Author Topic: Wired set ups - how to you manage cabling?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
Re: Wired set ups - how to you manage cabling?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 06:52:04 PM »
You have got to be kidding me #-o A new member ask a question about pulling wires and it turns in to this. Hard to believe. What did a wireless station have to do with anything?

Doug

Offline Dale_S

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 07:02:39 PM »
I've got a Vantage Pro2 (wired) system that I'm setting up for the first time.
The console connects via an RJ11 connector, and was wondering how you make the transition from outside -> inside without having an ugly hole in the wall with a cable poking through...

I presume you understand that this isn't really an RJ11 connector - it's a 4P4C connector, commonly used for telephone handsets.

I didn't know that - thanks. Do you know if the handset connect ("RJ9") can be plugged into an RJ11 connector. I'm not sure of the dimensions and no longer have any of them in the house to try out (the landline telephone network is being phased out here).

Edit: Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector#Interchangeability) says...

"The dimensions of modular connectors are such that a narrower plug can be inserted into a wider jack that has more positions than the plug, leaving the jack's outermost contacts unconnected. The contact spacing is always 1.02 mm (center to center)."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:23:47 PM by Dale_S »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 07:10:24 PM »
You have got to be kidding me #-o A new member ask a question about pulling wires and it turns in to this. Hard to believe. What did a wireless station have to do with anything?

Doug
Did you not read the thread? It's called a CHOICE. I had ZERO knowledge at first whether he even knew a wireless option existed and may have wanted to do that instead.
Unbelievable...
Amazing how people only comprehend what they WANT to comprehend.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
One piece of advice that comes to mind that I don't think has been mentioned, or I may have missed it:

When bringing the cable in from the outside, make sure it enters the house from the bottom of the hole, leave a drip loop if the cable runs down the wall.  That just helps make sure rain and moisture doesn't try to follow the cable into the house.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
Well, this interchange went off the rails fairly quickly.

I urge you all to be more considerate before posting the first response that pops into your head (and may later regret).  The purpose here is to answer member's questions as accurately (and as politely) as possible and avoid spinning down into umbrage and mudslinging.

When the topic/question is 'Wired setups - how do you manage cabling?', the replies to the question should be personal answers to the question from relevant experience.  If your setup is wireless, you likely don't have relevant experience and should likely refrain from posting in the thread at all.

NONE of the postings should read as 'hostile' to the persons who either asked or gave personal answers to the question.

Please 'play nice' or the admins will have to reveal the 'yellow card' for bad behavior. 
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 07:30:03 PM »
If your setup is wireless, you likely don't have relevant experience and should likely refrain from posting in the thread at all.
I respectfully disagree, Ken. Knowledge is power. Just because I don't have a wired setup (just one example) certainly doesn't mean that I or someone else can't help contribute to a learning experience.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 07:49:27 PM »
I agree that knowledge in the area is the requisite for having a meaningful contribution.

I'd also like to stress that sharing that knowledge should always be done in a respectful and non-demeaning manner.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 08:53:39 PM »
....I presume you understand that this isn't really an RJ11 connector - it's a 4P4C connector ....

You would mean a 6P4C as the 4P4C is different and about the only place that will be found is on the Davis serial logger.

Given the ranting and raving in this topic, and criticisms of me, I don't know how to respond to that comment. 

Perhaps someone else who owns a Cabled VP2 would look at the connector and tell us how many positions it has - or whether it's just like a telephone handset connector.  As I recall, my connectors measure almost exactly 10 mm in width.  Which would not be 6P.

Offline Dale_S

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 09:00:41 PM »
....I presume you understand that this isn't really an RJ11 connector - it's a 4P4C connector ....

You would mean a 6P4C as the 4P4C is different and about the only place that will be found is on the Davis serial logger.

Given the ranting and raving in this topic, and criticisms of me, I don't know how to respond to that comment. 

Perhaps someone else who owns a Cabled VP2 would look at the connector and tell us how many positions it has - or whether it's just like a telephone handset connector.  As I recall, my connectors measure almost exactly 10 mm in width.  Which would not be 6P.

Def. 4P4C - just looked.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 09:26:05 PM »
Now that that's settled (thanks, Dale_S)...

Did you not read the thread? It's called a CHOICE. I had ZERO knowledge at first whether he even knew a wireless option existed and may have wanted to do that instead.
Unbelievable...

In the first sentence in this topic, Dale_S says:
I've got a Vantage Pro2 (wired) system that I'm setting up .....

Perhaps a logical conclusion, from the presence of the "(wired)" notation, would be that Dale_S was aware of a "non-wired" version.
And perhaps, from the presence of the word "got", it might be inferred that an additional, alternative version purchase might not be attractive.

But I certainly wouldn't want to dispute other conclusions.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 09:35:13 PM »
Now that that's settled (thanks, Dale_S)...

Unbelievable...
Perhaps a logical conclusion, from the presence of the "(wired)" notation, would be that Dale_S was aware of a "non-wired" version.
You are absolutely correct. My bad.

Offline Dale_S

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 09:39:07 PM »
Happy to just let things die down here. Not wanting to sow any discord.

Sorry!

Dale

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:00 PM »
Do you know if the handset connect ("RJ9") can be plugged into an RJ11 connector. I'm not sure of the dimensions and no longer have any of them in the house to try out (the landline telephone network is being phased out here).

[Note: I prefer the xPxC description, because there's a lot of "confusion" (fake news/perception) about RJs]

Yes, through very good engineering, the 4P4C plug will fit in, and connect properly to, a 6P socket (and to an 8P socket).

I would advise against that for outdoor applications, because the vacant space at each side of the connector would be an exposure.  (Keystone jacks are available in 4P4C, if you really want to go the "jack" route)

I don't even like it a lot for indoor applications, because the connector is sometimes a little "wiggly"from side to side, which bothers me (but probably doesn't actually matter from a connection standpoint).

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 10:48:07 PM »

Def. 4P4C - just looked.

Then you better look again as it is definitely a 6P4C, that being a 6 Position, 4 Conductor plug but the jacks on the Davis ISS and wired console are actually all 6P6C but things like the Wind, Rain etc require only 4 conductors so use 6P4C plugs, Temp/Humidity use 6 conductors and use a 6P6C jack. a 4P4C plug will fit into 6P6C or 6P4C jack but is rather sloppy and can fail to contact at times.

The only 4P4C used by Davis is on the serial data logger which requires an adapter cable with a 4P4C jack to 6P4C modular plug   

Offline Dale_S

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 03:38:47 AM »
You are correct! I measured the jack and it was around 9mm wide which matches the wikipedia entry (9.6mm) rather than the 7mm for the rj9.

Thanks for correcting me.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
You are correct! I measured the jack and it was around 9mm wide which matches the wikipedia entry (9.6mm) rather than the 7mm for the rj9.

Thanks for correcting me.

Thanks for correcting me, too. 

====== added ==========
And - not that it matters, but I was curious why my recollection was 4P4C - so I took one of my 2 consoles off the wall and looked.  When I installed this system in the current location (9 years ago), I actually used 4P4C (telephone handset) plugs.  As discussed above, those fit and work in the 6P jack on the console. 

I apologize for providing incorrect information.

Footnote: I have no idea why 4P4C is sometimes called RJ9, sometimes RJ10, and sometimes RJ22.  If someone here knows, I would be interested in the information.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:03:37 PM by dalecoy »