Author Topic: New Cheap ChinaCam  (Read 3471 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
New Cheap ChinaCam
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:51 AM »
Just got this thing last week.  Took a bit to figure out how to best mount it, but it seems to be working out.  Full PTZ with 3X Optical Zoom.  POE power, so only one LAN cable from the house to the pole.  Cost about $70 or so.

Image is decent for me.  Lettering switches white to black based on the background which is why both are shown.

Only thing I really don't like so far is the reflection on the dome from the built in IRs.  But at least I can switch them on or off.  There is enough light near the house that I get a full color image overnight.  Away from the house in unlit areas is well ...  dark.

Working fine this morning in 18 degree temps with high winds. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
Re: New Cheap ChinaCam
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
Is that one of those Yi Cameras?
Tony

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 12:35:02 PM »
How about a link to where you can buy it or get more details about the camera???
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
Some of the information in some listings is conflicting.  For example, in one place it will say Indoor only, but in another it mentions Outdoor/Weatherproof.  The one I got is outside, but I did take a few extra precautions to keep water off it directly.  The IRs are not openly visible as they are in some others.  I'm going to try some black tape over them to block the glare and see what kind of B&W image I get at night.

The POE adapter is external, so I had to make up a box to house it and keep it dry.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »
Thanks for the link! It appears they have lots of other offerings too and the pricing seems to be quite reasonable.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »
Well, you know how it is there.  Don't get hung up on any one seller and be sure to read all the details and make comparisons.  I've been eyeing those other PTZ units with the 30X optical zoom, but I can't really swing the $125+ right now.  I remember when that style of camera was over $1,000 though.  The name brand models like Pelco probably still are.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »
Well, you know how it is there.  Don't get hung up on any one seller and be sure to read all the details and make comparisons.  I've been eyeing those other PTZ units with the 30X optical zoom, but I can't really swing the $125+ right now.  I remember when that style of camera was over $1,000 though.  The name brand models like Pelco probably still are.

Yes, I agree. I guess it is one of those "buyer beware" kind of things. Advertisers can say just about anything and yet, as a consumer we have to depend on some level of honesty on the part of the sellers.

I can remember one Sony PTZ camera that someone on this forum had. I think they were in Colorada and he allowed viewers to pan and zoom it to our hearts' content. I believe it had a 50X lens on it and at that time was incredibly clear and sharp. He went off-line but the views were spectacular of the surrounding terrain on his ranch. I always lusted for such a camera after seeing that one but the price tag was way too much for me.

You camera appears to have some pretty good image quality to it. Is there any way you can disable the auto IR feature on it?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »
This is after dusk, IRs turned off and exposure set in Day Mode.  The point (red arrow) of light is an antenna about 5 miles away.  The glow I'm pretty sure is an industrial area about 10 miles away, ground lights reflecting off the low clouds.  The yard lights around the house are all 5K LEDs.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 07:07:29 PM »
Also bear in mind this is at the far end of a 100' length of CAT6 LAN cable with the POE injector inside the house at the other end.  Motion is smooth in all directions and color is good in daylight with no flickering, so it appears to have sufficient power.  I'm not sure how much more distance might be feasible.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
That is a very nice image and it appears to be quite sharp even in the low light. What is the widest field of view for the camera? The eBay site doesn't give any field of view figures for the various focal lengths.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 07:26:13 PM »
I'm not really sure about those kinds of numbers.  I know I can see most or my yard without rotation and I only have to go about half way around to see the rest.

I don't see anything in the manual either.  It might be on the lens, but that's about 25' up in the air right now.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 07:35:42 AM »
This is pre-dawn, visible light when looking out a window, but not full daylight.  Native image size is 1920 x 1080 and 180Kb before resizing for posting here.  Image is facing South, so East is to the left of the frames.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »
Mid-day-ish.  Still kinda sorta black and white with all that junk on the ground, but not much I can do about that.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 06:56:40 PM »
This thing's weird.  The other three outdoor bullet cameras are all switched over to night mode and showing black and white images, yet this one is still shows decent visibility in full color.  I have it set manually to day mode so it doesn't switch to night until I can figure out how to disable or block the IRs.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »
I'm seeing fireflies on these. Wasn't sure what the flickering lights were at first until I saw a few in motion.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 10:26:07 AM »
What is the update on how reliable/durable it has been.  I think this thread started about 6 months or so ago, and I wonder if you've had any major or even minor problems (anything 25' up is probably not minor).

Also, while the eBay listing says it is compatible with many other cameras, I know my ability to just hit an IP address with my FireFox and see the image out of the HikVision ones is now gone with the security upgrades making the software Hik used non-functional. With some kind comments from another user I found a way to use VLC to get an streaming image, but it isn't quite as convenient as the old way.

How do you look at the stream on your LAN?  Is there proprietary software that works with update browsers?

Can you put a bookmark on your browser to just click to begin watching the camera?

Thanks.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 10:58:25 AM »
First one's been solid as a rock, even with power glitches that knock down the POE injector.  Comes right back up.

Second one I got is a bit flaky on boot up and there is an issue with AutoFocus on Zoom, but it works OK otherwise.

I set Static IPs on both of them and can view them in IE11 and SeaMonkey.  Seems like there was an ActiveX plug in to be installed though.  Bookmarks work fine.

I also have a hockey puck style NVR that picked them up and displays them with no problem.  It looks for OnVif and a couple of other protocols.

They send a CD with something called 'CME' that is an NVR program to be installed on your PC is you want it.  There is also a mobile utility on the CD.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 11:00:17 AM by WeatherHost »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 11:08:03 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Were you able to cut or block the IR diodes you were speaking about?  Any access or is the case pretty well sealed up?

Oh, and on the picture from 1/12/2018 there is a red line, looks like a laser beam on the  upper left of the photo.

Usually observatories use a green laser to do atmospheric turbulence cancellation, and your environment looks way to bright for any serious observing.  Do you know what that is, by chance?
Thx again Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 11:26:53 AM »
Red line is drawn in with MS Paint to point out the tower light mentioned.

Can't really get in to the LEDs easily unfortunately.  Probably could, but didn't want to risk breaking the dome or the retaining tabs.

FYI, these things are intended for indoors and not really weather proof out of the box.  I used a aluminum pie tins, inverted to form a shield over the base of the camera, then added some caulk and foil tape to seal things up.  Has worked well so far.  Air temps have been in the 90s with high dewpoints and they've both continued to work fine.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
Thanks.

I see that Hik has some PTZ stuff now, for about twice the price.

And a big DUH on my part about the red line.  I'm thinking something completely other than such as indicating tower, and also didn't read that closely. 

Dale

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php