Author Topic: Reading backwards in time  (Read 5752 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Reading backwards in time
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:17:06 PM »
This is neither a Bug or Suggestion, but a question on how this board's software works.

Here's what I want to do, and I would imagine the feature is here, but I just don't know how to invoke it.

Usually when I log in I look at the unread messages, using the "show Unread Messages since last visit" option right below my name on the top left of the home page.

I see something interesting, but if I don't reply to it, I have no way of finding the topic again since my memory is both short and not always classifying the discussion as someone else miay choose to.

Once I leave the page, and come back a few hours or day later, the new messages of course has only the new ones.

I want to be able to list ALL the messages that have been on the board, not only  the new ones, but back further.  I would envision a list of all messages coming in being added to such a list, and one merely would have to scroll backwards along the list, and in essence back in time, to recognize the topic I was interested in.

As it is now, I would have to open every special interest area to try to find what I'm thinking about.

Is this something this forum's software can do?

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Colin

• Senior Contributor
    • Colin's Weather
Re: Reading backwards in time
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »
Hello Dale,
In the absence of replies I give my 2 cents worth.
At the end of the topic you are interested in there is a tab called Send This Topic. Just click that and send it to your email address. Forum admin will email you the link. You can go back to it next month if you like.
Hope that is what you mean.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 - USB Data Logger - Meteobridge
Porepunkah, Victoria, Australia
https://www.weather.manorts.com
https://www.punkaweather.com
www.meteo.manorts.com

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »
Colin,
Thanks for the work around, and it will work for the 'real important' threads I want to follow.

The problem is I have a poor memory and a few weeks or even days after I glance through stuff, may suddenly have a more intense interest than I did at the time I first read it, then can't always remember the key words in the topic header to go searching for it.

I was just hoping that a section of All Messages existed, and that you could scroll back through the subject and authors' listing to see if something jogged my memory.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and yes I'll use your method to point to the important topics that I think I may need.  At least in my email inbox that scrolls back in time as I suggested would be helpful here.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
If you go back to the wxforum.net home page, and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, you will see several items, one of which is labeled "Forum Stats". Under that you will see "View the most recent posts on the forum". Just click on that and you'll see a list of the last 100 posts made. See the attached screen capture...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »
As an admin, this is how I almost always access the forum, to see what's happening and trending, even thought I may not read all the posts.

I will say that duration covered by "the last 100 posts" is like asking how long a baseball game lasts. :) Rarely, 100 posts goes back a half a day or 3 days. Mostly it seems to be about a day.

If you go back to the wxforum.net home page, and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, you will see several items, one of which is labeled "Forum Stats". Under that you will see "View the most recent posts on the forum". Just click on that and you'll see a list of the last 100 posts made. See the attached screen capture...

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »
Good point, I would assume that an administrator needs to review all that goes on under his domain, and was further support to my thought that 'there must be a way.'

But for a busy topic or series of topics 100 won't last long.

My answer to how long does a baseball game go on is, way too long with the way they play them now.

A good book, mostly true I hear, by Bill Bryson called "One Summer, America 1927" talks about Lindberg, Babe Ruth and some other aspect, maybe boxing but don't remember, says that double headers were played in under a couple hours, for both of them.  Apparently the pitchers had underwear that fit correctly and that trips to the mound by the manager wasn't about to review recipes and the news of the day but to replace the pitcher immediately.

In any event, I'll try the trick of forwarding myself the link, too, if there is even the remote possibility of me having to find it again.  Then I'll just have to find it in my email inbox!
Thanks for all the comments and ideas.  Dale
PS, it was a great read, so I recommend checking the book out of your public library or borrowing it from someone who has it.  Fast read, did it in a weekend and was happy.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »
One Summer America, 1927 is available on AbeBooks.com for $4.47 and free shipping...
Synopsis:
Britain's favourite writer of narrative non-fiction Bill Bryson travels back in time to a forgotten summer when America came of age, took centre stage, and, in five eventful months, changed the world for ever.

In the summer of 1927, America had a booming stock market, a president who worked just four hours a day (and slept much of the rest of the time), a semi-crazed sculptor with a mad plan to carve four giant heads into an inaccessible mountain called Rushmore, a devastating flood of the Mississippi, a sensational murder trial, and a youthful aviator named Charles Lindbergh who started the summer wholly unknown and finished it as the most famous man on earth. (So famous that Minnesota considered renaming itself after him.)

It was the summer that saw the birth of talking pictures, the invention of television, the peak of Al Capone's reign of terror, the horrifying bombing of a school in Michigan by a madman, the ill-conceived decision that led to the Great Depression, the thrillingly improbable return to greatness of a wheezing, over-the-hill baseball player named Babe Ruth, and an almost impossible amount more.

In this hugely entertaining book, Bill Bryson spins a story of brawling adventure, reckless optimism and delirious energy, with a cast of unforgettable and eccentric characters, with trademark brio, wit and authority.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:29:55 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

anything