Author Topic: recent strikes--people hit  (Read 9333 times)

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
recent strikes--people hit
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16939988/detail.html

We should put lightning rods and surge protectors on trees... yeah, I know, not really that funny...

A few weeks ago: http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20080708/ARTICLE/807080353

Now that's really messed up, it's not like they were under the tallest tree in the area (Boston story), but under a house...

Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

jwyman

Re: recent strikes--people hit
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »
Never, Never, Never, under trees! And in the second story, one man stated shorter trees can offer some protection.... Uh #-o  #-o  #-o

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
If I recall, they were saying go for a shorter tree assuming there are taller trees in the immediate area...
Marc
Wilmington, NC

jwyman

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »
THAT's a huge assumption. Lightning is so unpredictable...

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:32:35 PM »
Yep...

I've become much more serious of late respecting lightning... when I hear thunder, I go indoors...
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »
Never, Never, Never, under trees! And in the second story, one man stated shorter trees can offer some protection.... Uh #-o  #-o  #-o

Which results in a good cleaning of the gene pool.  ](*,) =D>
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »
The Darwin effect...
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline Hedgeley

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:14:18 PM »
Hi Guys,

Yep, I'm another lightning survivor.  I was at a dog show in a valley surrounded by mountains/volcanoes when it started to rain.  I had my six-month old pup in for best pup in show - her first show against adult dogs.  Just as I stood up to lift her to the judging table there was the most amazing "whack" and burning sensation followed by that singed hair smell.  Once I picked myself and the pup up from a combined foetal-position fest, I couldn't believe that all the folk watching were still just standing there.  I couldn't get through to them that they should clear the park in a hurry.  The pup survived (just) and I kept having massive muscle seizures for weeks - usually at really inconvenient times...

My husband phoned to see how the show went and poo-pooed the lightning strike story until it appeared on the news.  I grabbed my other dogs, flung them and myself in the car and got out of there ASAP.  When I left there were still folk standing on the park as they continued the show.  Some folk have *no* brains!

In retrospect, I should have gone got myself checked out.  My pup had scortch marks around her neck from her light chain.  An on-looker was holding an umbrella when the lightning hit and had the handle "welded" to the skin of her palm.  Most of the on-lookers got some form of shock but didn't fall to the ground.  I should have gone home and bought a lotto ticket...

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 05:31:58 AM »
So you got hit by lightning, had enough presence of mind to tell people to get the hell out, gathered your dogs, and drove away; and you can still remember details about the incident, and type and write in complete sentences.

I'm not sure I could manage all that after merely a close strike.  The first thing I probably would have done is looked for some clean underwear under a tree.  :roll:

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

Yep, I'm another lightning survivor.  I was at a dog show in a valley surrounded by mountains/volcanoes when it started to rain.  I had my six-month old pup in for best pup in show - her first show against adult dogs.  Just as I stood up to lift her to the judging table there was the most amazing "whack" and burning sensation followed by that singed hair smell.  Once I picked myself and the pup up from a combined foetal-position fest, I couldn't believe that all the folk watching were still just standing there.  I couldn't get through to them that they should clear the park in a hurry.  The pup survived (just) and I kept having massive muscle seizures for weeks - usually at really inconvenient times...

My husband phoned to see how the show went and poo-pooed the lightning strike story until it appeared on the news.  I grabbed my other dogs, flung them and myself in the car and got out of there ASAP.  When I left there were still folk standing on the park as they continued the show.  Some folk have *no* brains!

In retrospect, I should have gone got myself checked out.  My pup had scortch marks around her neck from her light chain.  An on-looker was holding an umbrella when the lightning hit and had the handle "welded" to the skin of her palm.  Most of the on-lookers got some form of shock but didn't fall to the ground.  I should have gone home and bought a lotto ticket...

When you said Some Folks Have"NO" brains that was an understatement!!
I have been zapped a time of two enough to gain my attention but nothing to the point of scorched hair!
Glad you survived and had the ability to talk about it!!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 02:40:34 PM »
 Alaska Airlines plane got nailed by a snow thunder strike  coming in for landing other day at Sitka.  This area seem to be  an attraction for ligthing and they have a  high percentage of there planes struck  coming in there. They once had 3 in one month hit and all winter strikes

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 06:09:59 PM »
Alaska Airlines plane got nailed by a snow thunder strike  coming in for landing other day at Sitka.  This area seem to be  an attraction for ligthing and they have a  high percentage of there planes struck  coming in there. They once had 3 in one month hit and all winter strikes

I have to believe the same thing when you said that area attracted lightning!
We had a radio site that was not all that great but it filled the nulls fairly well...but if there was as
much as a black cloud blew over that site it would produce a big lightning strike! It finally got to the point to where
it cost more to stay there than it was worth in performance :)  I don't know if the ground contained some sort of combination of elements
that caused that or what but I have been down town looking that direction during a storm and noted many cloud to ground strikes there.
The lightning was rough enough to take a 21 ' antenna and make it look like a broom about 4' tall!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline f86sabjf

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 06:26:26 PM »
I had  a strike about 50 ft from me in a parking lot. Now i watch from inside :shock:
acu-rite #825

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 02:18:53 PM »
I had  a strike about 50 ft from me in a parking lot. Now i watch from inside :shock:
Can't say that I blame you a bit ;)
Thats almost too close for comfort!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
i have had  a few close calls... one knocked me and my uncle over.. so i am MUCH more careful now!!!

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co