Author Topic: Acurite Atlas problems  (Read 4743 times)

Offline gdeleo

Acurite Atlas problems
« on: December 13, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »
I have been having trouble with my Atlas losing connection with the Access module and also with the HD display.  All was running really well until 3 months ago.  I have been having to change the batteries in the Atlas every month.  I have been in contact with Acurite on each occurance.  Once it was the Access and they sent me a new one.  I was given the instructions on how to reset the Atlas and do a factory reset, losing all of my data.  This time I cannot get the Atlas to connect with the display no matter what I try.  I tried switching the ABC switch and do a reset each time but nothing seems to be working.
I realize that I should not have to change the batteries every month and something is wrong. 
Has anyone had this type of problem and if so what suggestions can you make for me.

Thanks,
Gary

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite Atlas problems
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 02:12:53 PM »
The Atlas battery issue needs to be addressed first.  You're just wasting time fiddling with anything else.

Simply put, if it's not transmitting properly due to power issues, there's no way the Access or display will be able to hold a connection.

Offline gdeleo

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 02:21:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I have the Atlas indoors now and the display is not working but when I go to my dashboard I get a reading of the indoor temperature. 
Any suggestions on how to get this battery problem corrected.  When I contact Acurite they haven't addressed the battery problem in the last three months.  I once had the extended battery.  That time they told me that I could not secure the extended battery cable to the metal pole that I have the Atlas mounted on.  I always did that with my 5-in-1 and never had a problem so I removed the extended battery.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
There's not much you can do but go back to Acurite.  It sounds like it should still be under warranty.

I imagine the Access issue and extended battery issue probably clouded the true situation.  They were probably hoping for a cheap fix, but it sounds like they will have to do a full unit swap.

Offline gdeleo

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 07:22:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I have sent a message to Acurite and waiting for a reply.  My Atlas was working for a total of 3 hours yesterday and now is down again.  I hope that Acurite can get this fixed.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »
Appears that some of these Atlas have an issue with the solar panel when the sun is not hitting the panel and the batteries are supposed to take over but don't. I had one installed and every time it got dark, or the sun wasn't hitting the panel, it would not send a signal to the Access, howver it would send to the display. If I plug the Atlas to power with an adapter, it would also send to the Access. Really odd.

Offline gdeleo

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 11:46:09 AM »
Mine is doing something similar but it is not sending a signal to the display or the Access.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »
Mine is doing something similar but it is not sending a signal to the display or the Access.

Have you totally powered down the Access so it can reset itself ? When ever I have a problem with it I have to unplug the access unhook the ethernet cord and pull the batteries for about 2 to 5 minutes . Hook everything back up and then the access will reset and connect again .

Offline gdeleo

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 12:41:53 PM »
Yes I have tried that as well.  When I do it, it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Yesterday when I did all of those things and nothing seem to work, I had the display and the Atlas side by side in the house and after a couple hours the display found the Atlas and the Access.  I am not sure what is going on at this point, I think something is going on with the Atlas and probably its a battery issue with it.  I had to change the batteries each month for the last 3 months and do a total reset of the display to get anything to work.  I hope Acurite can tell me what is going on.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 01:53:16 PM »
Yes I have tried that as well.  When I do it, it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Yesterday when I did all of those things and nothing seem to work, I had the display and the Atlas side by side in the house and after a couple hours the display found the Atlas and the Access.  I am not sure what is going on at this point, I think something is going on with the Atlas and probably its a battery issue with it.  I had to change the batteries each month for the last 3 months and do a total reset of the display to get anything to work.  I hope Acurite can tell me what is going on.

Yes it sounds like this is a problem only AcuRite themselves can fix . Please keep us updated as to what Acurite has to say about this !!

Offline gdeleo

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 02:14:50 PM »
I received an email back from Acurite this morning.  It appears that they are going to replace my Atlas.  Way to go Acurite!  [tup]

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 04:18:59 PM »
I received an email back from Acurite this morning.  It appears that they are going to replace my Atlas.  Way to go Acurite!  [tup]

Outstanding !!

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 06:17:38 PM »

When did you send the email to them?  I sent one yesterday (yes I know they were closed) and haven't heard back.  It's after 5 so I'm sure they are closed now.

Offline gdeleo

Acurite Atlas problems
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 07:33:53 PM »
I sent mine Friday evening late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fillyfloater

• Personal weather station
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 12:01:50 PM »
Anyone figure this out? I thought it was the battery extender's line freezing, but now I see it only transmits when it's light out. Acurite said the solar cells have nothing to do except run the fan. But here's my readings from the past few days... (Had a blizzard in the 27th - probably loosened the battery wire plug)

Offline cclark8871

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 06:43:34 PM »
Ive had exactly the same problems. No indoor display that locked up with no response. Ordered a new updated display and that started to work. I also had the access device not reporting but at the same time the indoor display was not detecting the outdoor unit (Acurite Atlas). Even after doing the reset and pulling the batteries on the outdoor still no effect. So I brought the unit indoors and after looking at the voltages across the batteries it was low. I found that the battery terminals had enough tarnish on them to not allow full voltage. After cleaning with a little alcohol on a Q Tip and popping the batteries back in the outdoor unit came back to life. That solved my problem hope that might help someone out there with theirs.

Offline fillyfloater

• Personal weather station
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 07:11:01 PM »
I guess some of their battery packs are faulty... They sent me a new one for free (1 year warranty) my lithium batteries were dead (except for one weirdly) within 7 months when I usually just change then once a year before I used the battery pack.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 10:07:34 AM »
Fillyfloater, sorry for the trouble you're experiencing. To clarify, if your unit is an Atlas, the solar panels also power the transmitter in the daytime. Not that this necessarily applies to your situation, but this also means if the Atlas is in a lower light or partially shaded area, you might see more burden on the batteries.

I followed up with our support team to clear up the confusion, so I appreciate you mentioning it.