Author Topic: Apple acquires popular weather app Dark Sky and will shut down the Android ver  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
Don't know if this is the right place for this but mods can move it where  they want to  .

" Apple has acquired popular weather app Dark Sky and will be shutting down the Dark Sky Android and Wear OS apps in July, Dark Sky announced in a blog post today. "   .....   https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/21201666/apple-acquires-weather-app-dark-sky-shut-down-android-wear-os-ios
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:15:47 PM by Mabcmb »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
This is really unfortunate. I'm not liking Apple very much today as an Android user myself. I also have the Dark Sky skill "Big Sky" that I use regularly on Alexa. I also like pulling up the Dark Sky website on my computer. This is not good...not good at all  :evil:

Also Ambient Weather's new AWN 2.0 uses Dark Sky...that API use is also going to go away.

Dark Sky has had a reputation of being one of the best and most accurate weather forecasting services. I don't even know who is next in line to consider. Anyone know?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:53:56 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
aerisweather.com is likely next followed by api.weather.com (TWC)

Neither are 'free' like DarkSky was for limited use.  Aerisweather does have a short-term free developer key available which auto-expires.  TWC will sell accesses or offer a limited version for PWS data submitters only.

Ambientweather.net will likely have to turn to aerisweather.com from DarkSky by June 2020.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I just heard from Ed (Ambient). They will be switching to Aeris. It wont be as good but he hopes people will understand.

There is a way to sort of access Aeris forecast for free by pulling up a station on PWSweather and going into the forecast section, since they are owned by Aeris. But of course this does not have the flexibility of getting to the API data and various integrations (without paying Aeris). I suppose it might be a solution for those that are just looking for a decent forecast on a browser.

I wonder where Dark Sky got their secret sauce from? Like where do they pull data from and then what are they dong with the data to come up with the forecast?

Did I mention how upset I was?  :evil:  How egotistical of Apple. What if Google decided to not share all their services with Apple and only allowed their services on Android? Imagine Apple without Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, Google Search, Chrome, Waze, Stadia, and much more.  I wonder how Apple would feel then? When companies do this nobody wins. Apple isn't going to gain more customers by not licensing or monetizing Dark Sky.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:23:41 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
The DarkSky sources are shown at https://darksky.net/dev/docs/sources -- it's their 'magic sauce' that turns that public data into a lat/long forecast with warnings.  Their 'magic sauce' is what Apple gets by buying the company.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
weatherbit.io has a free tier that could be used for scripts, etc.

The Dark Sky magic sauce isn't that magical. It revolves around using current radar data to predict precipitation and record actual precipitation. They put in a lot of work to tune it and get the level of accuracy they have but it's not something someone else could not replicate given time and some funding. Now that they're essentially going private, I imagine others will fill the void eventually. It's also only a matter of time until weather models start having that level of accuracy. HRRR is getting pretty good.

It seems that Apple just wanted to buy a finished product instead of developing their own and piss off the competition at the same time. Shutting down the Android app is just a dick move.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:38:38 AM by doubleohwhatever »

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
If you are sending data to PWSWeather, then you can sign up with AerisWeather for the PWS Contributors Package. This allows you to use the Aeris API for free up to a maximum of 1000 hits a day. There's lots of good documentation on using the Aeris API on their website.

Steve

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
If you are sending data to PWSWeather, then you can sign up with AerisWeather for the PWS Contributors Package. This allows you to use the Aeris API for free up to a maximum of 1000 hits a day. There's lots of good documentation on using the Aeris API on their website.

Steve
That sounds interesting.. my station does send to PWSWeather.  Where is the signup for 'PWS Contributors Package'?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Looks like Aeris is jumping at this new opportunity... I just love their congratulatory message to Dark Sky/Apple. Too funny!
https://twitter.com/AerisWeather/status/1245061257574653956
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:17:17 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe

Steve
That sounds interesting.. my station does send to PWSWeather.  Where is the signup for 'PWS Contributors Package'?
I did signup here:  https://www.aerisweather.com/signup/pws/

Succes, Wim

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather

Ken,

I signed up here: https://www.aerisweather.com/signup/pws/

Steve

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
Did I mention how upset I was?  :evil:  How egotistical of Apple...
Recently Apple announced a new app (CDC partner in this) for users to answer some questions on their symptoms and see if they might have the virus. Appropriate, decent partner, and needed these days. I decided to get it. Oops, AppStore says I can't because my iOS is not at the needed level. But my iPhone 6+ will not allow the latest software to be installed, so I've been left out by Apple (not only Android folks getting bumped by them - they do far too much messing with folks). Given the current situation the app should never have been written with that requirement.

I used to work for Apple, both directly and later as a contractor. Great jobs but really different days back then. Apple is now far from my favorite places to be happy with.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:23:44 PM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org

Ken,

I signed up here: https://www.aerisweather.com/signup/pws/

Steve
Thanks Wim, that worked for me too... looks like an Aerisweather forecast script will be coming soon :)

anything