Author Topic: What apps on our phones are feeding this location data all the time?  (Read 550 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
With the recent stay-at-home orders for our and other's protection, there has been a new spotlight turned on to our private lives (arguably for our own good) as to where we are and how much we travel.  Some company has been buying the location data of everyone and plotting how far we travel, from 60 feet to many miles, and using that as an indicator of how we have or haven't taken this seriously.

There were two national TV news snippets talking about this (that I saw) and a couple of local interviews with people who are in the security business, who said that these data are gathered by many apps on our phones, and if we want to know if that is happening, we need to read the fine print.

Well, come on guys, don't play wink-wink, cutsie-cutsie with us.  I know Google and Apple has a clause that says you cannot rat on some other app that is harvesting these data (far too profitable to risk offending someone, and after all, they are the final arbitors of what goes on our phones, aren't they) but with the so called security experts they hire to run private software to monitor which apps are phoning home, and how much data are transferred off our phones at night when on charging stations, someone out there must know which apps these are.

I'm pretty concerned about folks I don't know having access to my location data.  I have location turned off except for   911, but I suspect this is a false toggle that gives some mental comfort thinking you've shut it off when really it does zilch.  And in the fine print that all these tracking experts refer to, there may be a line about thirty pages down that says, "we have the right to extract your location even if you have location function turned off, please press agree". 

I know we live in a world where everyone wants everything for free, and all those little fees add up here and there, but I'm blaming this attitude for folks who want the very latest gizmo or social media fad, for nothing, to gleefully push the agree button. 

Is there any remnant of a program that stays behind (I think they were ungraciously referred to as 'turds' by some) that once installed on your system, just can't be scrubbed, even if you get rid of something, but how would we know.

I will beat some of you to the punch by knocking out the reverse argument that if you haven't nothing to be ashamed of or caught doing, who cares who tracks you.  Well, there are some of us old timers who do. 

Does anyone know of a list of applications which do send back tracking data?  Is there any program that is available to do what the security experts do in order to monitor what's really running in the background and what isn't? 

I'm looking for any thoughts about this, and why the talking heads won't mention names once they find out what is harvesting and selling location data.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: What apps on our phones are feeding this location data all the time?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 01:49:17 PM »
BIG BROTHER is tightening the invisible "noose."
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 02:41:09 PM »
Or it may not even be an app.  Your cell phone provider could be handing data out.  At least that's what I inferred from this article.

https://matadornetwork.com/read/cell-phone-data-reveals-americans-staying-home-ones-arent/
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 03:57:41 PM »
I'll admit a lot of my apps  do have access to my location.
Weather apps with radar that show my location.
Those same apps use it for  a local forecast.
Model weather data for my location.
Flightradar 24 has my location.
Google maps has it so my wife and 2 daughters can see everyone's location.
I'm one of those people that do hit that agree button if it's something I like.
To be honest I have no idea if they are tracking me or what they do with that info.
I see your point in that you don't want that info out there but I guess I'm just indifferent.
I'll take it one step further. Just about everywhere you go you are on camera too.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 04:35:28 PM »
Just another reason why I still use one just like this.

https://www.cell2get.com/images/v400v400_02.jpg

But I have no life either. :-({|=

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 05:03:17 PM »

Your cell company still knows where you are.

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 05:08:03 PM »
I have turned off the location data for my phone. I have also turned off location data for all apps that have that option. But my cell carrier knows where I am just by what cell towers my phone is pinging off of. Some of my apps ask me to turn on my location data, which sometimes becomes a hassle to get around, but I leave it off at all times. The only time I turn it on is if I want to use the mapping data on my phone, which I have done twice since I got the phone 2 years ago.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 05:11:49 PM »

Your cell company still knows where you are.
IF it's turned on, which is maybe 2 or 3 minutes per YEAR. It's prime use is for emergencies when on the road. I still use a landline at home.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 06:08:28 PM »

I used to be like that but with the advent of all this great weather data literally at your finger tips, I was sold.
If I wasn't such a weather junkie I could easily get by with a dumb phone.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 06:23:21 PM »

I used to be like that but with the advent of all this great weather data literally at your finger tips, I was sold.
If I wasn't such a weather junkie I could easily get by with a dumb phone.
When on the road, yes, I'll bet it is. But remember, I have no life so I don't go anywhere.  :-({|=