Author Topic: 2 questions, notifications and soil  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
2 questions, notifications and soil
« on: September 16, 2021, 06:14:19 AM »
1st off, i see that the WL app does not do push notifications, i.e. direct to device notifications, just text, phone or email.
With that in mind, what about Mobilize, does that do notifications and if so, are they push? Sorry, only on the basic plan
I would gladly pay if just for the push notifications...

2nd, mmm, I've forgot, bare with... ah yes, in my bulletin as seen here, with regards to the soil, I see that the depth
section is blank, as I have a Temp, Soil and leaf station with 1 soil temp and 1 moisture and 1 leaf (ignore the 2nd soil temp)
where does the depth part come into it please?
Kind regards
Bashy

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: 2 questions, notifications and soil
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 06:40:35 AM »
1. Not sure what you mean. I would call text or email push notifications - ie pushed from the server to your phone/email device. If by device you mean WLL, well it's not got a display or (AFAICR) a buzzer so how could it show/sound an alert? Could you explain further?

2. Don't know - not noticed those before and I don't have a 6345 hooked up to hand to investigate just now. No clues in the configuration settings for that sensor? Conceivably might be for Sentek soil sensors (which are for EM and not VP2 stations).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 06:49:10 AM »
Hi John, sorry, i explained it pants didn't I lol
What I meant by push is straight from app to phone/tablet, just like you get with any android or iPhone notifications from say Gmail, text, weather apps etc

Re soil, I had an incling that thos depths maybe related elsewhere, although if that's the case, I am surprised they are showing for stations that dont have that feature, I cannot find anything in the settings with regards to depth, thanks anyway
Kind regards
Bashy

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 07:07:38 AM »
Ah, perhaps you mean a notification sent to the Weatherlink smartphone app, maybe with a custom notification sound? (Though maybe that would require the app to be open on the device, unless the feature was more sophisticated than I'm imagining.) AFAIK that's not currently a feature, but it's not a bad idea. Might be worth dropping an email to support@weatherlink.com. You possibly won't get an answer, but it you're in luck then it might get added into the roadmap.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 07:09:06 AM »
You explain it so much better than I, but yeah, that's the idea, and I will do that, thank you.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Liamdog4

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 08:27:19 PM »
Looks like Davis must be doing something with WLL. I just see that I have 4, 8, 12, 16 inches showing on mine too. I assume its for Weathergro. I also see a new chart showed up for the air sensors too showing a week long on the bulletin screen.
Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, 24 hr Aspirated, Soil Moisture Station, Leaf Moisture, 2 Extra Temperature Stations

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 09:12:09 PM »
Ah, perhaps you mean a notification sent to the Weatherlink smartphone app, maybe with a custom notification sound? (Though maybe that would require the app to be open on the device, unless the feature was more sophisticated than I'm imagining.) AFAIK that's not currently a feature, but it's not a bad idea. Might be worth dropping an email to support@weatherlink.com. You possibly won't get an answer, but it you're in luck then it might get added into the roadmap.

Sadly they say that there are already notifications, text and email, I have replied saying they are not the same and that in app notifications allows greater expansion when used with other apps such as Macrodroid, Tasker and notification Listener but to name a few
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 09:14:34 PM »
Looks like Davis must be doing something with WLL. I just see that I have 4, 8, 12, 16 inches showing on mine too. I assume its for Weathergro. I also see a new chart showed up for the air sensors too showing a week long on the bulletin screen.

Even weirder that I only see the 2 depths lol 10 and 20cm
Kind regards
Bashy

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 04:35:04 AM »
Development work on weatherlink.com is continuous and new features are often added incrementally. wl.com is sufficiently complex nowadays especially for EM stations that sometimes further tweaking is needed to distinguish between sensors in the same class. I suspect that what's happening here is that an update has been released for soil moisture but it's been specified to accommodate data from the more comprehensive Sentek type sensors (which show moisture every 10cm for 30 or 60 or 90cm depending on the sensor installed) and the presentation actually needs to be more limited for simpler sensors like the Watermark one. Here's the Bulletin tile for a 60cm Sentek Drill & Drop as an example. (But just to repeat, you can only use & see this with an EM station, not a VP2. Also, it's not a cheap sensor - think UV at least, plus installation especially of the longer ones isn't trivial - needs auguring up to 90cm/3ft into ground, which is challenging in hard or stony ground!)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 06:12:30 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 07:47:35 AM »
That makes a lot of sense, thanks John, i just have a homemade moisture sensor as a beta test for someone,
weird thing is, it was always at 200cb with the Envoy, strangely enough, its working great now on WLL. go figure.

I assume once WL has full integrated that idea of the soil sensors that it will not show for us that don't have the
EM Stations?
Kind regards
Bashy

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 08:03:51 AM »
I assume once WL has full integrated that idea of the soil sensors that it will not show for us that don't have the
EM Stations?

Yes, I imagine that's certainly the aim, may not happen immediately though. There's quite a significant development resource working actively on wl.com these days, but the platform has also become very comprehensive so the available resource has to cover a lot of territory. I suspect that most people here aren't very familiar with the EM (Enviromonitor) stations but there's a large and growing number of different sensors that can be used with EM (something like 250 last time I looked, though there can be substantial overlap between sensors, eg 30 or 40 types of ISS) and many sensors each have their own individual tiles for Bulletin, entries in Summary screens etc. So there's a lot of maintenance each time a change to the UI is made, quite apart from new background development work to add additional software gateways etc etc. And even a WLL station with a full house of 8 transmitters & sensors (there are some around!) has a potentially complex UI .
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 08:17:54 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 08:19:54 AM »
Wow, that is a lot of sensors  :shock:

I've been comparing mobilize against wl and I've notice mobilize is quite slow in updating, I take it that's because it doesnt need to instant live?

I'm trying to work out if the paid version is of any use to me, so far I think yes, I quite like both apps, just a shame about the in app notifications, that let's it down, I would have liked to use tasker or macrodroid to further enhance things. I think they can use the email side of thing but o did t really want email notifications, seems a bit old hat.
Kind regards
Bashy

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 08:42:21 AM »
Wow, that is a lot of sensors  :shock:

If you're interested, the full EM list is here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0515/5992/3873/files/EM-sensors.pdf?v=1625691435

(complicated URL - hopefully that works! Maybe the URL will change in time so will need to Google 'Enviromonitor compatible sensors')

It is just a list of course - you'd need to Google individual sensors for more info on them. It's also largely weighted to agriculture and soil moisture in particular - really not sure why there are so many different makes of moisture sensors that are supported.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 10:39:29 PM »
Crikey, that is a lot, dont think I've seen so many
Kind regards
Bashy