Author Topic: Advice how-to - switching from Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP to Davis VP2+  (Read 428 times)

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
This weekend I'll be switching my hardware from my old Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP to my new Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus.
Instead of the VP2 control panel I'll be using a Meteobridge Pro (Red) to talk to the VP2+.
I've never switched a live station before. My WS is currently only feeding Weather Underground.
Do any of you with more experience have advice for me on the best steps to take to make the change?
My current WS is mounted at the top of a 2" 10 ft metal pole positioned at the inside corner of my deck fastened with hose clamps.
I plan to put the anemometer at the top of the pole and everything else on the pole just above deck rail level.
I'm not sure what steps I'll be taking as I want to be off-line for as short a time as possible.
Any and all advice will be very much welcomed!
Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:22:02 PM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Advice how-to - switching from Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP to Davis VP2+
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 11:03:05 PM »
My advice is to keep both station running for a short while (a few days or more.... no rush).

Do not upload onto any online service until you are happy with the console data and station performance. This includes barometric calibration and sensor performance.

Test rain gauge that it registers tips manually.

Reset (delete) testing data from Meteobridge.
Be sure that Meteobridge is all configured for latitude and longitude, time zone, and elevation.

Set up a second WU ID. Upload from VP2 to this, 2nd WU ID for a short while. Make sure that the upload looks good. Because you can't delete bad data. Once satisfied then stop uploading from the old WS-1400-IP and then begin uploading with the Meteobridge to WU onto your original WU ID.

Then you can begin to use the load to other online services if desired.

You can then delete the 2nd WU ID.

You can then remove old station hardware.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:31:49 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 03:00:36 PM »
Thank you for the thoughtful reply, galfert!

I hadn't thought about running both stations side-by-side concurrently for a while to test everything! That's an absolutely great idea and I will do just that. My Meteobridge Pro will be here tomorrow and I can start practicing setting it up. Since both stations will be transmitting wirelessly and the Meteobridge should be able to see them both it will be interesting to see how they are kept separate. Any advice/experience there?

My Vantage Pro2 Plus just shipped via UPS this afternoon and with the short distance between NJ and GA it should be here for this weekend.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 06:06:29 PM »
The Meteobridge will not be able to see the WS-1400-WiFi sensors on its own. It can only be used to pick up Davis sensors directly (unless you have extra hardware).

But if you had an Ecowitt GW1000, that can via RF pick up the WS-1400-WiFi sensors (it doesn't talk to the display console... it just picks up sensor RF data from Fine Offset clones) then the Meteobridge would be able to see both sensor sets...the Davis ones directly via RF and the WS-1400-WiFi sensors via the GW1000 on the WiFi network.

The Meteobridge in that case would only see one or the other set of sensors at any given time. You basically would configure the Station type for it to either pickup Davis sensors or the sensors from the GW1000.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:08:42 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 06:49:13 PM »
Got it! Thanks!
That makes having two systems running at the same time simple for setting things up.

The Weatherbridge Pro / Meteobridge Pro will be delivered by UPS tomorrow.

Since I won't have my Davis VP2+ yet, what do you advise I do?
I'm thinking for starters I'll fire it up and see if there are any software/firmware updates.
It looks like one of the screens will give me it's IP address and it should connect with my WiFi.
Once connected I should be able to use my browser to look through the menu system and get familiar with it.
I was disappointed not to find any PDF docs for it.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
No PDF but unnecessary when you have an online wiki:
https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started

Yes you can set it up on your network, I would make a DHCP reservation for it on your router so that you can always find it, you can get software update. Enter time zone, Latitude/Longitude, set your elevation.

This is an old version that hasn't been updated but it gives you some idea of what the interface looks like.
http://config.meteobridge.com/
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 08:37:28 PM »
UPS My Choice now tells me that my Meteobridge Pro will be delivered tomorrow, Thursday Aug 6, and my VP2+ will be delivered on Friday Aug 7.
Such excitement. I'm very much looking forward to the next few days!  \:D/

I never did buy the console for my current Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP.
I went straight to the Ambient Weather IP30 device with my Browser to set it up and aim it at WU.
The console was definitely not needed and would never have been used.

As primitive as the Davis monochrome LCD console looks I'm turned off by it and I may just leave it in the box and never even turn it on.

I really do appreciate your being there to answer my many questions, galfert.

anything