Author Topic: Thermometer question for those old guys or those who study weather from 1950s  (Read 1258 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
I just saw something that jogged my memory that I was going to post a question here for those aware of recording conditions pre-electronics.

When I was a kid in the early 1960s, I went to a Dept of Natural Resources educational camp for a long weekend, something that those from each high school in the state with science oriented kids could choose to send, part of an outreach program they had back then.

In addition to getting bussed to a bunch of log cabin dorm type rooms, having rustic adventures and spending time learning about hydroelectric power, kinds of trees, bears, and rustic cooking, the Ranger Station had a weather observation area, which alas was not part of the program, but the guy recording the statistics was friendly enough to let some of us help or watch.

I think that the  barometer (which recorded on a graph) was a Bendix-Freiz (sp?) and even for that time was expensive beyond a hobbyist's dream, the wind direction and such was a vague memory but I do remember it being super cool.

Inside the Stevenson Shield located with the big rain gauge away from the trees were a few other things, of which I remember two thermometers.  They were almost certainly mercury filled, and were located almost horizontally, but with a slight tip down on one end.  The temps could be read directly, of course, but I recall they had a little slider that got pushed by the mercury to indicate the max and min of the day.  The were sort of like the Taylor Max Min but that setup had the thermometers vertical and not lying down, so to speak.

Does anyone recall seeing something like that from the old days? 

My question is, what were those thermometers?  I've never seen anything that identifies them, although a few pictures of Stevenson Shields I've seen here and on google search show something similar.  I've not seen anything like that in the eBay offerings even though occassionally there are some very old, pre-electronic devices offered.

Thanks for any leads on these, or discussion.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Are you talking about the townsend mount. There is a mercury Max and alcohol minimum. I'll see if I can find a picture. 
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
https://novalynx.com/store/pc/210-4420-210-4421-Min-Max-Thermometer-Sets-12p578.htm

210-4420 Min-Max Thermometer Set Fahrenheit,
includes 210-4429 and 210-4425 Thermometers and 210-4422 Townsend Support  -
$415.00
Randy

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Oh,  yeah!  That's the image that I have in my mind.

Now I have a name for it, and can look at the diagram and maybe learn a little more about them.

I am sort of a old stuff guy in addition to the up to date electronics stuff.

I have an old 4 inch copper Taylor rain gauge about two feet high and in a wooden box, a couple old anemometer/direction cup and vane set that looks like very early Texas Weather stuff, the copper look or brass look again.  I'd like an old fashion wind vane like you see on barns and silos but no barn or silo and the wife says nothing like that on the house.  None of the old paper chart recordning barometers or humidity sensors seem functional nor affordable on eBay, but they were something I lusted after when I was 60 years younger.

Anyone else like old stuff?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Randy, they still sell those?  or should I say !, so I'm off to look.  Even Santa isn't quite that flush this year, and I'd have to make a Shield to house it...
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Thanks to everyone who replied, and so rapidly.  There were replies before I got back from walking the dogs!

Great forum.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
The way those work the alcohol has a index you just tilt to reset, the maximum mercury you twirl to reset.  If you notice max thermometer is mounted near top. Just make sure nothing is in the way it makes a mess if they break. I still have my old unit somewhere back in Arizona.
Randy