenna which was perpendicular to the dowel. Installed the mast and rotated so that the antenna was lined true North, accounting for magnetic declination. Checked out the computer and the alignment needed to be "adjusted" 10 degrees with software. If I had to do it over I'd just throw the sucker up there and adjust the software to the real world.
FWIW
George

For your location, http://www.strikestarus.com/index.aspx?id=40, is all you need.