Author Topic: Atlas Display Drop Outs  (Read 1855 times)

Offline AlanD96

Atlas Display Drop Outs
« on: June 25, 2020, 10:30:06 AM »
I put this topic up in the Facebook Acurite users page and was surprised at the number of people who are having the same problem I am.  I posted this:
                                     -------------------

I wonder if any of you Atlas owners ever experienced this.
I have an Atas with three displays. Usually all three have maximum signal bars, but a few times each day, at different times the bars will slowly drop down to zero for about 5 minutes, then slowly and mysteriously return back to normal. If one display has no signal the others are fine at the same time! Then it'll happen on a different display. I've checked out any possible source of local interference but find nothing
I know about the a,b,c switch, but am told that has nothing to do with changing frequency, it just changes a packet identifier so your display won't read a nearby Atlas instead of yours. 
                                   -----------------------

Lots of people were experiencing this along with me.   Has anyone else here? 

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Re: Atlas Display Drop Outs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 01:42:24 PM »
Well, I have 2 Displays.  One seems to never loose the signal and the other randomly looses it for awhile on random days.  No real pattern.  It is on a counter in the bathroom so nothing electrical (computers, routers, motors, etc.) nearby OR between it and the Atlas.  Still trying to figure it out.  Sometimes I have to unplug the display and plug it back in for it to start searching.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 04:33:49 PM »
hdtvluvr --

Sounds similar.  If mine is slow to find the signal, I'll go into "Sensor,  remove a sensor, then add a sensor."  It always finds the Atlas again with full bars.
I think that may be safer than unplugging the unit, as many of us have found that when you do that, you "brick" the device when it doesn't come back. 
Like you, I've found no reason for this to happen. 

Offline jmello65

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 04:19:18 PM »
Yes -- i have this problem of losing/drop of signal ----  very frustrating because when this happens it makes the Atlas worthless --- no bars = equals Atlas not reporting weather data --   why doesnt acurite fix this problem

Offline mikemaps

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »
Mine will lose the signal several times a day (that I notice), but usually picks it up again within a few minutes.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »
Mine will lose the signal several times a day (that I notice), but usually picks it up again within a few minutes.

Apparently, mikemaps, this exact same phenomenon happens with every Atlas display ever made.  I have three displays, all 3 of them have been replaced for a 'power-up issue', so that makes all six displays with the same signal loss/gain several times a day.  My main Atlas has been replaced also.
An Atlas beta tester reported that his display had the same issue before the Atlas was officially released.   
I think those who have not reported this just haven't been watching the signal level display carefully.  Since it only lasts a few minutes, I can imagine some users just never noticed it.
(And I've set up a display just 3 feet from the main unit and it did the same thing.)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 12:35:42 PM »
It's either the antenna design or the displays are not programmed right... I have improved my display significantly, but it still loses signal at times. If it was possible to remove the coax from the board, and solder an antenna directly, we could determine what exactly is happening at that point, but it is impossible without destroying the connection.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 04:40:41 PM »
Strange … I had 4 Atlas displays (2 replacements) and the signal is always strong with them at 4 bars, it’s my Access that the signal fluctuates between 0-4.   

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »
Strange … I had 4 Atlas displays (2 replacements) and the signal is always strong with them at 4 bars, it’s my Access that the signal fluctuates between 0-4.

worahj --
I'm old now and I've decided after all these years, sometimes life has no logic.   :) 

Offline radioman61

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 10:41:01 AM »
I have two displays and one Access.  The rssi on the Access is always strong and both displays are always full bars with the antennas folded down.  Never had a problem until yesterday when I did my annual autumn maintenance on the Atlas which involves fresh batteries.  Before I came down off the roof, I checked the Acurite app and My PWS on my phone and got indications we were good to go.  Get down off the roof, put the ladder away, go in the house and the display upstairs has no bars.  It still seemed to be updating, though we know it will still work fairly well with a weak signal.  I did a power cycle on the display and it returned to normal.  I never checked the downstairs display in my home office until this morning and it is siting here happy with full bars.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 07:02:34 PM »
Radioman, I would get the wind extension and bring the rain gauge down to the ground. I got the wind extension and love it. My thermometer also reads a lot lower.Amazon has one for cheap 20 bills.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 07:11:50 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 07:07:46 PM »
Sorry, OT, but I love the D104! Brings back many fond memories!   :-)

Offline radioman61

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 02:12:42 PM »
The D104 was a great microphone and sounded better than anything out there at the time, but I'll always be partial to the styling of a vintage Sure 55.

Interesting link....   https://www.radioblvd.com/BCMICS.htm
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:15:15 PM by radioman61 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 06:16:25 PM »
The D104 was a great microphone and sounded better than anything out there at the time, but I'll always be partial to the styling of a vintage Sure 55.

Interesting link....   https://www.radioblvd.com/BCMICS.htm
Excellent link, thanks!. Just one more OT here, but I never owned a D104 (that was an adult toy, I had a little mobile Pace), but my girlfriend's dad had one hooked up to a Browning Golden Eagle with a 1000 watt (at least) linear amp pushed through 8 element beams. Always liked the distinctive "ping" when keying up. If the linear was on, the house lights would literally dim when he transmitted. I think the FCC finally caught up to him...