Author Topic: Looking to buy a wifi PWS in EU  (Read 1465 times)

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
Looking to buy a wifi PWS in EU
« on: July 26, 2022, 12:27:20 PM »
I'd like to buy a PWS but it has turned out to be a real PITA, to put it mildly.
  • Must be available in mainland EU and use EU WiFi
  • Must run on solar (internal battery backup OK. External AC/DC is no-go)
  • Must be able to connect to popular weather web sites (so I can see, what is happening and/or contribute to more accurate w forecast)
  • would like to avoid "additional accessories, sold separately" nonsense for wifi and net upload
  • indoor sensors are not needed unless it can handle hot and humid greenhouse (they usually cant!)
  • console is not required, but if included, no problems
  • anything that requires PC is no-go

I have no special requirements so typical pressure, wind, rain, snow, temperature is fine.
Must operate in N European weather - wind, rain, snow and -30C to +30C or more :)
Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Looking to buy a wifi PWS in EU
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 12:37:13 PM »
Hi,
It should be quite easy... Davis VP2 ISS (without console so saves money) and wireless Weatherlink Live...  WiFi to Weatherlink.com... Upload to WU, CWOP, WOW

View data on Weatherlink APP or browser, as well as on those uploads sites.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 05:50:10 AM »
I was looking at the Wittboy. Reading the comments, it sound like the product is still in beta.
Tempest was another nice one I found but they cant send to EU (probably wifi frequency issues).
Barani looks good but it's unclear what is happening with them.

Davis VP2 ISS starts to look like a good idea.
Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 08:57:42 AM »
I was looking at the Wittboy. Reading the comments, it sound like the product is still in beta.
Tempest was another nice one I found but they cant send to EU (probably wifi frequency issues).
Barani looks good but it's unclear what is happening with them.

Davis VP2 ISS starts to look like a good idea.

What I dislike about all in 1 setups is that it's often a lot harder to replace parts. A 7 in 1 station is nice, but when something breaks down it's either continuing with a 6 in 1 or buying a new one entirely. Davis allows for expansion and replacement of parts so easily. Definitely go for the VP2 without the console, as PaulMy suggests. The WeatherLink Live gives you the most modern options in terms of doing stuff with you data.

Last thing I might suggest, but this complicates stuff very fast , is going for an Ecowitt Wifi gateway, combine it with the WH32_EP sensor inside a Barani MeteoShield Pro. I haven't encountered a better setup in terms of temperature measurement. You could combine it with other Ecowitt parts or just have it side by side with your Davis station.
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Apogee Instruments TS-100
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink
Wemos D1 Mini micro controllers
https://blog.meteodrenthe.nl
https://meteodrenthe.nl
https://twitter.com/meteodrenthe

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 09:47:31 AM »
I can recommend ecowitt ( I have this one expanded with a few additional sensors )
Apart from ws90 you have different option to choose from ( see this post for the complete list: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0 ):
- ws65 external sensor all in one ( 7in1 )
- ws68 external sensor ( cup wind sensor, light )
- ws80 external sensor ( ultrasonic wind sensor, light, T/H )
- wh40 rain sensor
- several T/H sensor
- soil moisture
- air particulate
- gateways ( gw1000/gw1100/gw2000/wn1900/wn1910 )
- consoles ...

Available in europe ( with different brands ) or directly from china.
Final note, great customer support directly from ecowitt

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 09:50:35 AM »
I can recommend ecowitt

Even though I don't really have any use for it right now, I really want to invent an excuse to try them out some time.
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Apogee Instruments TS-100
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink
Wemos D1 Mini micro controllers
https://blog.meteodrenthe.nl
https://meteodrenthe.nl
https://twitter.com/meteodrenthe

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 10:16:04 AM »
I can recommend ecowitt

Even though I don't really have any use for it right now, I really want to invent an excuse to try them out some time.

You have to build your new weather site using meteotemplate ( this is clearly an excuse 'couse you could do it using your existing sensors )
Voilą ; - )

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 02:17:47 PM »
After reading this: https://www.weatherstationadvisor.com/davis-instruments-6250-vantage-vue-review/ it turns out that for the price, Vantage is kinda limited so, I'll skip that.

Ecowitt looks like a good option but this "Made in China" bothers me a bit. This is why Barani and Davis look like better options.
I think I am overthinking it :)

5-in-one, 6-in-one, 7-in-one is not an issue but swapping out parts, when they fail, is a good feature. Adding additional sensors is also nice.  I have a greenhouse I am planning to rebuild/re-designe and automate some tasks. I even got some fruit trees growing in there. Already eating fresh nectarines. Good stuff.

So, I probably want my PWS to send some signals to my, currently completely manual, greenhouse. Close/open ventilation hatch or something along those lines.

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 09:31:39 AM »
I decided not to invest too much into this so I went with the WittBoy. At least it looks OK, has no moving parts and was sold in EU.

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 09:39:52 AM »
I decided not to invest too much into this so I went with the WittBoy. At least it looks OK, has no moving parts and was sold in EU.
be warned - the jury is most definitely out on rainfall accuracy

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 09:54:08 AM »

If it can detect it, fine by me. It's more for my lawnmower so it can stop working and returns to the charging station. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 10:01:21 AM by BaseLine »

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 12:14:50 PM »

If it can detect it, fine by me. It's more for my lawnmower so it can stop working and returns to the charging station.
AIUI detection isn't an issue, so it should work fine

anything