Author Topic: Connecting AcuRite 06100M to Wi-Fi  (Read 3789 times)

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
Connecting AcuRite 06100M to Wi-Fi
« on: September 07, 2021, 04:49:16 PM »
A friend of mine received an AcuRite 06100M as a Christmas gift a while back. He's been using it locally for a bit, but he now wants to connect it to his Wi-Fi network. He needs some instructions on how to successfully connect it to his Wi-Fi network (I think he has an all in one modem/router from his local cable company, https://www.cablelynx.com/support). If anyone has those they could post here, that'd be great. If I need to swing out to his house to assist with the Wi-Fi setup, I can as well (it's near my favorite fried chicken place, so I can always have a good excuse to go out there!).

Any other manuals/info overall about the station would be great too.

Thanks!
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline DanInNC

Re: Connecting AcuRite 06100M to Wi-Fi
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 11:11:01 AM »
It’s really easy.

You can follow these instructions:

https://support.acurite.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050596233-AcuRite-Iris-5-in-1-Direct-to-Wi-Fi-Weather-Station-Setup-?gclid=CjwKCAjwvuGJBhB1EiwACU1Aial3jH-6Vix-85hg59-CEjf8do9oAYkjIeYRPOyDsWg9ETN71LQyYxoCPfkQAvD_BwE

I think where most people go south is that they don’t understand they’re connecting a phone or PC to the device…and NOT the internet.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 05:53:20 PM »
Excellent. I'll send him the instructions and see if that works on his own or if I need to swing by and knock it out. This would be simple for me to do.
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 11:29:29 PM »
I went out there today and assisted him with this per the instructions above. Here are the issues he's having:

1. Sometimes when I try to connect directly to the Wi-Fi of the weather station so I can run the 192.168.4.1, I get "Cannot Connect to the Network" in the Wi-Fi Settings of any device I attempt to connect to it (phone or computer).
2. When I can finally connect to the Wi-Fi network on it and try the 192.168.4.1, I get "Connection Refused" in the web browser.
3. We tried power cycling the display, plus even removing the batteries and power cycling the display.

I tried live chat, who hung up on us without a resolution. I tried sending an email to support, but since AcuRite has the worst support in the industry, I'm not expecting a response in return.

Does anyone else have any other solutions? Should he try any type of reset on the device?

I've deployed Earth Networks Network Appliances, HD Cameras, and loads of Cisco Networking gear in the past, but never have I had such a frustrating experience as this weather station!
Nathan Parker

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 09:33:42 AM »
When the display is in setup mode it will broadcast an SSID of “AcuRite 06100M”. Look for that SSID under your Wi-Fi connection of your cell phone or computer and connect to it. Once connected; type 192.168.4.1 into your browser and it will bring up the setup page. Once you get to the setup page you need to enter the SSID of your network’s router and its password. Then you can also set up connection to your Weather under Ground page.

If you get "Cannot Connect to the Network" recheck your SSID and password of your network that you entered on the setup screen. These are case-sensitive. Sometimes it hard to clear the password of extra characters so make sure it only contains your password.

Once the display is connected to your Wi-Fi network it will use your network to send the displays information to MyAcuRite.com and/or Weatherunderground.com. You need one of these accounts to view the Diplays information over the internet. It also will use the Wi-Fi connection to get Dark Ski forecasts.

ADDITIONAL NOTES
The Wi-Fi set up page is available for 30 minutes after the display is powered on. Press the gear button to re-activate the setup page at any time.
To retain Wi-Fi configuration details, backup batteries are strongly recommended in the
display. The display can be power cycled at any time to clear Wi-Fi credentials.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 02:49:29 PM »
When the display is in setup mode it will broadcast an SSID of “AcuRite 06100M”. Look for that SSID under your Wi-Fi connection of your cell phone or computer and connect to it. Once connected; type 192.168.4.1 into your browser and it will bring up the setup page. Once you get to the setup page you need to enter the SSID of your network’s router and its password. Then you can also set up connection to your Weather under Ground page.

That's what I did, and that's where either the "Cannot Connect to Network" occurs, or if I manage to connect, I receive "Connection Refused" at the 192.168.4.1 page. The setup page never loads.
Nathan Parker

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 04:02:39 PM »
Sounds like you’re not getting a consistent Wi-Fi signal from the display. Don’t know maybe it’s an interference problem or you're not close enough to the display.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a defective display. I would request a warranty replacement or return it.

Just curious. If using a cell phone, is it an iPhone or Android? If using a computer, is it a Mac or Windows? Which browser are your using? Try a different browser. Try clearing browser’s cache.

EDIT: Are you using an HTTPS or HTTP request for  192.168.4.1?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 04:16:55 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 04:54:01 PM »
Sounds like you’re not getting a consistent Wi-Fi signal from the display. Don’t know maybe it’s an interference problem or you're not close enough to the display.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a defective display. I would request a warranty replacement or return it.

Just curious. If using a cell phone, is it an iPhone or Android? If using a computer, is it a Mac or Windows? Which browser are your using? Try a different browser. Try clearing browser’s cache.

EDIT: Are you using an HTTPS or HTTP request for  192.168.4.1?

I used their computer and cell phone since I didn't have mine on me, and it was a Windows 10 computer running Chrome and an Android phone. I tried it close to the display as well. Sounds like it is a defect unless there's an interference issue (I was picking up quite a bit of SSIDs in the area). I believe I tried both HTTPS and HTTP.

It's past the return window. Not sure if it's past the warranty. I gave them my old Davis VP2 and trying to get it online as a backup.
Nathan Parker

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 05:54:43 PM »
AcuRite has a one year warranty for its products. I've had success requesting warranty replacements by sending them an Email at support@chaney-inst.com. I usually get an response within a business day or two. They'll usually will give you some troubleshooting suggestions and you have to reply back that they didn't work and request a replacement.

Best of luck!

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 07:46:48 PM »
Good to know. I'll let them know. Thanks!
Nathan Parker